What Is The Next New Cat Food You Want To Try?

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd be interested in trying Caru Turkey Stew. Even though the Caru already seems mostly liquid, I consider it to be a good type of food that a cat owner can add some extra water to when wanting to increase a cat's water intake and the cat won't likely rebel at the extra hydration! (I have a cat that eats canned foods but rarely drinks from water dishes even though her last few instances of blood work shows signs of mild but chronic dehydration -- it's likely from Pred usage.)

I asked about Caru at a local independent store last weekend, and the girl there said, "You mean, Koha?" I said, "Nope, Caru... I've tried some flavors of Koha." -- but she hadn't heard of it. But I do know that one can get it in bulk at Chewy. I might write to the company to get a smaller (single carton) sample.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Sounds like my guys, and my kitchen. I just last week bought a case of Elsey's turkey as well, my guys are big fans of their dry. Not so much the wet. But my guys are not big fans of pate. I was hopeful, as they like the dry so well.
Daisy was like that with wet food. Dry Blue Wilderness Indoor Chicken never fails, but she would not eat wet Blue Wilderness chicken pate. What gives?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've read that dry treats and kibble have animal digest added, (think fortiflora, Edit; this can be used as a topper and works well when used for that purpose because it has animal digest in it) and that this could be the reason that cats who literally won't eat anything else will eat treats.
I don't know how true this is, but it made me wonder...

Last edited:

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I asked about Caru at a local independent store last weekend, and the girl there said, "You mean, Koha?" I said, "Nope, Caru... I've tried some flavors of Koha." -- but she hadn't heard of it. But I do know that one can get it in bulk at Chewy. I might write to the company to get a smaller (single carton) sample.
I am fairly sure they would work with you on that. I looked up stock at The Big Bad Woof downtown, and I don't see the Classics Stew there, either. They had 1 or 2 of the dog stew.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Cat treats such as Pounce, Temptations, and Greenies have animal digest, which I read is one of the sneaky terms for an evil ingredient pet food companies use. No, it is not like fortiflora. You can avoid it by buying freeze-dried raw treats.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the Soulistic chicken in gelee gives my Princess Yue Pants the exorcism.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to cut back on my cat food expenses. I'm cutting out the Wellness Chicken & Beef and I'm going to try Dave's Chicken &Beef because it's a lot cheaper. Also, those FF boxes really add up for all those tiny 3 oz cans, so unless they're on sale, I'm going with Friskies. I bought a variety pack of pate and there are a few new flavors in it. Not the best, but I have to cut back somewhere. With those changes I'll save close to $25 on my autoship.

I'd also like to find a cheaper dry food, but I'm not sure that I want to compromise on quality. It's not a main part of their diet, but it's still expensive when I do have to buy it.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That new Dave's food sounds good. I'll have to take a look to see if they have it in the local stores! And if they do and the cats don't like it, I can add it to the rack with the Rawz (first-loved-but-now-hated) and Koha duck stew (used-to-be-favorite-but-now-disgusting). Grr.
This probably won't work for every cat, but when Ailish decided, the day after I went to the cat food store and stocked up, that she wouldn't eat ANY of the four brands she used to like and would only eat Weruva or Ziwipeak, I started mixing the out-of-favor food with the Ziwipeak and then the Weruva. I didn't actually think it would fly, but so far so good, she eats it right down. I never go with more than 50% old stuff. I don't do it all the time (Don't want to tip her off), but I am slowly whittling down my supply of the now-disgusting Rawz, Instinct, Fromm's and Nulo.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have Caru chicken stew coming in today. I will let you know what they think. The salmon and turkey have turned out to be one they quite like. Took a few times before they really got into it, now they do.

i also have Newman's beef stew coming in as well. I never really tried their pate, as it all seems to have carageenan in it. The Beef stew does not, and a fairly limited ingredient list, no chicken anyway, and i know it can be a struggle to find that. Has anyone trued the stew before? they have a lamb as well i think.

Ingredients for the beef stew

Beef, Beef Broth, Carrots, Potatoes, Fish Oil, Minerals (Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Chloride, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Sodium Phosphate, Manganous Oxide), Taurine, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Pantothenic Acid, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid, Biotin, Vitamin D3 Supplement).

