What is my cat's fur pattern/colour?

Bimbles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So this is my cat, Mochi. She was sold to me as a mink lynx point mitted ragdoll. (No papers) I did ask and I was told her dad isn't registered but her mother is. As I'm in the UK, both parents have to be registered for the GCCF to let you register the kittens. Now she definitely looks like that but.. what colour is she? Also, I find the whole swirl on her body odd, it is like a marble tabby style but I don't think this is very common ( I know Mink isn't standard but I haven't' seen it before!)? I find myself looking at Siberian Lynx Points and Ragamuffins and honestly they look like her and her dad ( I realise all are pretty similar)

I've added pics of her recently and when she was younger and less..stocky. (Also.. does she look overweight? She's just under 10 months and is closing in on 5kg but if she is a ragdoll I know they can go up to 7kg) There is also a picture of her dad, she looks pretty identical to him just with a darker coat and different coloured eyes (P.s. If anyone could explain how she ended up with green eyes when both parents have blue, I'd love to know!)

Also, I realise the whole not registered thing seems a little sketchy. But, she's not for show, not for breeding. She's just my fluffy baby. Her DNA comes back as 100% ragdoll ( I know some people question the tests but we did both cats we have and they both came back with the expected mix ). She most definitely acts like one, flopping around and playing fetch (puppy dog). She's clingiest cat I've ever known and has no grace and is rather dopey. So she'll always be my undocumented ragdoll!

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
These classic tabby pattern isnt THAT unusual... Eyes becoming greenish; I have two explanations.
1. In some branches of ragdoll, their eyes ARE greenish (often called for turkos), not clearly blue.
2. Label mink colored is often given to points whom have different point genes - one of the siamese type, and one of the burmese type... This gives too a pointed cat, but their eyes are often not blue, because the burmese point doesnt carry blue eyes...

How come your girls got this combo Im not sure. Its easy to cast the guilt on the unregistered father, (whom could too be such a double carrier) but really, both parents could carry this gene...

Compare with the tonkinese cat; whom are shorthaired siameses old type, but whom do carry both these genes... Most of these are blue eyed, but its because breeders try to select the blue eyed for further breeding (or showing)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bimbles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
These classic tabby pattern isnt THAT unusual... Eyes becoming greenish; I have two explanations.
1. In some branches of ragdoll, their eyes ARE greenish (often called for turkos), not clearly blue.
2. Label mink colored is often given to points whom have different point genes - one of the siamese type, and one of the burmese type... This gives too a pointed cat, but their eyes are often not blue, because the burmese point doesnt carry blue eyes...

How come your girls got this combo Im not sure. Its easy to cast the guilt on the unregistered father, (whom could too be such a double carrier) but really, both parents could carry this gene...

Compare with the tonkinese cat; whom are shorthaired siameses old type, but whom do carry both these genes... Most of these are blue eyed, but its because breeders try to select the blue eyed for further breeding (or showing)
The pattern itself isn't unusual but whenever I see ragdolls I've always tended to see a solid coat. Or the majority of their back is a solid colour and then it'll get paler towards the legs and belly (so bicolor). Or is this just a possible trait of the lynx point coat?

Thank you for the explanation 😁

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not sure I’m giving an answer here but my lynx point also has a classic tabby pattern on his sides, so I’m guessing yes just patterning of the lynx point it shows the pattern on the body as they age and get darker? You couldn’t ever see my Mango’s pattern on the sides before he darkened up, he just had face, ear and tail colouring for a while, the typical point marks.
She’s gorgeous btw! :hearthrob:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bimbles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not sure I’m giving an answer here but my lynx point also has a classic tabby pattern on his sides, so I’m guessing yes just patterning of the lynx point it shows the pattern on the body as they age and get darker? You couldn’t ever see my Mango’s pattern on the sides before he darkened up, he just had face, ear and tail colouring for a while, the typical point marks.
She’s gorgeous btw! :hearthrob:
Perhaps you're right! She seemed to have hers showing pretty early ( pics of her between 1-2 months). I'm just hoping she doesn't end up super dark and they disappear. Though comparing when she was little and now, she doesn't seem too much darker - mainly just her points.. Speaking of, does anyone know why they sometimes go from brown to almost grey on their face? It just seems weird that her legs have gone a rich brown and her face went grey and almost black stripes 🤔 I know the dad is identical but I wonder if there's an explanation for this too!

LunarFlower

Genetics Enthusiast
Young Cat
Purraise
I would say Mitted Classic (swirl) Seal Lynx Mink.

In lynx point cats, their body pattern will often show through the colorpoint, especially with her being described as Mink (so "medium dark" contrasting coloration).
This also explains the eyes, as Mink pointed cats can show more greenish eyes (Aqua/Teal) than the lighter pointed cats.
She will get darker with age, but it's hard to know how dark she will eventually become.
The cats that look like they have solid coats are either solid colored cats or lynx point bloodlines that have probably been specifically bred to minimize the body contrast so that they look more solid.
The brown/grey contrast on her face is due to her seal point coloration. If you look at pictures of shorthaired black tabby cats, you will often see this gradient on them as well. Purebred cats are often selectively bred to reduce this gradient of color, but it is very common in the general population. You know she is a seal/black based color because of how dark her facial stripes are. If she was a chocolate these would be brown, not black.

I know the show circuit often doesn't like high contrast bodies on pointed cats, but I adore them. I have two pet-quality pointed cats that have such beautiful, unique coats. If you aren't going to show or breed her, I would just enjoy seeing how her coat changes with time. She's unique and gorgeous!