What is best for a community stray when relocating

12tiannas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone!

I want to know if I should/could take a stray community cat (Mr. Green) with me when I relocate. When I first moved to the Jax area I was told that there was a community stray that had been around for five years. Two neighbors said that they occasionally feed him. For the first year I just would pet the cat whenever I saw him. This escalated to where he would run to my car when I pulled in for pets. Then he started sleeping on my lanai and front steps throughout the day. The cat then started darting in my house and napping on my guest bed for 3+ hours. He even has done a few overnights when it was below freezing out.

This winter I noticed the cat was very thin, meowing a lot and rubbing against my legs. I read online that this could mean he was hungry. I bought cat food and started out just giving him a little bit. The poor cat gobbled it up and continued to meow and cry for food. I now feed him a normal amount at the same time each day. Everyday, I feed him, the cat strolls around the neighborhood for a bit, and then he comes back to my house to sleep. He either will sleep indoors for hours or sleep inside my lanai or front step. I feel like he is my cat. Somedays I won't see him for a few hours because he is roaming. Other days the cat is literally by my house all day. He does prefer to spend the night outside in the wild. Also, Mr. Green is extremely territorial. He doesn't allow other strays or house cats to come near my house or the houses next to me and across. He almost patrols the area. So this has me worried about relocation.

I will be moving in 7 months and I don't know what to do about the cat. The neighbors said they fed him before but it obviously wasn't enough. I am worried he is dependent on my feeding and will starve when I leave. Can I trust neighbors to feed him if I leave food? I did read online that moving a community cat is not a good idea. I heard he could attempt to run away or be stressed and stop eating. So does this mean I can't take him with me? He is a bit aggressive and getting him into a carrier and driving him an hour will be quite stressful for both of us. I also don't think he will do well indoors for extended periods of time. I want to do what is best for Mr. Green. I do want to continue to take care of the sweet cat since I love him. Does anyone have any advice on what I should do in this situation?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
I don't think the phrase community cat really applies here, in large part because of this
This winter I noticed the cat was very thin
and so, no, you can't trust them to feed him.

In addition, this is not a feral cat - he's a stray that was someone's pet at one time. No feral cat would ever be rubbing against your legs, waiting for you to arrive home so he can get petted, and absolutely would not be coming inside the house.

My strong recommendation is that over these next months, begin letting him outside less and less. This cat has adopted you, and needs you.

Below are some articles that may have helpful tips and information for you. They aren't lengthy and can be useful guides.

The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside

getting him into a carrier and driving him an hour will be quite stressful for both of us.
There are a lot of us who have indoor-only cats who live through this every time we have to go to the vet. There are calming products available that can be helpful.

Beware The Dreaded Cat Carrier ...maybe not the best title :)

How To Move With Your Cat To A New Home In A Safe Way

Traveling With Cats [Inc. 36 actionable tips]

How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home

Bringing Home A New Cat – The Complete Guide

9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment

How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)

First-time Cat Owner’s Guide

Regarding calming products, Only Natural Pet has a calming product called Just Relax Calming spray with essential oil (catnip oil).

There's this one, be sure and scroll all the way down the page;
Bach Flower Remedies - Rescue Remedy Pets Dogs Cats Horses Birds

Also, there is ThunderWunders calming chews, Richard's Organic Pet Calm drops, Naturevet Hemp, HomeoPet Anxiety Relief, Head to Tail Calming, Relaxivet Quiet Moments Cat treats, GNC Calming formula, and there is Calm-o-mile, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy - UK (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-eze, Pet Organics No Stress, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has other calming products, Pet Naturals also has one I believe, and there are others.

Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course chewy, also there's Petwishpros, animaleo, 1-800-petmeds, Petco and PetSmart, and other pet stores.

There is also a product called a lickimat which could be helpful, as cats can be calmed by the process of licking. The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats

This post talks about some other products;
Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I echo all of the above from Furballsmom Furballsmom , but wanted to add just a little something. You have 7 months to work through some of this, so I would work on getting him to spend more and more time in the lanai. I would practice enclosing him in the lanai for very brief periods of time, and then longer and longer times - at first with you being there with them during confinement. By doing so, if the place you are moving to can accommodate a cat enclosure/catio - preferably built in advance of your move there - that would be his new spot and he would have the outdoors to enjoy, similar to what he has at your house, but not be able to get out and get lost. I would definitely make a plan to take him with me if it were me!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

12tiannas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both for reaching out to me about this issue. I worry about that cat and if I am doing the right thing. Getting him in the house and staying there is never an issue. Mr. Green loves being indoors when it is rainy or cold. This week it has been both. He has taken to napping on either my bed or the guest one 8 hours a day. He does like his outdoor time in the evening. That will be the main change for him.

