What is the best/cheap cat litter available in Canada?

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, we have 1 cat and 4 9 month old kittens and we are in need of safe, and affordable cat litters. I've tried a few brands of litter, non clumping and clumping. Most of them are quite expensive for us like Yesterday's News, Arm & Hammer, etc. We have also tried those wood pellets that everyone was loving but I'm scared to try it with the kittens because I heard that some get allergic reactions. So now, I am currently using a No Name extra scented scoopable cat litter and I hate it! They cost around $9 for 18kg which is why we always buy it. But it is really dusty and it is bad for us, and our cats. And since we are struggling financially, I really need a good and affordable cat litter. If you guys have any suggestions, please share some good brands! We don't really want to spend too much on the litter. We use around 18-20kg of litter every week or two..

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I blend a good quality clumping litter with krackettes/crumbles chicken feed for laying hens. The fluffiness of the feed increases the mass while the grains help with odor control. Scooping daily is important, though, so the moisture doesn't spoil the feed.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
You really do get what you pay for I've found. I use arm and hammer myself and it works great.

If you are interested in store brands though, non clumping litter seems a bit better as far as quality goes. Compliments, presidents choice, no name etc all make non clumping litter. Non clumping is better for kittens anyways since they may try to eat it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You really do get what you pay for I've found. I use arm and hammer myself and it works great.

If you are interested in store brands though, non clumping litter seems a bit better as far as quality goes. Compliments, presidents choice, no name etc all make non clumping litter. Non clumping is better for kittens anyways since they may try to eat it.
They're 9 months old already. They don't eat their litter anymore. I just want litter that isn't dusty. I don't really care about the tracking part since I sweep regularly. I'm reconsidering the wood pellets again though.

I'm just worried. I haven't tried it with them other than momma cat, and I heard that some cats get allergies. But yes, you are right about we get what we pay for haha.

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is the brand that I tried with momma cat last year.
1589485907992.png

This one's safe right? I mean back then, i think someone told me that its okay to use it.
She used it just fine.

How do i know if they're allergic to it?

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I myself am not a fan of pellet litter in general because it can fall apart and leave a yucky sludge plus my cats aren't shy in telling me they don't like it eather.

I used the newspaper pellet litter (fresh news I think?) after one of my cats had a torn out claw and they started peeing on the rug.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama rubysmama might have some suggestions for you but brands may vary across Canada.
I've only ever tried 3 brands of litter.
1. Purina Maxx which I loved, but it was discontinued. :(
2. I then tried Pet Smart's own brand clumping litter, and though it was a tad cheaper than Arm and Hammer, didn't love it.
3. So I ended up going with, and sticking with, Arm and Hammer clumping, either Double Duty or Multi-cat. It is fairly expensive, but I stock up whenever it's on sale, which is every few weeks at Sobeys. So watch the flyers.

We use around 18-20kg of litter every week or two..
That seems like a lot for just 2 cats. I use clumping litter, and only top it up each week, and a 6.4 kg/14 lb box last several weeks.

I just want litter that isn't dusty. I don't really care about the tracking part since I sweep regularly.
Stay away from the lighter weight ones then.

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've only ever tried 3 brands of litter.
1. Purina Maxx which I loved, but it was discontinued. :(
2. I then tried Pet Smart's own brand clumping litter, and though it was a tad cheaper than Arm and Hammer, didn't love it.
3. So I ended up going with, and sticking with, Arm and Hammer clumping, either Double Duty or Multi-cat. It is fairly expensive, but I stock up whenever it's on sale, which is every few weeks at Sobeys. So watch the flyers.

That seems like a lot for just 2 cats. I use clumping litter, and only top it up each week, and a 6.4 kg/14 lb box last several weeks.

Stay away from the lighter weight ones then.

I HAVE 5 cats lol. AND thank you for the suggestions. I really appreciate it. 💜 I will definitely try to get some of those brands. 💜

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do any of you know if this brand is safe?

received_296132491422470.jpeg
received_654191372094979.jpeg

Were having a hard time looking for actual horse bedding here in winnipeg. Were using wundercat pinewood pellets litter rigut now to try it and all i can say is that, im such a fan of the wooden pellets. Its so easy to clean and im not suffocating everytime i enter the room and clean the litter boxes. The only reason I'm asking about those canwick wooden pellets is because wundercat is around $9 for 20lb. As of now, we still have half as were still using clay with it as we help our cats transition to it. They seem to love the pellets too! I was so happy when one of them used it as soon as i introduced it to them.

HelloNingNing

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The reason why im still asking is because i see some people on youtube use it and i just wanted to make sure.
This is what it says on their site "CANAWICK ecological pellets are made from 100% biodegradable residual sawdust free of additives of any kind. Made entirely of premium quality hardwood and softwood, they deliver superior heat output with very low moisture."