What is the proper description for this young lady's coat pattern?

Vinster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello Cat Experts. A little about the cat pictured here, Sydney... (or "Syd Vicious") as she sometimes gets called

-Born stray. Rescued (IE: captured) as a kitten from a construction site. Mother was deceased. I did not personally see the body, so I don't know what she looked like.
-Started out all white, then gradually developed dark points.
-Precocious puberty. She went into her first heat cycle at just 8 weeks old. I understand this is typical of Siamese cats, so she may have that in her ancestry.
-Highly vocal, with a surprisingly deep voice. When she get mad, she sounds like a mountain lion.
-Sweet but BOSSY demeanor. Very people-oriented, social, and active. Always has to be the alpha cat in the house.
- Extremely aggressive to other cats outside our household -- especially other females. We keep her inside most of the time, (and supervise her yard time) because she has jumped the fence to attack the female cats next door.
-Fastest running cat I personally have ever seen. And boy does she LOVE to run. This is why we let her outside. She's less crazy when she gets exercise.

When people ask "what breed is she?" we tell them "Teacup Puma."
DSC_0170 (2) - Copy.png
Sydney 2.png
Sydney 3.png
Sydney blue eyed stare.jpg

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Seal (black) lynx (tabby) domestic shorthair. No particular breed or mix. Gorgeous girl :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vinster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow!
I don't know, but I do know she's amazing, and your description is fantastic 😊
Thank you. And the funny thing is, I wanted to take a break from having cats after our last one passed at age 18. I was sort of miffed when my wife took in this little stray (and named her) while I was out of the country on business. Then we met, and I immediately fell under the spell of those ice-cold blue eyes. She was the reason we had to get more cats though. She desperately needed someone to play with, or she would have kept us up all night.

Vinster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Gorgeous girl :)
...And she knows it too.

I do hope she mellows out a little with age--at least as far as the macho status-seeking, I-must-be-the-Boss-of-all-Cats thing.

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She is definitely not seal (her nose is not black) she is blue or something else. Far more experienced will come along and pin point. Beautiful cat, you are lucky

Vinster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Looks like a blue lynx point domestic shorthair to me since I don't see dark enough stripes, but it's hard to distinguish colours for me.
We've gone back and forth between blue lynx and lilac lynx to describe her points. Her "toe beans" are pinkish-grey, like a lilac, and but she has gradually gotten darker, so I am leaning towards blue.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
She is definitely not seal (her nose is not black) she is blue or something else. Far more experienced will come along and pin point. Beautiful cat, you are lucky
Tabbies don’t have black noses. They’re always pink with an outline.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As others said, domestic shorthair, blue lynx point. The tabby type is probably ticked tabby; that is why she is visible tabby on face and legs, but doesnt seems to have any visible markings on her body.

Point = colorpoint = "siamese mix", and lynx = tabby, when we talk about points. Blue is diluted black; so she do have the black gene, but also the diluted gene doubled up.

Very pretty girl.

ps. She does has some stripes on her sides; which we can see with a little good will . So she MAY after all, be a mackerel tabby. But I think if she were mackerel for real, these stripes would be even more visible and prominent. She is after all, strongly marked darkish tabby; probably carries the tabby gene doubled up. So the markings on her body should be even more visible... So I think these are ghost markings, even some ticked tabbies have underlying ghost markings. Probably because ticked tabby is dominating over the other tabby genes; and so her ticked tabby is covering a mackerel tabby; but on her outside appearance we see her as ticked tabby point.

Last edited:

Vinster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As others said, domestic shorthair, blue lynx point. The tabby type is probably ticked tabby; that is why she is visible tabby on face and legs, but doesnt seems to have any visible markings on her body.

Point = colorpoint = "siamese mix", and lynx = tabby, when we talk about points. Blue is diluted black; so she do have the black gene, but also the diluted gene doubled up.

Very pretty girl.

ps. She does has some stripes on her sides; which we can see with a little good will . So she MAY after all, be a mackerel tabby. But I think if she were mackerel for real, these stripes would be even more visible and prominent. She is after all, strongly marked darkish tabby; probably carries the tabby gene doubled up. So the markings on her body should be even more visible... So I think these are ghost markings, even some ticked tabbies have underlying ghost markings. Probably because ticked tabby is dominating over the other tabby genes; and so her ticked tabby is covering a mackerel tabby; but on her outside appearance we see her as ticked tabby point.
Thank you for the extremely detailed answer. I think you nailed it.

The original vet we took her to (before we moved out of state) labelled her a lilac point, but she was less than a year old, and her points were much lighter at the time. The mackerel stripes on her body (that start right behind her ribs, and continue onto her upper hind legs are still a pinkish, tawny color, but the markings on her extremities (points) are definitely blue-grey. So, bottom line, she's got a bunch of layered attributes, so it's tough to call, but I think "blue lynx point" is probably best.

Either way, she was just the right cat for us when she showed up, and her outsized personality led us to get other cats for her to play with (and boss around.) Now we have four. (See picture of her with best boy-toy Alex)

Attachments