What is the breed of this amazing looking cat?

bradmph

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I want one just like it, Male and Female if they are a solid breed of some kind.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Appears to be a wildcat of some sort, not a domestic breed. Where did you find the pic? It should tell you what kind of animal it is.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yep, a sand cat.  I suspect it's not all that far from the base of our domestic cats, which is the Little African Wildcat.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
  I suspect it's not all that far from the base of our domestic cats, which is the Little African Wildcat.

Yes, it was my reflektion too, they come from essentially the same habitat. Our Lybica ancestor is also from dry, desertlike, milieus.

Did interbreeding occured now and then? Possibly, but they doesnt look really similiar.

I mean, european wildcat looks quite look alike, and they live in exactly the same place, and many says no real inbreeding.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's one of those situations where the behavior is too different for interbreeding to occur despite them being fertile with each other--like with dogs and wolves, for example, which can breed but usually don't, unless encouraged to, because they have become so different since they diverged from their common ancestor.

Some small wildcats are definitely capable of interbreeding with domesticated cats. Bengals are a case in point.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can get a permit to own just about any animal. . .but the info did say they need a very specialized environment or else they die of respiratory illnesses. Even zoos have trouble with them, apparently. I don't think they'd make a very rewarding pet unless you lived in their native desert.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bradmph

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank You everyone for the help and Willowy for getting a name for the breed. These cats are just amazing looking and I can imagine they will probably be bred into domestics someday. Their features are so sharp and the strips on the legs make it look like a speedster, lol. Mother nature is such an artist when it comes to creation.Sorry for delay in responding to you all, I been busy with many many things at the home front.Thank you all again!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are very pretty and I don't doubt someone will try to breed domestics that look like them. . .but it seems doubtful that a hybrid breed would be developed from the actual Sand Cat, as they sound quite fragile and difficult to keep in captivity. I'm not even sure if they're able to reproduce with domestics.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are very pretty and I don't doubt someone will try to breed domestics that look like them. . .
You can get a permit to own just about any animal. . .
I heard there illigel to own
The permitting process, in the USA, is so hard, that, it is ALMOST impossible.
I think it's one of those situations where the behavior is too different for interbreeding to occur despite them being fertile with each other--like with dogs and wolves, for example, which can breed but usually don't, unless encouraged to, because they have become so different since they diverged from their common ancestor.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Jungle Cat will very easily make "normal" F1's. Meaning, a male Jungle cat and a domestic female.Plus, very easily make very high percentage F1's. Meaning, a male Jungle cat with a 50 or 75 percent F1 female. The Chausie never caught on, since, the Jungle cat, does not have spots. It looks like a 25 pound domestic to most people.
I think Chausies are beautiful This queen has kind of similar markings to that Sand Cat. but of course the shape of the cat is different. http://chausie-kittens.com/cuxatia.htm

but it's true they don't have the striking spotted pattern of the other hybrid breeds. But those black grizzled Chausies -- now that is a pretty striking and unique look. Here's one on this link http://chausie-kittens.com/cutanis.htm but I swear pictures don't do justice to how cool these coats really look. They're sparkly!

They're definitely not all 25 pounds any more than Savannahs are all that big. they're more like half that size in the later generations. But like Savannahs people often guess their weight as more than it is.

colin1963

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
the sand cats are wonderful looking creatures looking kitteny as adults but that chausie is one very good looking cat....  i want one :-)

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Chausies are beautiful This queen has kind of similar markings to that Sand Cat. but of course the shape of the cat is different. http://chausie-kittens.com/cuxatia.htm
Your knowledge of exotics and hybrids is very very good. Do you breed, own, rescue or work with any? Also, it says you live in the Chicago area. I might be moving there, for my job. If, I ever need a kitty sitter, are you interested
? My kids, are 9 and 10 and are good with them. My man, not so much
. He is scared of Loki and that at times, causes, some issues

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Cat Person. I don't know anywhere near as much as you do. I don't actually have any exotics or hybrid breed cats myself; I'm just an admirer. Not only do I think they are beautiful, but it sounds like they often seem to share some aspects of personality I love in Siamese and their close relatives. I have Siamese of the older type that are now called Thai in TICA. The TICA Thai breed committee chairperson also breeds Chausies ( that was her site I linked to) so I have seen some of her cats and some from another Chausie breeder.
Very cool you are planning to get a black grizzled Chausie.

And showing in TICA, I have seen a LOT of Bengals and quite a few Savannahs. I used to see Savannahs when they were showing in Advanced New Breed, and I was at a few shows when they had "Savannah-Ramas" which included early generations that are not shown in regular classes. And as I'm sure you know, since May 2012 Savannahs have been in their first season in Championship, so I've been seeing the SBT Savannahs competing against all the established breeds, and doing well.
I've also seen a few Serengeti cats at shows. Never seen a Safari.

I wouldn't mind coming over to care for your cats if the timing worked out but it would make sense if you'd want to have someone with the experience owning or fostering foundation generation hybrid breed cats, and I bet you could find people in the area who would qualify if you ask on some of the Yahoo Groups for owners of Savannahs or other hybrids , or other forums. Or ask some breeders in the area if they could recommend someone.

ka9q

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is not a domestic cat (Felis silvestris catus) or even a wildcat (one of the other F. silvestris subspecies) but a separate species, F. margarita, aka the "Sand Cat". More information on Wikipedia, where this picture seems to have originated.