What is a decent OTC alternative to Revolution for a cat with FIV?

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Buddy has been on Revolution for ages, but we've lost our vet, and need some kind of OTC alternative for flea control as a stopgap measure to tide us over for a bit.

Any suggestions?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
All of the flea treatments that enter the bloodstream (like Revolution) require prescriptions, so you will have to go with one that functions via the sebaceous glands instead. The closest to Revolution (in terms of the coverage) is probably Advantage Multi. But, I don't think it covers ticks like Revolution. There is also Frontline Plus, but it covers even less.

If I have my notes done accurately: Revolution covers adult fleas, ticks, roundworms, ear mites, prevents heartworm & treats mange. Advantage Multi covers adult fleas, roundworms, hookworms, ear mites, & prevents heartworm, and Frontline Plus covers all flea stages and ticks. They all have different active ingredients as well. There are others, but these are probably the most well-known brands. Most of the off brands mimic the latter 2 of these 3.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of the flea treatments that enter the bloodstream (like Revolution) require prescriptions, so you will have to go with one that functions via the sebaceous glands instead. The closest to Revolution (in terms of the coverage) is probably Advantage Multi. But, I don't think it covers ticks like Revolution. There is also Frontline Plus, but it covers even less.

If I have my notes done accurately: Revolution covers adult fleas, ticks, roundworms, ear mites, prevents heartworm & treats mange. Advantage Multi covers adult fleas, roundworms, hookworms, ear mites, & prevents heartworm, and Frontline Plus covers all flea stages and ticks. They all have different active ingredients as well. There are others, but these are probably the most well-known brands. Most of the off brands mimic the latter 2 of these 3.
Awesome! Thanks oodles! *hugs you tight*

Since Buddy is strictly an indoor cat, fleas are our primary concern at this point. Unfortunately, we had a mild winter, and we couldn't spray the yard for fleas or anything else because Dad was so sick. So we're just trying to do the best we can for now under the circumstances.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Then, you could probably get away with Advantage II (rather than Adv Multi) which treats all stages of fleas (adults, larvae, eggs), but nothing else - assuming it works better for you than it is for me!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Then, you could probably get away with Advantage II (rather than Adv Multi) which treats all stages of fleas (adults, larvae, eggs), but nothing else - assuming it works better for you than it is for me!!
Thankfully, we have tons of vacuum cleaner bags, so I can at least vacuum like crazy while we're hunkered down. :)

We also have nearly a whole bag of food grade diatomaceous earth that I can put around the house until I can buy something to spray the yard for fleas. We've been using beneficial nematodes, but it may be too late in the year for that sort of thing now. I'll have to check. Our cats never go outside, but there are lots of neighborhood cats that like to lounge around in our backyard since we're the only family on our block that doesn't have a dog.

Thanks again! :heartshape: