What is the best barrier to use for separation?

Twocoastscat

Crabbycat
Young Cat
Purraise
My 13 year old male cat has limited tolerance for other animals and he’s very territorial and defensive. We have a blended household with three other cats, one golden retriever, and have a continuing parade of foster dogs usually one at a time. The golden and he are fine and he’s grudgingly adjusted to one of the cats - the other two reside in a separate dwelling - but he has his limits. He has everything he needs in my master suite but I don’t think i should confine him too much. I think we need a divider in our hallway to provide separation. It has to be cat-proof so no jumping over, squeezing under, etc. We had been using a mounted bamboo screen but cat managed to pry it open and/ or get under it. Suggestions?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here (see pic below) is an example of a blockade that can be made for any sized opening - even across a room if need be. It is made from shelving that can be bought at many home improvement stores. Set the shelving on its side and zip tie each segment of the shelving to make a 'foldable door'. The shelving can be cut to most any height that you want or need. All you have to do gain access to either side of the blockade is to fold a segment back. This type of shelving can made to go across doorways too. It can also be secured to walls/doorways using command hooks and strings/ropes/ties of most any kind. Then, you just slip the tie off the command hook for access and replace the tie on the hook when you want to close it up again.
Shelving blockade.png

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Here is my gate, created from an old piece of rail and a garden gate, zip tied to each other but two garden gates would work just as well. I used electrical u shaped brackets to attach the gate to the door frame so it opens and closes and a two small carabiners on one side to keep it closed.
D58FB3DE-E249-48E9-93DD-75EB63921562.jpeg

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I haven't personally done this but some people have recommended using a screen door. Good luck and please let us know how you decide to solve the problem.