What is a mentor?

Catsura

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m looking to be breed cats. Ragdoll specifically. I have done my research on and waited patiently. I heard you must have a mentor to have breeding cats. What is a mentor? What do they do? When could I find one? Will mentors help you start your cattery?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
A mentor is not a requirement but can be a huge help when you're getting started. This would be an experienced breeder who can walk you through the process of getting your cattery registered, showing cats, etc. It's useful to have someone who works with the same breed, but again it's not absolutely necessary.

Are you looking at CFA or TICA? These are the largest associations in the U.S. Both of those associations have a Mentoring programs. You can find more information at
CFA Mentoring and TICA Mentorship Program.

If you're not in the U.S. we have members who can direct you toward associations in other countries.

Good luck with your new venture.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A mentor or mentors are invaluable. Generally start by showing a neuter, this helps with learning the breed standards and networking with other breeders during the years of showing neuters before starting out breeding.

By then relationships will be well formed for getting a breeding cat and that breeder should then mentor you, assist with finding a stud to use that will best compliment your girl, answer any and all questions along the way.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A mentor of the same breed is essential.
But you can have another mentor of other breed, or say, an experienced fosterer, whom did took care about a number of litters... THIS experience is precious.

So, if you are a wanna be breeder, its a good idea to get some invaluable training, if you are fostering home for a couple of high preg cats. Cooperate with some shelter nearby....
Just be sure to have good hygiene conditions. Dont mix gears used for these with the gears you will use for your purebreds. Clean off the rooms if necessary.
Not the dangers for contagions are big, they arent. But "on Ceasars wife there shouldnt not even be a shadow of doubt on her pureness and innocence"