What Is Going On With Fancy Feast?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
You're making me feel better about the small fortune I pay for Rawz, and pretty good about the lesser amount I'm about to pay for Redbarn!
We have taken a financial hit (I went back to school full time and am therefore not working at the moment) so I have had to get creative with the foods I feed! Dexter was also a surprise addition to our crew so now I have to feed a ravenous kitten on top of my two adults...

I usually make a batch of raw food but they seem to be getting tired of that, even though they only get that once a day. After this next frozen batch, I think I will take a break from it.

I also feed Redbarn lamb. Evie and Emerson used to go crazy for it and now they are becoming indifferent...after I bought a whole new case, of course. Dexter does not care for it and spends a large portion of time trying to bury his portion...lol.

I have some American Journey and Tiny Tiger on the way, along with some trial cans of Tiki Cat and Only Natural Pet's house brand pates. I'm determined to get them on something that they will readily eat that won't break the bank. We got some samples from Rawz and they liked it ok, but I don't think they loved it. Such a shame. I have high hopes for ONP's house brand, which is more affordable-ish if they so decide to like it.

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm determined to get them on something that they will readily eat that won't break the bank.
Boy, do I hear you! Sylvie likes and eats Rawz, which I am very happy about, but I am always on the lookout for budget-friendlier good foods to include in our rotation — especially right now, when I am working only part-time. Redbarn lamb will be included in our next Chewy shipment; I consider it a very good food at a very good price point. When my budget eases up a bit, I will add some freeze-dried raw (especially Sylvie's favorite, Primal pork) back into the rotation.

I would have a lot more options if Sylvie could tolerate chicken, but alas, that ship has sailed! ::sigh::

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since petco is ridding themselves of fancy feast, Purina has sent new “fancy feast naturals” the ingredients look pretty good. They are a little more descriptive, no artificial flavorings and grain free still. They are 89¢ a piece though. But that isn’t that bad considering the price jump the classic cans just had to 75¢. Just thought I’d mention in case someone would like to try it over the regular classics if their cats won’t eat those anymore.

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
Since petco is ridding themselves of fancy feast, Purina has sent new “fancy feast naturals” the ingredients look pretty good. They are a little more descriptive, no artificial flavorings and grain free still. They are 89¢ a piece though. But that isn’t that bad considering the price jump the classic cans just had to 75¢. Just thought I’d mention in case someone would like to try it over the regular classics if their cats won’t eat those anymore.
Whoa...down here the FF Classic cans are still $0.54. $0.77 is pricey...

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, those new Fancy Feast pates look pretty good. They've also took out the byproducts so now it's just named meats and liver. And no nitrites, either. I'll have to watch for these.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So far I haven't seen a can of the FF Naturals that is fish free. Lydia will not eat any flavor with "fish" in it. Some "salmon" she is okay with in Weruva Pates but seemingly only when it is with beef. But not Beef and Fish... it has to be Beef and Salmon for my girl :lol:

I say feed them what they like, what they do good on, and what you can afford :) Whether that is Friskies or Rawz, it has to work for both cat and caretaker!

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So far I haven't seen a can of the FF Naturals that is fish free. Lydia will not eat any flavor with "fish" in it. Some "salmon" she is okay with in Weruva Pates but seemingly only when it is with beef. But not Beef and Fish... it has to be Beef and Salmon for my girl :lol:

I say feed them what they like, what they do good on, and what you can afford :) Whether that is Friskies or Rawz, it has to work for both cat and caretaker!
mizzely mizzely , has Lydia tried Wellness Complete Beef and Salmon (forgive me if she has and I forgot)? I try not to feed Sylvie too much fish, but she seems to like that particular combo in this particular recipe.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
mizzely mizzely , has Lydia tried Wellness Complete Beef and Salmon (forgive me if she has and I forgot)? I try not to feed Sylvie too much fish, but she seems to like that particular combo in this particular recipe.
No she hasn't! Thank you for the suggestion! I'll have to pick one up to try :) She does like the Chicken one so it might just work for her!

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
LadyLondonderry LadyLondonderry mizzely mizzely ..........Wellness Complete is available in (much cheaper) 12/13 oz cans....just so you know.
That is good to know! I'd probably have to freeze part of it though... Lydia will only eat about 3 oz of canned food a day and then if i feed the same food more often than twice a week she won't touch it lol.

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Not easy to find something cheaper in Canada than in USA but finally! ;) regular price CAD 0.6 and theyare often on sale like 0.50 or even lower. 1 CAD =0.75 USD.
Haven't seen the naturals which look attractive. Synthetic vitamin K is still there but other than that, it seems perfect (if that's a thing).

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
I have yet to see the Naturals in stores around me. All of the reviews I've read said that most cats don't like them....I would imagine it would be because they essentially switched out the McDonald's for a salad...of course the kids aren't going to immediately go for it. It was the artificial flavoring in it that made it "kitty crack".

Nevertheless, I will be buying a can or two when they come locally just to see if my trio is interested. I have been more impressed with Chewy's Tiny Tiger brand, which is essentially FF but slightly cheaper. Mine just inhale the stuff.

GalaxyGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was happy to see the FF naturals. Until I saw stuff my cats are allergic to in it. So it’s not an options. They can have some of the FF flavors as they only use corn starch. :/

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Tried FF Chopped Grill Pate again since it's been awhile since Lydia has had it and thought maybe she would try it after a break... She ate two bites and then didn't touch it for 8 hours. I finally gave in and gave her something else and she ate just fine.

We do have the FF Naturals at my Meijer, but not all the varieties. I suppose I could try them but at 89 cents a piece I would prefer to feed something I know she likes honestly.

GalaxyGirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey, that looks pretty good, ingredients-wise! 85 cents a can on Chewy. I'm glad Purina is offering higher-quality food.
Fancy Feast Gourmet Naturals White Meat Chicken Recipe Pate Canned Cat Food, 3-oz, case of 12 - Chewy.com
I was looking at FF to try and balance out my cat’s expensive canned food. I’m paying 2-3.5 for a 5.5oz can for there cats expensive. I wish I could do the naturals. But my cats are allergic to the gums. I’m lucky my local boutique pet supply store sells the brands without thickerens for cheaper than any place I e seen. For example. One brand coat 3.49 a can. He sells it for 1.48 a can. There must be a huge markup on pet food if he still is making money. Also he’s Frieden raw is $3 cheaper than anyplace I’ve seen. So I drive the 16 miles one way and stick up. He’s even cheaper than chewy.

GingerBear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I hadn't heard about FF Naturals- maybe I'll keep an eye out to try. Anna used to be a total FF addict, refusing anything else for years. Last summer, she started turning her nose up. This was around the time she started having some other behavior changes that may have been due to her hyperthyroid. We're still working on controlling that, but she's fortunately been a bit more open to eating different food varieties. Except the FF! No way, no how. I get quite the talking to if I give her unacceptable food, lol.

cocoanlace

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know this is just one website, and everything on the internet is to be taken with a grain of salt, but...wow. Check out the reviews. This is scary.

Top 136 Reviews and Complaints about Fancy Feast
Just wanted to add my input because it is recent. Found a larva in the turkey flavor Gravy Lovers this morning. My cats only get this gravy so they can take their daily Miralax. It is a treat, not a staple of their diet (they eat Dr. Elsey's). Notified Purina.

Attachments