What is my newly adopted cats breed?

Humbertbaron36

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently adopted this handsome 2 year old about 1.5 months ago and would love to get help in identifying his breed. He had been at the shelter for about 6-7 months prior but would not let people touch him.
He was very shy and stressed out at the shelter so I think he was a bit under weight. When I got him he was about 11 lbs and looked on the skinny side but now he is 13 lbs and appears to be healthy. A friend who works as a vet tech said he does not look overweight so he may still be growing?
He looks quite a bit bigger than he actually is because his fur on his stomach is quite long as well as having longer hair on his tail, in his ears and a distinctive white mane. I've also noticed his whiskers being longer than any other previous cats I've had.
The shelter I picked him up at had on his paperwork that he is a domestic short hair while the vet (same organization- they are partner facilities) said grey tabby (confusing...since its the same company)
He very much looks like a small grey tiger with a little brown nose.

Since adoption he has changed dramatically and is a completely different cat so I'm learning more about him.

Some traits I've noticed he has:
20191015_012930.jpg

He trills and makes little squeak noises. I don't think I've ever heard him bust out a full "meow" since having him. Even then he doesn't make the sounds very often, just mostly purrs.

He is very smart. Picks up tricks easily. I taught him to sit in about 15 min and he is a pro.
Always listens when I say no.

Is sitting at the front door as soon as we walk in ready to say hello.

He jumps/stands on his hind legs to rub his head in your palm if you hold it above him.

Has minimal shedding. If I vacum once a week you may not even notice the cat hair at all.

Became very attached to my husband and I and loves the companionship of us. Follows us room to room and sits right next to us. Not the best lap cat but sits right next to you but when I'm sleeping he crawls up and passes out laying on my chest or on his back like a little baby in my arms.

(Trying to think of any and everything that may help but let me know if you have questions to help)
IMG_1497.JPG
IMG_1413.JPG
20190825_092905.jpg

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's adorable! I would describe him as a silver mackerel tabby domestic longhair. Silver tabby cats have black stripes on a white (or nearly white) background, and the base of each hair is white. When you part the hairs and look at the base of each hair, is his hair white at the base?

Most cats are simply domestic cats and are not any particular breed, but that doesn't make them any less special :) Your cat has a unique look all his own, and you posted such great pictures of him! It's obvious that he is happy and loved.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Humbertbaron36

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's adorable! I would describe him as a silver mackerel tabby domestic longhair. Silver tabby cats have black stripes on a white (or nearly white) background, and the base of each hair is white. When you part the hairs and look at the base of each hair, is his hair white at the base?

Most cats are simply domestic cats and are not any particular breed, but that doesn't make them any less special :) Your cat has a unique look all his own, and you posted such great pictures of him! It's obvious that he is happy and loved.
Thanks for all your help! He does have a white base to all of his fur :)

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
His breed? From what I have read, I would say he's a little human in a cat suit. :)

Jemima Lucca

Forever a feline fan💕
Super Cat
Purraise
Look into Siberian forest cat. There’s a pair on YouTube Zelda and? Forgot the other one, but that’s what he looks like to me. I believe my kittens may be also...