What is going on?!

LunaMoonSky

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok bear with me … I feel Luna is not a typical cat 😂
I’ve always thought she was a diva but recently I’m really getting to the point where I don’t know what to do!
I’ll try to make this brief(!) I rescued her at 11 weeks old - no idea where she came from initially but I got her from a family who had only had her two weeks apparently. She’s supposedly a Ragdoll but I think she’s definitely mixed with Siamese.
She’s 3 now.
She can be the sweetest cat. She licks her bed daily but always wants cuddles at that point and can be oblivious to what’s going on in that moment (she will often miaow to get me to notice her and sit with her to kiss her head and make a fuss of her!) but there’s another side to her ….
She can look at me, fixate her gaze, eyes flickering and literally switch - launching herself at me and hanging off my leg - she doesn’t break my skin biting but I’m covered in scratches and I also have an auto immune disease so it worries me slightly. I know cats can be unpredictable but I’ve always thought it could be due to health so I took her to the vets - they described her as feral and that she should live on a farm (they have to muzzle her!) She’s terrified of the vets - most cats are I’m sure!
I’ve got them to do tests - she’s got kidney stones so she is on urinary care food (about 3 months now) She also had dermatitis in her paw so they sorted that out.
I’ve just done the regular flea/tick/work treatment.
SOMETHING STILL ISN’T RIGHT!
The vets have mentioned a cat behaviourist. I’m in the UK so I will look into that too but does anyone have any advice/suggestions?
I don’t have children but I’m concerned as she can hurt me. She’s sensitive to noises, if she hears a baby on the tv she comes running over and loves music!
It’s like she’s got a split personality and I honestly know the moment she’s going to do it but it’s how to get away in time! I try not to overpet her, I don’t pick her up and try not to wind her up in any way!
I’m calm and talk to her calmly when I see her about to turn on me and walk away but it’s as if she’s looking at me imagining I’m torturing her and then just goes for me!
I will tell her ‘out’ and she will take herself out of the room. I can close the door and leave her outside for a bit before letting her back in. She’s pretty intelligent.
She charges around angry for a bit!
Recently I’ve noticed her going to her litter tray door and ‘punching’ it repeatedly. Shes started doing it with the letterbox too.
I wondered if she was bored but doesn’t want to play on queue! She’s allowed outside - I was told initially not to because of her breed but she needs it! However she’s often scared of people so only goes out for a few hours late at night. In the summer she will happily sit with me in the garden during the day.
This sounds strange but if there’s a full moon she acts so strange, does a running jump and climbs walls almost!
What can I do to help her? I feel like I’m failing her and just want to have a happy cat if I can!
Thank you for getting to the end!
It’s exhausting trying to get it right now and I just need some advice - please :)
Nicola

Lazy Orange House Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Play with her. Run her silly. Play with her until she's panting and doesn't want to play anymore and do that daily. Wands, lasers, balls, springs, whatever she'll go for and rotate the toys. Give her hunter toys. Make her work for her food. A food ball, Doc and Phoebe mice, mazee bowls, muffin tins...Make sure that she has places where she can get up high and lots of things to scratch. Put a bird feeder up so that she can watch it. Clicker train her, teach her tricks. Engage this cat. She obviously needs mental and physical stimulation.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Totally agreed w/ Lazy Orange Housecat! My cat Zorro didn’t get his name for no reason, but I saw through him and wore him down & now he’s a big ol’ softie. It might take time, but it’s worth it! (And fun). In your case, sounds like you might need some…rawhide gloves or something!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am doing talk to text right now as I’m driving. So please bear with it but I felt this is important enough to say right away. Please please please do not use a veterinarian that muzzles a cat. Nothing good ever comes from muzzling a cat. The only thing that happens is you further traumatize and already traumatized cat. The only way of veterinary Hospital HospitalHi. I am doing talk to text right now as I’m driving. So please bear with it but I felt this is important enough to say right away. Please please please do not use a veterinarian that muzzles a cat. Nothing good ever comes from muzzling a cat. The only thing that happens is you further traumatize and already traumatized cat. The only way a veterinary hospital should be handling a cat that has become fractious or upset, his with medication. Calming medication that you give her before you bring her in and possibly even an injection on Saturday to help her once she has arrived at the hospital. If you can find a feline only veterinarian in your area I strongly suggest you do that. Look for a veterinarian that is also fear free certified. This is important. There are many other good ways to handle an upset cat besides force.
A cat that reacts “badly“ at a veterinary hospital is a terrified cat. The cat does not know if they are trying to kill her and usually think that they are trying to kill her that’s the cat will fight for its life. When a cat is that upset they will actually override sedation that is given. Much better for you to take the cat home give her sedation such as gabapentin at home the night before and the morning of the visit. Then when she comes to the hospital they should be prepared knowing that she’s gonna be upset and immediately give an intramuscular injection of something to calm her down

I would seriously consider looking for a feline only veterinarian and fear free certified veterinarian. It’s so important. I agree with you something is wrong. The bladder stones are painful this could be a pain response. There’s just so many things that could be.

also what would be helpful is if you would keep a journal of everything that happens prior to her going after you. Try not to just close your mind to that it’s nothing because I can guarantee you there’s something happening that is setting her off. It might be something so in perceivable that a human wouldn’t even notice it could be a sight to smell sound. There could be a cat walking by outside that you don’t know about. Try to avoid any situation where this happens. You’re gonna have to really be a detective here. But with bladder stones etc. that’s painful that is true pain. Pain makes everybody irrational. She could get a sudden pain impulse and direct her fear onto you. Or it could be a neurological disorder. But what’s going on needs further investigation medically before billing for behavioral. A diagnosis of behavior is ruled out afte. Pain makes everybody irrational. She could get a sudden pain impulse and direct her fear onto you. Or it could be a neurological disorder. But what’s going on needs further investigation medically before billing for behavioral. A diagnosis of behavior issues are only considered after everything medically has been ruled out. She has some medical issues so those need to be addressed. But please I urge you to find a different veterinarian that will treat her using for free practices.

I think it is great that you are trying to get to the bottom of this and figure out what’s going on as opposed to just getting rid of her. Please let me know what happens.

Lazy Orange House Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My veterinarian muzzles one of my cats every time he has to go in. If he isn't muzzled, he blindly panics, but with the muzzle on, he just lies down and the appointment is over in just a few minutes (he's epileptic and needs blood taken every year because of his meds). Conversely, I trim nails on cats who are burritoed and muzzled at the veterinarian, but just sit peacefully on my counter with little restraint. While muzzling isn't appropriate in all cases, it isn't always wrong. Its a tool to be used under the correct circumstances. A veterinarian who suggests putting your pet cat out on a farm, on the other hand...