What is my cats breed?

Mr. Mojo Kittys ma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is on the larger size of average closer to ten pounds than five he is playful and can hold up his end of the conversation he usually has tound pupils but I think they may have slit up once but I won't swear by it. He is gentle with his claws and jaws with his teeth when playing leaves to give me his belly and as soon as you reach for it he wraps my hand in all four paws and starts chewing gently it just leaves little scratches and it is his favorite game. He has the goofiest soft tail you ever saw and he flops ot around lazily in the pure king of the jungle like attitude has tufts of hair in his ears big paws with long hair between his toes and is between one and two years old getting closer to two. He is beautiful bit my grandma and I were talking about her cats over thanksgiving and it got me thinking he is quite unlike any other cat either of us has had before wondering if anyone can shed some light on my new little guys breed.

Attachments

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow you have quite the bright colored ginger boy there! He's very good looking!
Your boy is not any particular breed, he's a domestic red tabby - kind of medium hair length I'd say since his tail is quite furry and he has some really nice tufts on his paws and ears - but I would not call him a longhaired cat.
I'm not exactly sure about the tabby pattern, the photos are a bit blurry. I think he's spotted but I also see some stripes - someone else who is more knowledgeable about patterns will surely know better than I do.
Most cats are not a specific breed. And the traits you mention of his personality are just his own unique self, as all cats, like people, are :) I do think, however, that ginger boy cats tend to be kind of goofy and super friendly - we had one and he sure was that type of cat too!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's gorgeous! I would describe him as a red broken mackerel tabby domestic longhair. Most cats are not any particular breed. He sounds like a great cat, and a lot of fun!

Genetically, cats are either longhair or shorthair. We can tell that your guy is a longhaired cat because he has a fluffy tail. He may develop a heavier coat as he gets older.

Mackerel tabbies have stripes, but it's quite common for mackerel tabbies to have some of their stripes broken up into spots. When most of the stripes are broken up into spots, the pattern can be called "broken mackerel."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mr. Mojo Kittys ma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow you have quite the bright colored ginger boy there! He's very good looking!
Your boy is not any particular breed, he's a domestic red tabby - kind of medium hair length I'd say since his tail is quite furry and he has some really nice tufts on his paws and ears - but I would not call him a longhaired cat.
I'm not exactly sure about the tabby pattern, the photos are a bit blurry. I think he's spotted but I also see some stripes - someone else who is more knowledgeable about patterns will surely know better than I do.
Most cats are not a specific breed. And the traits you mention of his personality are just his own unique self, as all cats, like people, are :) I do think, however, that ginger boy cats tend to be kind of goofy and super friendly - we had one and he sure was that type of cat too!
Yes he is very friendly with us he let's seven year old pick him up even but then anyone else and he is just like you are not my people be gone with you. I wish he hadn't come with a name majesty or maj would have been perfect for him but then again all cats can have an occasional imperial attitude right. But yes definently goofy sometimes too he has always been an indoor cat but loves sleeping in open windows its nebraska so imagine the trouble I was in when closed window season was upon us! I was almost tempted to risk frostbite but luckily curled up by my head on the bed became a close second acceptable option for him. Thank you for responding.

Mr. Mojo Kittys ma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's gorgeous! I would describe him as a red broken mackerel tabby domestic longhair. Most cats are not any particular breed. He sounds like a great cat, and a lot of fun!

Genetically, cats are either longhair or shorthair. We can tell that your guy is a longhaired cat because he has a fluffy tail. He may develop a heavier coat as he gets older.

Mackerel tabbies have stripes, but it's quite common for mackerel tabbies to have some of their stripes broken up into spots. When most of the stripes are broken up into spots, the pattern can be called "broken mackerel."
That is really cool. Thank you. Yes he is lots of fun and a great conversationalist. He has me trained though too lol. The day after I got him I thought it was okay to just clean out his water bowl once a day as long as nothing fot in it like a crunchy of course but he would knock it over onto the floor every afternoon now if I dump rinse and refill by 3ish i save on mopping time! And he prefers a cup to a traditional dish to drink out of. I love it though learning his personality is a blast and the different tones he uses when he talks with me I swear after awhile I will be able to translate more fully from kitty to people talk. I will definitely google more info about mackerel tabbys thank you for responding to my post. I will pass your compliments to Kitty Mr. Kitty.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Aaah! Broken mackerel! I knew there was a name for it but could not for the life of me remember!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As for a breed, most likely one of many, he could have some Maine Coon in him somewhere in his background. They are large cats with busy tails and tufts in their ears and on their toes. I have a much smaller version of him and call him Yammy, because he is the color of a yam!

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's normal for all longhaired cats to have long hair inside the ears and between the toes. However, Maine Coons are bred for large tufts on the tip of the ear, which this boy doesn't have. He's a gorgeous boy, but I'm not seeing a likeness to the Maine Coon breed in these pictures. Most cats are not any particular breed, and are also not mixed with any breeds.

Mr. Mojo Kittys ma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had wondered if he was maybe part Norwegian forest cat but I dont mind not knowing in the end it just seemed to fit his characteristics a bit and they get big and dont stop growing till they are five from what I read. Him not being any particular breed is just fine with me too my girlhood dreams of a dog sized cat can always be put aside again lol. But I thought a fine group of cat lovers such as yourselves was the place to go to get more info and I get to talk about my fun fancy feline. So win win win.