What Is The Likely Outcome Of Cat In My Bathroom?

myfamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I posted an earlier post about this mama in a different section because it concerned kittens. I am posting this thread here because it is about the feral mama. I hope that's ok. I found 3 kittens in an outside shelter. I brought them inside, and then trapped the feral mama (she had been eating out of a box trap so it was easy to catch her). At first I had all of them in a small kennel which I put in the bathroom. (I live in an apartment). But then I opened the kennel, and gave them some freedom. They are still inside the bathroom, but have freedom to move around. Mama stays inside of the vanity cabinet. Whenever I open the cabinet door to check on her she spits at me and lunges at me to scratch me. I can't envision how I am ever going to socialize her. I go into the bathroom often and sit in there with her, and talk to her. But I can't imagine she will ever come near me, or let me near her. The kittens do not appear to be nursing anymore. I have some kitten food out for them. Mama is eating, and she is using the litter box. But I just don't know how I am going to socialize her.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you get the mama cat spayed? If not, that is very important. No matter what you decide, to keep her indoors or release her back outside, she should be spayed, that is the kindest thing you can do for her. How old is she? Have you been caring for her for a while outside, does she know you? It would be best if you could give her a room with some space, no cat is happy being confined to a bathroom vanity cabinet. She is used to being outside with plenty of space, so the confinement maybe what is frustrating her right now. Once she is spayed, it might be best to release her back outside and provide her with care as an outdoor cat.

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree with msaimee msaimee If the mother has been spayed and her kittens have finished nursing it might be better to release her back outside. If you continue to feed her she'll stick around. You could make her an outdoor shelter and she'd be fine out there.

jpatootie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you are turning on the light when you go into the bathroom to sit with her, try doing it a few times with no light to see if she is more comfortable. My feral who came inside is muchore open to me in the dark.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some kitties just get set in their heads that humans are not to be trusted unfortunately. As others said, it's probably best to have her spayed so she doesn't have more kittens, and release her back outside. After spay, she most likely will stick around if you provide regular food and water.

The outdoor feral I have came "home" in June from TNR. She disappeared for a few weeks, then started coming around again. Once she realized that I'll always feed her and provide shelter, she moved on to my patio and backyard. I can pet her now and pick her up briefly. If I don't see her, she comes when I call within a few minutes so she doesn't go far. When the weather is nice, I open the patio door for a while. She still prefers outside after walking around the house for a few short minutes. I doubt she'd ever be happy as an indoor cat. Maybe when she's older.

I think most ferals can be socialized to some extent, but when they start out so wild that they are willing to hiss, bite and lash out with their claws, it can take a very long time to earn their trust.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myfamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you are turning on the light when you go into the bathroom to sit with her, try doing it a few times with no light to see if she is more comfortable. My feral who came inside is muchore open to me in the dark.
That's a good idea, I will do that. The kittens are eating on their own, and I think I will take them to the shelter tomorrow. I will continue to keep mama in the house with hopes of socialize her. She is under the bed right now, up inside the box spring.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myfamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I made an appointment to have her spayed even before I caught her. The appointment is in 4 weeks at the Humane Society. Maybe by then I will be able to pet her. No way is she going back outside. I am just a renter, and I don't want to worry about her when I move, which eventually I will. I don't have a long term plan for her, though.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She will calm down once she's spayed and no longer has the urge to mate. I think female feral cats more easily adjust to indoor life than males, who are more prone to roaming and fighting for territory. Is there a way you can put her on a cancellation list at the Humane Society in case an earlier appointment becomes available? Are there any other clinics in your area that might be able to do the spay sooner? I think the sooner you can get her spayed, the more progress you will see in the socialization process.

One of my cats used to hide inside of my box spring, too. It took me the longest time to figure out where he disappeared to whenever I had company. I eventually replaced the box spring, and he is now socialized to the point of coming downstairs when I have familiar guests and even allows himself to be petted. But it took a couple years. If you are committed to this kitty, she will come around in time. She may never become a cuddly lap cat, but she can have a content life and offer her own unique brand of companionship.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I made an appointment to have her spayed even before I caught her. The appointment is in 4 weeks at the Humane Society. Maybe by then I will be able to pet her. No way is she going back outside. I am just a renter, and I don't want to worry about her when I move, which eventually I will. I don't have a long term plan for her, though.
It probably wouldn't be safe for her to be released in an apartment community. Too much traffic, plus some people hate cats. :(

Are you planning to keep her or are you just wanting to help her temporarily and then find her a home?

Unless you plan to keep her for life, you might ask if the humane society has a barn cat program. Such program may be offered by the county shelter instead of the city. Farmers and ranchers are often looking for barn cats. They provide food, water and shelter in exchange for the cats "working" to keep the property mouse-free. That's a pretty decent life for a feral who is too wild to enjoy life as a housecat.