Caloric Content
As fed (Kcal/5.5oz can) 190
Guaranteed Analysis
CRUDE PROTEIN 11.5% min
CRUDE FAT 5.0% min
CRUDE FIBER 1.5% max
MOISTURE 80.0% max
ASH 1.5% max
MAGNESIUM 0.13% max
TAURINE 0.52% min

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And i am really excited to try the new Weruva Silde N' Serve foods :)

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to cut back on my cat food expenses. I'm cutting out the Wellness Chicken & Beef and I'm going to try Dave's Chicken &Beef because it's a lot cheaper. Also, those FF boxes really add up for all those tiny 3 oz cans, so unless they're on sale, I'm going with Friskies. I bought a variety pack of pate and there are a few new flavors in it. Not the best, but I have to cut back somewhere. With those changes I'll save close to $25 on my autoship.

I'd also like to find a cheaper dry food, but I'm not sure that I want to compromise on quality. It's not a main part of their diet, but it's still expensive when I do have to buy it.
The easiest (and most convenient) way to reduce the cost of cat food is subscribe for bulk orders online. Chewy, Drs. Foster and Smith, Only Natural Pet, PetSmart, Petco, and Amazon all do it. If your cats don't get tired of eating the same food all day every day, you can save a lot of money without changing brands.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
The easiest (and most convenient) way to reduce the cost of cat food is subscribe for bulk orders online. Chewy, Drs. Foster and Smith, Only Natural Pet, PetSmart, Petco, and Amazon all do it. If your cats don't get tired of eating the same food all day every day, you can save a lot of money without changing brands.
I do order from Chewy. I buy the largest cans possible too which saves money. With the other brands I was paying about $79 every three months plus another $15 for another case of fancy feast, if they ran out, so say $94 every three months. With switching my new total is $59 and that should last through the whole three months because Friskies are larger cans than FF and Dave's is cheaper than Wellness.

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, I thought both brands came in the same size cans.

What are the differences between Fancy Feast and Friskies that warrant a big cost savings by switching brands?

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to try the new Rawz flavors, especially the rabbit. But I can't find it anywhere! I'm contacting the two stores (sort of) nearby where I have bought the other flavors to see if they will order it.

I also really want try Go! By Petcurrean Fit + foods. Another one I may have to go into San Francisco for since the stores near me don't carry it.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, I thought both brands came in the same size cans.

What are the differences between Fancy Feast and Friskies that warrant a big cost savings by switching brands?
Fancy feast come in 3 oz cans and cost $15 for a package of 30. Friskies comes in a 13 oz can for a package of 12 for $11. So I could get 90oz for $15 or 156oz for $11. I'm getting way more for and for less. I'd rather do that then have to feed them more dry food.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is always a struggle to get Jasmine to eat any wet food. I always add a bit of warm water to increase her moisture intake. She usually only eats a bit of the gravy.:(
I recently tried Friskies lil soups and she loves it. It is not nutritionally complete, more of a snack, but I am happy that she is getting more moisture in her diet.
It is almost all liquid with a very tiny amount of minced meat.
I am hoping she continues to eat it and then I will slowly start sneaking some pate food into it. Hopefully she won't notice.:devilish:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
our Walmart had the lil soups, i picked up a few for my guys to try. they loved them too. our Walmart has not had any in stock since that first day i saw them, they have been out every time i look, i guess a lot of cats like them :bliss:

Tashanasha

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I finally found some good food which isn't to overpriced and has no tuna in it! There's one store that sells Animonda Carny cat food. It's still a bit more expensive than in Europe (it's 14€ for 6 cans of 200g) and they have so many different flavors! But now I don't know which to get :D

Marx is now 5 months old, weights 3Kg and is neutered (don't know if that is relevant, but they do list it in the feeding guidelines) - so should I get him the kitten food or the adult one? Are there any qualitative differences between the flavors or is it just the taste that is different? Which flavors did your cats like?

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Awesome! Those ingredients look great! I’ll let someone weigh in on kitten or adult food since I don’t know much about that.

As far as flavors, I haven’t heard much different about various meat proteins, but you can check them each on catfooddb.com to see the protein/fat/carbs and pick one that is high/Med/low respectively. And it’s up to your kitty to find the tastier flavor. Olive loves Rawz Beef but hates the Dr Elsey’s Beef. She loves Dr Elsey’s turkey but hates another brand. I’d just try them all if you can and see what sticks!