What is my rescue cat?

mo2pro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
20211026_222816.jpg
20211027_004534.jpg
20211026_222813.jpg

this is sushi, i guess hes about a month old, i rescued him, hes got socks and white chest. seemingly 2 coats, one fluffly one longer and shiny ish, he was/is malnourished (i havent had him but a few days) he has these blue/grey eyes, very pretty. im new to cat stuff and was hoping to get help identifying him, my best guess is a RB or Korat with a tabby coat/patterning? sorry if thats wrong 😅

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mo2pro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i can give info on his behavior/ intelligence if required, also his toe beans are mauve? not pink, they are like his nose

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
He's adorable. What is his name?

Without a known pedigree he's considered a DSH (Domestic Shorthair). The coat will probably change as he gets older. Right now he looks like he has the kitten fuzzies. His eye color will likely change as well. Most kittens are born with blue eyes and develop their final color at a few months old. His color is Blue & White. The mauve toe pads are common in many blue cats. Do you have any pictures showing his full body, especially the sides? I don't see a tabby pattern in the pictures you posted.

Purebred (pedigreed) cats are actually quite rare. They make up probably less that 5% of the total world cat population. Within the pedigreed breeds Korats and Russian Blues are even more rare. It's highly unlikely that your kitty would have any of the genes from those two breeds. Another point against it is that neither of those breeds have any white or any tabby patterns. They are solid blue (gray).

mo2pro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i put in tabby because it looked like he had very faint stripes going on and i just guessed 😅 sorry about my face in this, he
20211025_213705.jpg

always wants to lay or be still on my chest, i took a real close look after posting this and his tips are silver/ white? and he has bits of silver/white in his ears and around his eyes but you have to look for it and do you have any idea what color his eyes may become?
also now not sure if its two coats or just kitty fluff since he was skinny he had to be out in the cold for a while before i found him 🤔

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If the stripes are very faint, them are almost surely just ghost markings. common enough on solid colored cats.
When they are tabby for real, you will very seldom have any doubt about this...

So, until further notice, he is blue with white...

mo2pro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks for the reply! any idea what he may grow up to be? or is blue with white a...breed? sorry, i have a lot of questions, hes my first pet that i am in charge of and im excited to learn everything about him 🥰

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
mo2pro mo2pro
Hi,
Blue (which means grey) is a coloring. Blue and white just describe his color. My favorite cat color combination by the way 🙂
I think he is likely a domestic short hair and the fluffiness is that he is a kitten. I saw similar when my domestic shorthair adult was a kitten.
Cute little guy and thank you for giving him a home.

Make sure you get him sterilized at about 4/5 months old. Bring him to the vet soon if you recently found him for a check up and ask about a vaccination schedule based on the vets estimate of his age.
The vet will probably give him a wormer also.
(If in the US - shelters and sometimes big pet stores have low cost vaccinations. Shelters may also do low cost sterilizations) I have used these with my cats before.

As he is male, get him used to wet food soon if you are feeding dry. Wet food is important for male cats as they are at risk of developing urinary problems if not enough liquid in their diet.
Kittens though should slowly be introduced to new foods to try to avoid stomach upset (loose stools). So keep him on what you are currently feeding then over the next few weeks introduce wet if he is not already eating it.

(Just writing all this as he is your first pet)

mo2pro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
mo2pro mo2pro
Hi,
Blue (which means grey) is a coloring. Blue and white just describe his color. My favorite cat color combination by the way 🙂
I think he is likely a domestic short hair and the fluffiness is that he is a kitten. I saw similar when my domestic shorthair adult was a kitten.
Cute little guy and thank you for giving him a home.

Make sure you get him sterilized at about 4/5 months old. Bring him to the vet soon if you recently found him for a check up and ask about a vaccination schedule based on the vets estimate of his age.
The vet will probably give him a wormer also.
(If in the US - shelters and sometimes big pet stores have low cost vaccinations. Shelters may also do low cost sterilizations) I have used these with my cats before.

As he is male, get him used to wet food soon if you are feeding dry. Wet food is important for male cats as they are at risk of developing urinary problems if not enough liquid in their diet.
Kittens though should slowly be introduced to new foods to try to avoid stomach upset (loose stools). So keep him on what you are currently feeding then over the next few weeks introduce wet if he is not already eating it.

(Just writing all this as he is your first pet)
my mom mixed up goats milk and heavy cream his first cpuple days with us but he took to wet food really yesterday and today and is pooping fine! i saw something saying you can get males nuetered at 8-12 weeks? it seems young, but if he sprays even once my parents will have a cow about keeping him, (im 21 but i still live at home 😅) so i dont want him hurt but i dont want them shoving him off on someone either

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my mom mixed up goats milk and heavy cream his first cpuple days with us but he took to wet food really yesterday and today and is pooping fine! i saw something saying you can get males nuetered at 8-12 weeks? it seems young, but if he sprays even once my parents will have a cow about keeping him, (im 21 but i still live at home 😅) so i dont want him hurt but i dont want them shoving him off on someone either
12-13 weeks you can neuter as long as he is 2lbs and you can find a vet who will neuter him that early. Most unfortunately still only do 6 months old. He's very handsome :) If you want to a great book to learn about cats I'd recommend Think like a cat but pam johnson bennet, it's a great book!

mo2pro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
oh that sounds great! ill have to look up a pdf since im trying to hold my savings for his medical needs (since hes a rescue, i didnt mean to imply he has issues 😅)

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You won't hurt him when he is steralized. He can come home the same day 🙂

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 399774View attachment 399775View attachment 399776
this is sushi, i guess hes about a month old, i rescued him, hes got socks and white chest. seemingly 2 coats, one fluffly one longer and shiny ish, he was/is malnourished (i havent had him but a few days) he has these blue/grey eyes, very pretty. im new to cat stuff and was hoping to get help identifying him, my best guess is a RB or Korat with a tabby coat/patterning? sorry if thats wrong 😅
What a cutie😻 He looks like an adorable dsh gray and white baby to me, agree the tabby stripes look like ghosting but that can change. I can’t see him well enough in the pics to see if he is a look alike for a breed but as said rb and Korat are solid and pretty rare. What a sweetie.
Yes you can neuter much younger now and it helps with over population to neuter kittens before adoption. Many dvm, all of mine, will still not do it before 6 months though. There are reasons for that I believe one is partly because any sedation is always a risk and a younger kitten would be potentially more at risk. Most good dvm will do bw pre anesthesia to make sure kitty is ok but it is not foolproof. For males it is a much lighter sedation and a less complicated procedure. They usually give them a painkiller too.
I wouldn’t give him dairy because many cats can’t digest dairy and can have digestive issues with it