What Is Going On With Fancy Feast?

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For closure in this particular thread, Purina contacted me, and their theory is that a fly can get through a microscopic opening in a dented can and lay eggs. My can is not dented. I think the theory is preposterous. I buy cases from Chewy. Waiting to hear from them.

Frank123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I mostly get the beef and poultry pate. it's just about all my cats will eat.
I have to say though, the prices have gotten ridiculous lately. I remember buying a case of 24 from Chewy a couple of years ago and it was around 13 dollars. A few months ago it was around 18 dollars. I just bought another case last week and it was up to 20 dollars.

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've had no problems with any Fancy Feast. Mingo prefers the Gravy Lovers and Grilled to the pate, but that's all.
Do you feed the grilled chicken feast in gravy? Because my girl used to love that. Then it disappeared from everywhere. (except Amazon, who were selling it for $60 a case, ofcourse). When it finally reappeared a month or two later, she wouldn't touch it. I agree that they likely had supply chain issues and either reformulated the food or switched ingredients or sources of ingredients . . . not to improve it, but to get it back on the shelves as soon as possible.

I'm done with Fancy Feast. I still feed the "Simply Fancy Feast " line for now until I can get her to eat something else. Not going to try any more Blue Buffalo since they sold out to General Mills. Had some luck with Wellness shreds today. They're still a private company.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. Mingo is the name of a tribe of Indians native to New England and was also the name of Daniel Boone's Indian friend on the TV show. I found it on a site of cat names, and it just clicked.

CaseysMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have a "before" and "after" to compare, but I've been giving Tiny Dancer the FF kitten pates, and she LOVES them! Much more than the fancy Blue Buffalo ones which have their own recall issues.

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm done with Fancy Feast. I still feed the "Simply Fancy Feast " line for now until I can get her to eat something else. Not going to try any more Blue Buffalo since they sold out to General Mills. Had some luck with Wellness shreds today. They're still a private company.
Blue Buffalo sold to General Mills?! Had no idea. Was feeding my cats the BB wilderness dry 15 months back but pulled it when Sister became a diabetic, and it was just too difficult to keep hiding BB from her (she transitioned to low carb Dr. Elsey's which regulated her blood sugar). All the cats decided they wanted Elsey's instead. Thanks for the heads up.

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I mostly get the beef and poultry pate. it's just about all my cats will eat.
I have to say though, the prices have gotten ridiculous lately. I remember buying a case of 24 from Chewy a couple of years ago and it was around 13 dollars. A few months ago it was around 18 dollars. I just bought another case last week and it was up to 20 dollars.
Yes, I get the beef and chicken pate from Chewy by the case. Pricey now. So glad that TWO of my cats will even consider wet food.

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't have a "before" and "after" to compare, but I've been giving Tiny Dancer the FF kitten pates, and she LOVES them! Much more than the fancy Blue Buffalo ones which have their own recall issues.
This question is off topic, but was Tiny Dancer rescued from a car/freeway situation? I read about a Tiny Dancer years back.

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The Fancy Feast did change. ...I could rant all day about how frustrating it is that pet food companies change their formula so often. Mostly their reasoning is not for the pet's benefit but to increase their profit margins. They know full-well that any slight change will not go unnoticed by a cat. How can pet food companies expect us pet owners to carry the unnecessary and stressful burden of switching foods all willy-nilly every time they decide they need to cut corners.
Exactly. I am facing the same issue at this moment. Online wondering what to buy to replace FF Gravy Lovers and perhaps the pate. How many cans can I go through until I hit upon something larva-free and palatable? Thanks for reminding me about mixing in the old with the new. Such an obvious tactic, but I needed the nudge.

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For closure in this particular thread, Purina contacted me, and their theory is that a fly can get through a microscopic opening in a dented can and lay eggs. My can is not dented. I think the theory is preposterous. I buy cases from Chewy. Waiting to hear from them.
Replying to my own post here. Both Chewy and Purina contacted me. Purina wanted to Speak with me on the phone. Both were very apologetic. Chewy refunded me for both cases of FF, even the unopened one. That is a classy company.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
Replying to my own post here. Both Chewy and Purina contacted me. Purina wanted to Speak with me on the phone. Both were very apologetic. Chewy refunded me for both cases of FF, even the unopened one. That is a classy company.
Chewy is AMAZING like that. I've never had to fight them on refunds nor have they ever made me feel bad about it.
I order my Fancy Feast (we moosh it up into their weruva) from chewy only now because I know if there is a problem, they 100% will make it right for me.
Sadly I have to buy my weruva on amazon since the kind our cats eat isn't on chewy for some reason

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Chewy is AMAZING like that. I've never had to fight them on refunds nor have they ever made me feel bad about it.
Yes Chewy is good like that. But we have an issue right now, and it's that I did a bad review about Gravy Lovers and uploaded the picture of the larva. Chewy refuses to share it with the public. They did not post my review. We discussed it with customer service. It's obvious that their relationship with Purina makes more sense to them than their relationship with their customers. Two days ago I ordered cat food from Amazon. And I canceled my Chewy auto-ships. Do you know what they told me? We hate to see you go.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nestle owns Purina, they along with Mars Corporation are the big dogs in the pet food world. It's just me, but I'd trust General Mills before I'd trust Nestle.

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
Nestle owns Purina, they along with Mars Corporation are the big dogs in the pet food world. It's just me, but I'd trust General Mills before I'd trust Nestle.
Makes me nervous for sure. We feed our dogs Purina Pro =/ I keep being told it's a good dog food, and our dogs seem to like it, but I hate purina. Just with 3 dogs it's the best value for the price too, which is part of the problem /sigh.
idk that I trust general mills much either.

Honestly it's crazy though that there is so much wrong and messed up with pet food. It's like lately these days, there is always something going wrong or quality going down etc

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
Yes Chewy is good like that. But we have an issue right now, and it's that I did a bad review about Gravy Lovers and uploaded the picture of the larva. Chewy refuses to share it with the public. They did not post my review. We discussed it with customer service. It's obvious that their relationship with Purina makes more sense to them than their relationship with their customers. Two days ago I ordered cat food from Amazon. And I canceled my Chewy auto-ships. Do you know what they told me? We hate to see you go.
Amazon does that crap too, honestly! I remember leaving a negative review when I found mold in something and they refused to post it. It's crazy

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Purina finished a longitudinal study and began changing over all of their diets to be closer to the study as it yeilded positive results. It took a looooong time for all the new formulas to hit the shelves, as I desperately tried to find one of their damned dry foods that didn't contain beef fat.

Most of the foods are same ingredients but different proportions. Beef fat added, grains reduced or removed. I dont remember them having so many grain free options before. All of their non-vet diets that mimic the vet diets had beef fat added too.

So after switching my cats to this brand, getting finally good health results, we are back to seeing what works for Magnus's allergies. I'd scrap the dry food completely if it weren't for the hunger strike. They don't get much anyway.