I guess what I really needed was confirmation that I am doing the right thing by taking him with me. I read this article online, Safe Relocation
The information in that scared me. I am concerned that it will be stressful for him and it is wrong to remove him from an area he has made his home for years. However, Mr. Green basically sleeps inside or around my house all day long. It is rare when I can't find him in the area. So I am taking this as meaning he has decided he is my cat. I go back and forth on if it is the right thing for him. Hearing other people say TAKE HIM has been really nice. Thank you again.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If he spends his time mostly with you and in/around your house, getting him to adapt to a new location with you down the road seems to be a better choice than leaving him behind. One of the issues related to what you read has to do with his socialization with other stray cats, which apparently doesn't seem to be an issue with him since he doesn't appear to like other strays in the area. The other major issue in relocating him is if you plan to give him free reign to roam in unfamiliar territory once you move. If you do, then don't relocate him.

IMO, if you want to relocate him, you need to treat him as a stray that you want to make your own and bring indoors. That is why I thought if you work with him now, given the months of time you have, that will help with the transition to a new home. Maybe read these articles as a starting point in seeing if you want to develop a plan.

The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside (repeat of one Furballsmom Furballsmom already gave you)

Adopting A Stray Cat

I am hoping that some of the members on this site that have actually homed stray cats will soon see your post and offer some tips for you and their wisdom about what you think you might want to do for this cat.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You have plenty of time to get this boy comfortable with being a house cat again (and like the others, I'm sure he was, at one time). I'm thinking that Jcatbird Jcatbird , who has made a lifestyle of bringing both strays and ferals into her home, will be here soon with some definite tips for you. This is very doable, especially given your time frame.

One "tech tip" that helps ALL cats when moving...place an old, cheap sheet that you can sacrifice on his favorite napping spot and let him shed ALL OVER IT. Just before moving day, cut that sheet into 12-18" squares, fold them FUR SIDE IN, and place in a plastic bag. When you get to the new house, before even allowing your cat (yes, he's "your cat" now) out of his travel container, place a couple of these furry squares in each room, unfolded. That way, no matter where he goes, he will smell himself and know that he is home!

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry if I missed this - is he neutered?

As others have said, the guidelines you’re reading about are pretty much exclusively about ferals, who are unsocialized and not friendly toward humans.

I work in rescue, and to be frank, there is a culture that encourages lying about this even where ferals are concerned.

This is simply because too many inexperienced people will choose to take ferals with them without moving them properly (by allowing a period of acclimation via confinement for 3-6 weeks), or will otherwise think it’s okay to relocate them haphazardly to a family members barn, or to just dump them wherever.

So it doesn’t necessarily even apply to ferals if you have someone willing to do the work and do it right.

But when it comes to strays like your boy (socialized, friendly toward humans) it is always recommended to pull them off the street if it means giving them a home and family. Always.

In no way does the relocation rule apply to strays, except in a more limited way as far as how you do it if you intend to keep them as an outdoor cat - but this applies to pet cats with outdoor access too!

To be honest, it sounds like this cat is already yours ;)

Someone else also mentioned the fact that not being adequately fed means he’s not really a community cat, anyway. This is also true.

If - without you - he doesn’t have someone regularly feeding and sheltering him (either in their home or by providing an outdoor shelter), keeping him updated on vaccinations, having him neutered (if not already), or willing to get him critical vet care if it’s ever needed, then this isn’t a cat in a stable, managed colony. He is simply a homeless street cat surviving on random, intermittent kindness from strangers who needs help.

We took in a stray a couple years ago who several neighbors fed reliably, and one even had him neutered and vaccinated. But he didn’t have shelter - any time it stormed, we’d go out looking for him. He always came when we called, but when it was raining or storming, he’d only meow in response, and we’d find him cowering and soaking wet under random neighbors’ bushes every time.

So even though he had a reliable food source, it was clear he still did not have a home. Now he does, safely inside with us.

It says quite a lot about you that you are so worried about doing right by this cat, doing your research, and coming here to ask questions!

But we can all assure you, all of the discouragement regarding relocating community cats does not apply to your boy at all! He will be much happier and safer inside with you and whenever you move.

And it is evident that you are going to make an incredible pet parent, and he couldn’t have been luckier to find you :)

