What Is A Good Hand Held Vac For Picking Up Cat Litter?

Frank123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has a habit of kicking litter out of her box when she uses it. I do have one of the welcome mat type rugs under the box to keep the floor clean. I am looking for a hand held vac powerful enough to pick up the litter instead of having to drag out the full size vac all the time. I do have one of those Dust Buster clones, but as the name applies is only good at picking up dust but is totally useless with litter.
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't bother with the Dirt Devil Easy Lite cordless vacuum. I have one and it's useless at picking up cat litter:gaah: The filter just gets clogged with litter dust and cat hair which results in what little suction it has to decrease and the battery draining very quickly. artiemom artiemom has a Shark hand held vac that I believe she says works pretty well.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the best very small and lightweight vacuum i've found, that does an excellent job of sucking up stray cat litter from the floors is the Amor All 2.5 gallon 2 peak HP, utility wet/dry vacuum. i love this vacuum! it's bagless, is like a shop vac, and it's got great suction. and...it's got a 'nice price'. i actually use this vacuum to vacuum my whole house.

Kreatorcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A big +1 on the wet/dry utility vacuums for cat litter.

Also note,I got Kim these special mats to put outside the litter box that catch the litter off the cats paws. They work great. But we have the covered boxes that have a hole they enter to keep them from kicking out the litter.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the exact same one that neely neely has. I really like it.

I picked it up at Bed Bath & Beyond.

I just discovered it was a 'pick' from Consumer Reports.
The only thing is, it does not hold power for very long, but it is long enough for me to lift up the stray litter. I like the attachments. They are good for getting into corners, even on rugs. I am really happy with it..

I do have to empty it quite often--Artie is a deep kicker. I did find some replacement filters on Amazon.
The only negative thing, If I remember correctly, I think it is or will be a discontinued model? or was that with the filters?? They say they are washable.. but... who know show long they will last, that way.

It is really easy. I store it in the corner. Charging time is about overnight. There is a green light which goes off when it is fully charged.

When I was looking at them, it was a toss up between the real B&D Dustbuster and this one. I think the price, the name of "Pet" vacuum, the availability of disposable filters, and the Shark Name-- I like their smaller vacuum-- all persuaded me to buy ...
Good Luck..

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
artiemom artiemom , you might consider trying generic filters for your shark hand vac -- if the model is discontinued. here are some i found for model #sv780 -- 3pk Replacement Dust Cup Filters, Fits Shark SV736, SV748, SV738 & SV780, Compatible with Part XSB726N & XF769

i've bought generic replacement filters for my dirt devil canister vacuum from crucial, in large part because the dirt devil brand filters were pretty much always out of stock/very hard to find, and they were really very good -- and at a reasonable price too!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
artiemom artiemom , you might consider trying generic filters for your shark hand vac -- if the model is discontinued. here are some i found for model #sv780 -- 3pk Replacement Dust Cup Filters, Fits Shark SV736, SV748, SV738 & SV780, Compatible with Part XSB726N & XF769

i've bought generic replacement filters for my dirt devil canister vacuum from crucial, in large part because the dirt devil brand filters were pretty much always out of stock/very hard to find, and they were really very good -- and at a reasonable price too!
Thanks,
When I saw that the model was being discontinued.. who knows if that is true??
I stocked up from Amazon, on filters. I have 2 of the 3packs. I have used 2 of them..