What is Freya's breed?

FreyaTheKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The great puzzlement. When we got Freya, they didn't tell us anything about her breed, or her health...just that her siblings picked on her via pulling out her fur and keeping her away from food. We speculated at first that she was a norwegian forest cat, which is why she was renamed Freya from Sassy, but when we took her to the vet, the vet speculated that she was a domestic long hair, but I've done research and...there's not really anything such as a dhl, although it does come up...I have always wondered what she was, so I figured I'd post some pictures of her here for you guys to look at, and give me your best guestimate.

I don't have a good camera on my phone, sorry...so hopefully that video can help some.

Last edited by a moderator:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Domestic isn't a breed. . .it just means no breed. The vast majority of cats have no purebred background at all. So that's what the vet meant by domestic longhair. She's beautiful!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with the vet, she is a domestic long hair, ie no particular breed, with long hairs.  Very nice and even pretty!

The norwegians are quite often bicolors, but they have for example, a quite typical, triangularish head with a rather straigh profile...  Not hers.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
SHe is stunningly beautiful! But what has been said is right - 99% of cats in the world are either Domestic Longhair, Domestic Shorthair or occasionally one finds one that could be called Domestic Medium hair. But these are not breeds, they are descriptions.

I will repost what I have said elsewhere, which is a very brief and generalised paragraph on cat ancestry:

People get very confused about cat breeds, thinking they are like dogs - that every one must be a breed or at least a breed cross. But that is not so in felines. This is because dogs have been bred for thousands of years, with specific purpose or appearance in mind, so now there are hundreds of very different looking breeds. People only began to deliberately breed cats for specific traits a couple of hundred years ago. Before that, cats evolved naturally as they spread around the world, developing different characteristics to cope with their environment. So we have long-haired, larger cats who come from northern forests, thinner, light-coloured cats with dark extremities who developed in hot conditions, cats with longer legs who needed to run fast to survive, and even some cats who love water, no one is quite sure why. There were also natural chance mutations that gave us the original tailless and hairless cats. So the ancestors of our Persians, Siamese, Maine Coons, Manx, Russian Blues, and all the rest of the 'breed' cats were originally selected from the wild population and interbred to what we have today. It is the same with colours - the original African wild cats that were the ancestors of all our domestic cats were tabby in style and colour, and this remains the most common colour pattern. The vast majority of our domestic cats today have no connection with any 'breed' but may well share common genes with them. So your cat may show characteristics of a number of 'breed' cats without being one.