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! He has chosen you. He loves you, trusts you and depends on you. In my opinion, he would be in terrible trouble now if you left him behind. He needs you. You saved his life by helping him to survive all this time. Outside life is very difficult for a stray. He runs others off for more than one reason. Besides just defending territory, he is still making sure that he is safe and has the necessities to survive. As he gets older, this will get much harder. Especially if he is not neutered. I am wondering if someone already had him neutered since he stays put. I’ve brought in both starts and ferals and I strongly suggest you start preparing him to be an inside only cat. A catio is great if you can manage that after the move but letting him roam is letting him risk cars, predators, other accidents, humans that dislike cats and exposure to disease. We all want out kitties to enjoy the sunshine but there are other ways to give them joy and a great view, fresh air etc. I have dedicated one room as a “cat room”. No curtains on the windows there so the cats see everything! Lol The sun comes in, they have lots of places to climb up, things to use as kitty caves, toys and room to run around. You have time to help him adjust so please consider keeping him in later. When you first relocate him it is very necessary to keep him
inside. If eight weeks can be managed, that gives him to to get his bearings. He’ll need to be able to look out windows, learn the outside creatures, noises and generally feel comfortable that this is his new location. This is key to having him settle in to a calm new life.,I have actually found that of the dozens of cats I have brought in, only one has any desire to go outside now and even then, she doesn’t want to be out without me. She is now trained to a harness and leash. BTW, she was a feral. Much of the information out there about ferals and strays is way behind what we have learned about cats. You’ll find your most reliable source for cat gel is TCS so I’m very glad you posted here. Like you, originally I came here for support. I stayed because I found it to be a great place.
I suggest you begin by giving kitty as much time indoors as possible with extra attention, some toys, treats and get a carrier. Put an old shirt or towel with your scent inside it and give all treats, feedings beside or inside the open carrier. Let kitty start using that as a place for fun, cat naps and happy encounters. Make it a safe haven. You may need to put it where he normally likes to nap or eat. If this becomes his safe retreat, travel won’t be a problem. We have members who had to move and wanted to take a feral they had been feeding. Following guidelines, they socialized the feral and then traveled on an airplane from one country to another successfully. One member went from India to Canada and the kitty had to get used to a new home, a new Daddy and two dogs but it worked! From feral to international traveler! You can do this. You’ve already got his love and trust. The rest is just in following a process and everyone here will be happy to help you through the details. One other plus about the carrier becoming a favorite spot, any future vet visits are much easier for you and kitty. Taking a familiar piece of home every where you go is a huge comfort to us all. Please keep us updated and ask any questions that come to mind. Bravo for saving that kitty and giving him a beloved guardian! :petcat::catlove::catrub:

12tiannas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, thank you everyone! So nice to hear what you all have to say. I am so extremely relieved to hear that I am not basically killing Mr. Green taking him in the move. Every one of you has really offered me something helpful to think about.

Furballsmom Furballsmom -the calming products in particular are going to be great. He is a big snacker and having something to soothe him on the hour drive will be invaluable.
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner - You obviously read the article I posted that scared me and put my mind at ease about doing the right thing on bringing him more indoors.
Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 -The fur squares idea! Yay! I was already thinking of doing that with a blanket. That is a neat trick and a very good idea to set up in his room before he arrives at his new home.
moxiewild moxiewild -It's like you knew everyone of my worries and touched upon it! Telling me that he is homeless and that it is always the right move to take him in just really makes me feel more comfortable to adopt him. Also your personal story about the kitty in the rain without proper shelter is the same thing that happened to Mr. Green. As soon as it starts to sprinkle I go outside and I can see him booking it towards me. Ah, just so great hearing your comments. He is also neutered by the way.
Jcatbird Jcatbird -You are right. I need to get him comfortable inside. I am going to have an extra room that could be a cat room too. The idea of making his carrier a "safe haven" is smart too. I want him to not freak out about being confined. Those are some very nice tips!

Again, everyone thank you and I am overwhelmed by the support. I reached out to this group as a last ditch effort for some help. I asked friends and family what to do but nobody is a cat owner. Get this...everyone always said the same thing, "if you want a cat, just get one from a pet store or shelter." They basically said forget about Mr. Green and replace him with someone else. Can you believe that?! It is so refreshing hearing from people who get that I am worried about this particular cat. I feel so much better now and Mr. Green is going to have a way better life. He is going from a dead end road in the city where the houses are on top of each other. There are a lot of cats around that he fights to defend his territory. He used to get sporadic food and water from puddles. In 7 months he is going to move to a house more in the country with lots of land to eventually roam once he is acclimated (and with a GPS collar) and no road nearby. He is also going to have his own room since I have the space and it is alarming how many cat products I have acquired in such a short time and they need to go somewhere! Overall, he is now loved, safe and part of my family. You all helped pushed my decision to give him a good home.
I'll definitely post how our move goes and him in his new turf. Thank you again!
IMG_3771.jpeg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Glad you will give Mr. Green a forever home with you!!! I l love his pic!!

In 7 months he is going to move to a house more in the country with lots of land to eventually roam once he is acclimated (and with a GPS collar) and no road nearby.
But, really, really consider a catio or cat enclosure!! Being in the country with no road nearby greatly reduces harm to him from traffic, but it will actually make matters worse in trying to find him if he should start to roam away from your house. And, it will be more dangerous from a wild animal perspective as well. I would cry my eyes out if a year from now you posted on this site that Mr. Green didn't come home one night...

Having said that, please keep us posted on your progress with Mr. Green as you 'prep' him for the 2nd - and better - half of his life!

Last edited:

12tiannas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well now I feel like a goober! I thought catio was a typo and you were saying "ratio" and I kept wondering what ratio you were talking about. Never heard of that before. Now seeing it online, that is super cool! I will totally consider that for Mr. Green. I want him to have outside time that is safe and a catio looks perfect. Some of the choices look seriously fun too. I also have been hunting for good toys for him since he is now my cat.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well now I feel like a goober! I thought catio was a typo and you were saying "ratio" and I kept wondering what ratio you were talking about. Never heard of that before. Now seeing it online, that is super cool! I will totally consider that for Mr. Green. I want him to have outside time that is safe and a catio looks perfect. Some of the choices look seriously fun too. I also have been hunting for good toys for him since he is now my cat.
LOL!!! Bottom line is that you see what it can be and think it might work for Mr. Green - that is all that matters in the end!!