Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

What Is The Breed For This Cat Family?

Discussion in 'Describing Cats - What Does My Cat Look Like?' started by Catsapiens, May 26, 2019.

1. Catsapiens

Catsapiens Thread Starter TCS Member Kitten

May 26, 2019
    He is domestic short hair. We want to know what breed is he. He has pure white body, black tail, black crown on head. Please advise. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. abyeb

abyeb Charlie's Purrson Staff Member Forum Helper

Feb 18, 2017
    His breed would be black and white bicolor Domestic Shorthair. He is very cute!

3. StefanZ

StefanZ Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Sep 18, 2005
    Sweden
    This particular bi-color pattern is called for the Van pattern.

Catsapiens purraised this.

4. Catsapiens

May 26, 2019
    If someone like me want to get exact breed, is there any professional that can provide the identification service? Is there any company that can provide certificate of breed if the cost of such service is not an issue?

5. StefanZ

StefanZ Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Sep 18, 2005
    Sweden
    There are genetic tests. They can rarely pinpoint an exact breed, but may point to a direction.

If you truly believe your cat is a purebred whom got astray, you can sometimes get a "novice" certificate.
    This is usually done by show judges in the proper association.
    But that is rare!

Of course, such a judge can give you half privately hers opinion.
    But this wont never be any real official ceetificate.

There are prob some shady enterprises, whom accept your 1500 dollars + a photo, and you get a nice looking paper with the breed you wished put down in writing...

Catsapiens purraised this.

6. Catsapiens

May 26, 2019
    Thank you for your great input.
    So far I found a very close match and want to know your opinion. Please compare this
    Turkish Van Cat Breed Information, Pictures, Characteristics & Facts and my cat. Focus on several similarities these are white body, crown head and contrast tail, high cheek. Turkish Van has 5 different colors. These are black, tabby, white, gray, triple color. Thank you for reading and futher input.

7. war&wisdom

war&wisdom TCS Member Super Cat

Aug 2, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    Their "breed" is domestic shorthair (as in, they have no breed). Cats aren't like dogs; most (95%) are merely domestic, and if you got them at a shelter or rescue, they almost certainly have no specific breed ancestry.

8. lutece

lutece TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 8, 2018
    I would describe your cat as a black and white domestic shorthair. Most cats are not any particular breed.

Your cat isn't a Turkish Van cat; this is a longhaired breed, and is rare. It's important not to confuse the "van pattern" (a mostly white cat with color on the head and tail) with the Turkish Van breed. Van pattern is seen fairly frequently in domestic cats; it suggests that the cat probably has two copies of the white spotting gene (probably both parents had some white on them), but doesn't indicate any particular breed ancestry.

goingpostal and StefanZ purraised this.