What is the most unusual food you ever sampled?

moo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was tricked into eating rocky mountain oysters when I was 8 years old and visiting the USA. Needless to say I have never been allowed to live it down and yes at the time I thought that I was eating some sort of seafood!!

I LOVE vegemite – it is one of the most fantastic creations out there (yes I am an ozzie). Just thinking about it makes me drool and want some vegie toast – mmm vegemite toast!

auroraviva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm . . . I've eaten squid, that I personally caught earlier that day, no less! I felt kind of bad, though, I didn't like killing them very much.

I've tried Poi in Hawaii and hated it. I was little and a man told me it was chocolate pudding! Yech! How could someone do that to a little kid??

My fiance and I LOVE seaweed and rice. It's a Korean food. The seaweed is cooked with salt and sesame oil and then the rice is put on top and you roll the whole thing up.

cherry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The most unusual thing I ever tryed was frog meet! A friend of me had a Birthday and cook this frog legs. And they also tasted like chiken

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love sushi, eel is my favorite, but it's the cooked kind. Also tried alligator, and it is very chewy. I'm pretty open to new foods. I don't like caviar, tried it a few years ago, too salty. I ate ostrich meat at a Mongolian barbecue restaurant. I liked it, it was red like beef but tasted like chicken.

I don't watch Fear Factor--what's a Rocky Mountain oyster? I'm almost afraid to ask!

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Science Diet K/D dog food-it's just chicken and rice and tastes pretty good.

Alligator-chewy and not like chicken.

Sushi-shrimp, eel and mackeral are the weirdest I've eaten.

Jellyfish and calamari-the nastiest things on the face of the earth.

ttmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's exactly what Rocky Mountain Oysters are.

The first time someone tried to get me to taste them I refused because I knew there were no oysters in the Rocky Mountains.

elisabeth provo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Hissy,
the most unusual food I ever had to try was bull´s testicles. Tasted a little like liver which I can´t stand either.That was in Greece and the relatives simply shoved it into my mouth without telling me what it was Yuck.
Love Elisabeth

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have to share something that happened about 12 years ago. We used to live in Alaska and Mike's friend married a native woman. We went to the wedding and they had seal oil there on the buffet table. Lucie coaxed Mike into trying it. He told her he didn't want to much of it- and dipped the tip of a toothpick into it and put it on his tongue! LOL The look on his face defied description! He did not appreciate me laughing at him.

Later they brought around bowls of "ice cream" mmm love ice cream. There were fresh berries sprinkled all over, looked yummy! I took a HUGE spoonful and OMG! I almost gagged! Come to find out Eskimo ice cream is the equivalent of taking crisco shortening, whipping it up in the blender and throwing fruit on top! Those candid wedding photos taken were so hard to live down! LOL

ttmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL, Hissy, that's a great story--my Mom just did a Pan-American fiesta up in the middle of Wyoming and she serverd Mate (a drink that's very popular down in South America) and she said almost everyone gagged on it. Only 2 people liked it and they were originally from South America. It's actually a quite bitter drink and they drink it with tons of sugar. The only complaint the South Americans had was that my Mom didn't use enough sugar (another difference between those south of the US/Mexican border and people in the US).