What is the healthiest cat food/flavor on the market?

minniesunshine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 3 cats. Minnie 8, Sunshine 6 and my new baby I rescued is Creamy 9mths old. My older cats have been eating Asian Fusion Werurva for as long as I have I have had them. I now know that tuna is very bad for cats and have been trying so hard to get off the tuna! Sunshine will eat wellness chicken but Minnie still wants her fish. So I have been trying all different brands of fish, mainly salmon and different brands. From what I have read Blue Buffalo Wellness and Nature's Balance seem to be healthy. Also Sunshine and Creamy LOVE crunchies (dry food). I don't understand why. Even when it comes to treats, they always prefer the dry treats over the moist ones. I just want my babies to be healthy but there is so much garbage out there, its really hard to know whats really BEST for them. Anyone's advise on what they give their picky babies ?? What brands? Flavors? And why do they love these cruchies so much? I recently changed their dry food from Evo/ chicken flavor and bought Blue Buffalo, Salmon & Chicken flavor. I also bought Natures Balance Duck and Chicken flavor. Out of all of those dry foods, they love the Blue salmon the best.

Sorry if I am not posting in the correct area, I still don't understand how to post on here

42cattier

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you do web search for cats canned food nutritional information, you'll see tables arranged by brand/flavour with information what % of daily calorie intake comes from protein, fats and carbohydrates. People who assembled such information called directly manufacturers to get this information, labels were useless. One of well known tables is Binky's Cat Food Nutritional Information. Ideally, proteins should be above 50% and carbohydrates below 10 (quoting from memory, sorry), and flavours poultry and rabbit, not seafood or beef (Dr. Lisa Pierson about feline obesity, pickyness, how to train/entice cat to eat other than her usual food, how to introduce BARF diet, biologically appropriate raw food diet).

From my personal experience with very picky Ragdoll cat, who, if left to his own desires, would eat only seafood and mariner's Friskies (that even being fairly balanced, from what I read, but doesn't contain muscle meat, byproducts only): I made list of the high protein and low carbohydrate canned food from nutritional tables, and got one can of each to try. When he was hungry, offered high quality food first, then, if not eaten in 10-15 min, offered his Friskies, but more of turkey, chicken pate and less seafood and mariner's. Guess what: he started eating some brands/flavours.

Now I'm prepared to start BARF diet, by slowly adding small amounts to the canned food. Didn't start yet, actually, but got all supplies and will get antibiotic free meat from Whole Foods store this weekend.

Good luck to you and your cats!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, the best food probably IS raw (B.A.R.F) , but not everyone is willing to feed that).  After that, low carb canned food  is definitely on the list.  By low carb, that means no corn, wheat gluten, that type of thing, and not a ton of fruits and vegies.  Meat should be the main ingredient,

Maybe these articles will help you....they won't actually name brands, but they may help you anyway.  You need to read labels to determine what is good.  Weruva is a good brand, although some of it is higher in carbs than others, and some has carrageenan in it, which is a no-no to some people..  Hounds and Gatos is good, IMHO. So is Natural Planet.  If you are extremely budget minded, even Fancy Feast CLASSICS are ok.

Here are the articles: 

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/choosing-the-right-food-for-your-cat

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/grain-free-cat-food-what-does-it-mean

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/what-makes-the-best-canned-cat-food