What Is The Recovery After A Dental Cleaning?

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
im taking elsa on tuesday and am very scared. what do i expect? they said drop off is between 7:30-8:30am but i plan to stay with her until they at least start.

how many hours might she be there? i know it varies depending on how the anesthesia affects the cat. will she be in pain for days?

i feel so guilty and nervous about this.

if anyone here believes in God, please keep Elsa in your prayers. it would mean so much to me.

thecatlady3

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She should do just fine. Glen had 13 teeth removed and he was just fine after. He got pain medications for a couple days. Other than that he was great.

She might seem a bit loopy after the anaesthesia and pain meds for a couple days but she should do just fine.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends how many teeth they lose. If it's just a cleaning, she should be back to normal as soon as the anesthetic wears off! It's no different than a dental cleaning for humans, except that cats have to be sedated because they won't sit still when you ask them to ;).

If any teeth have to be removed she may be a bit sore for a couple days, but hopefully they'll provide you with painkillers for that. But also, usually if any teeth have to be removed, they've already been painful for a while, so that the relief of getting rid of the rotten tooth is more than the pain of the removal.

Really the worst thing about dentals is the anesthetic, and that should wear off by morning. :vibes: :alright:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She should do just fine. Glen had 13 teeth removed and he was just fine after. He got pain medications for a couple days. Other than that he was great.

She might seem a bit loopy after the anaesthesia and pain meds for a couple days but she should do just fine.
thank you :(

ive been nervous, one of her teeth fell out of her mouth during a check up. the vet touched the tooth and it just came right out. the stench that came out! :cloudy:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends how many teeth they lose. If it's just a cleaning, she should be back to normal as soon as the anesthetic wears off! It's no different than a dental cleaning for humans, except that cats have to be sedated because they won't sit still when you ask them to ;).

If any teeth have to be removed she may be a bit sore for a couple days, but hopefully they'll provide you with painkillers for that. But also, usually if any teeth have to be removed, they've already been painful for a while, so that the relief of getting rid of the rotten tooth is more than the pain of the removal.

Really the worst thing about dentals is the anesthetic, and that should wear off by morning. :vibes: :alright:
thank you that makes me feel a lot better.

shes been eating so much better ever since one of her teeth came loose during her check up. the vet said it was hanging by a thread. :eek2: