What is the recommended feeding amt??

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Raw food givers.
Pls input your opinion.
My 2yr bengal is spayed.
So I search online on her raw food requirements.
Am confused. Online suggest 4-5% of her weight. She is not very active for a Bengal and she is not fat but rather on slim and slender side. This means the recomended online dose be 160gms - 200gms on total per day (80-100gms per day feeding).
But the previous owner insists on 240gm of food per day but she breeding then.
Now since she is payed what should be her food intake amount?
She still completes her 240 gms per day (120gm per serving) of raw foodconaiatong of chicken breast, liver and heart plus alnutrin, but she is also hungry all the time. In mid day she gets small amount of dry food (acana homestead harvest).

So what should be my feeding regime for her be?

Thanks from a confused person

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've heard that you shouldn't feed both dry food and raw food because of the different digestion rates. Dry food takes longer to digest and that can cause constipation if there's also raw food in the digestive tract that is trying to make its way through quicker. Canned food is fine to feed along with raw. You can use a programmable timed feeder to provide a mid day canned food meal.

Most people feed by calories, not by food weight. You'll have to figure out how many calories your homemade raw food contains and feed the cat roughly 20 to 25 calories per pound of body weight daily.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How to check on the calorie amount?

Anoxia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! As someone who feeds by weight instead of calories, I made a range like you did and picked a number from the range based on my cat's activity level. I kept notes on the amount I fed and monitored their body condition on a weekly basis (by pressing against their sides and back to test the padding around their ribs and spine, and through visual cues from looking at them from the top and sides; I'm on my phone right now so I can't pull it up, but there are guides online that score a cat's body condition. It would be helpful if you could weigh her as well) and adjusted their daily amount based on whether they were gaining or losing. I continued this until we reached an equilibrium for the condition/weight I wanted to maintain; although I still check their body condition now in case more adjustments need to be made, I don't do a rigorous check every week anymore.

Is it possible she gets hungry due to the meals being far apart, instead of due to the total amount? I had to split meals into 3 portions instead of 2 for mine.

Last edited:

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just spoke yesterday with the breeder.
She fed 120gm per meal but at 8am and 8pm.
Occasional treats everyday.
So no different from what I am feeding at 10am and 10pm.
Maybe should feed the night portion into 2 parts.

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
By bengal now does nit want the batch of raw food we made. Its the same ingredients. But she like the dry food which we give occasionally. Is it OK to change from raw to dry food and wet food mix? Morning wet and night dry. Am using Acana Homestead Harvest which has more meat in it. Any feedbacks?