What is the stinkiest wet food you know of?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Were you able to get him to the vet today? I hope he's OK. :heart2: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

The Stewart's chicken liver we use as one of our most reliable toppers. It crumbles into powder so easily.

angelinacat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It looks like you have gotten plenty of answers, but I will recommend Little Friskies--any kind of fish, but especially SALMON!  I opened a can of it the other day for my brood, and I almost threw up, it smelled so bad.  Then I had to examine it to make sure it truly was okay, and it was, but wow!  I don't plan to buy any of that again.

angelinacat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In looking back at this thread, I see he wasn't interested in Friskies, so I don't know what to suggest.

Good luck with him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Were you able to get him to the vet today? I hope he's OK.

The Stewart's chicken liver we use as one of our most reliable toppers. It crumbles into powder so easily.
Yes. It required 3 hours of sitting around the shelter waiting for the vet to give him a 2 min exam. But that's another story. 
 Actually it wasn't all bad. I got to spend some time playing with the kitties in the free roaming room one of which is one of my previous fosters. 

The vet didn't find anything wrong with his mouth. I can't decide if that is good news or bad news. Mostly good I guess. She did see a bit of gingivitis and speculated that he *might* be developing stomatitis and that his mouth could be a bit sore due to that. I think that is a stretch. Gingivitis is pretty common in kitties. She prescribed an antibiotic "just in case" but I'm really reluctant to use it if it isn't necessary.

She also prescribed an appetite stimulant. Well, it's actually an antihistamine that is known to have an appetite stimulating side affect. I gave him his first dose yesterday afternoon. By this morning he was eating better than he has been but he still isn't eating nearly enough. The appetite stimulant typically takes a day or more to reach full effect so I'm hopeful he will start eating more.  Of course then the question would be whether he keeps eating when he is off the meds.

So for now the theory is that he is off his food because of re-homing stress with some possibility that that there is something going on with his mouth that isn't obvious yet. I'm leaning more towards the former because when playing with a wand type toy he will pick up the toy with his mouth and walk around with it. He'll even hold on to it when I gently tug on it.

I might try the Stewart's as a topper. He does seem interested in them but he still spits out the small pieces I give him. I also have some chicken liver powder. That would be easier to try first.

Last edited:

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You want stinky? Here's stinky - open a can of sardines in water.  They have an unmistakeable stink to them.   Break a bit off one and mix it into the food.  Freeze the rest. 

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

You want stinky? Here's stinky - open a can of sardines in water.  They have an unmistakeable stink to them.   Break a bit off one and mix it into the food.  Freeze the rest. 
I thought of sardines but I haven't seen many cats that would eat them. I know there are some that do. I have some sardines in the pantry. I might still try them. 

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
lf you want SUPER-stinky and don't care about nutrition at this point, there is a brand of supplemental dog food that l fed my dog as an occasional treat, and it had an OMG!!! kind of smell. The pets just flocked around it, lol.

http://www.caninecaviar.com/product/beaver-can/

There is also Feline Caviar, but l haven't smelled it.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

lf you want SUPER-stinky and don't care about nutrition at this point, there is a brand of supplemental dog food that l fed my dog as an occasional treat, and it had an OMG!!! kind of smell. The pets just flocked around it, lol.

http://www.caninecaviar.com/product/beaver-can/

There is also Feline Caviar, but l haven't smelled it.

Beaver!  

Where the heck are they getting enough beaver to use in pet food manufacturing! Never mind, I don't think I want to know. 

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just saw kangaroo dog treats at the pet store.  That's the first time I had seen kangaroo here, I know it's available in Europe.

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I might try the Stewart's as a topper. He does seem interested in them but he still spits out the small pieces I give him. I also have some chicken liver powder. That would be easier to try first.
The Stewart's is marketed towards dogs, so you probably do have to at least break it into smaller pieces. I broke them into pieces for my adult kitty.

I thought of sardines but I haven't seen many cats that would eat them. I know there are some that do. I have some sardines in the pantry. I might still try them. 
My kitty loved them! The only problem was that I had to get a whole can and couldn't serve the whole can, so I had to freeze some of them.

I just saw kangaroo dog treats at the pet store.  That's the first time I had seen kangaroo here, I know it's available in Europe.
Hound and Gatos was supposed to have new flavors come out late last summer (Aug.?). One of them was kangaroo.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update:

The appetite stimulant seems to be working. He still isn't eating with any kind of enthusiasm but for the last couple of days he has eaten at least 4 1/2 oz a day of solid food (not baby food).

Now the question is what will happen after he stops getting the appetite stimulant. Fingers crossed that he continues to eat.

Thanks gain to everyone for their help! 

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Friskies salmon so stinky lol i never buy that i almost puke from the smell and my cats hate it haha

shaheena

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Try Fancy Feast  Elegant Medley Yellow Fin Tuna. This has always worked with congested URI kittens here.

Smear a bit under his lips and offer him the food on a teaspoon that you hold right under his nose. Talk to him and pet him, just entice him to eat and be patient.  Sometimes they need a couple of minutes before they'd give it a try.

Good luck

Last edited:

marc999

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Albacore Tuna - positively disgusting smell that makes me want to gag.  Some people love it though. That might stimulate your cat to eat.