What If She Is Pregnant??

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I have posted before under: Abandoned Cat And A Kitten - Advice? about two stray/abandoned cats/kittens that are currently living in my neighbors back yard.

The young cat seems to be gaining weight. I am scared to death that she is pregnant. So, here are my barrage of questions:

1.) What are the signs to try to detect that she is in fact pregnant? Today, she was (not normal) in my back yard and thinking she was hungry, I fed her. Later, by maybe less than an hour, she threw up. Never have seen her do this. Could be from over-eating...

2.) She has a baby kitten with her that we are still trying to get the confidence of. If she is pregnant, at what point in time will she stop 'caring for' the baby? (I am going to try to get the neighbor to feed the baby kitten actual baby food, in hopes to speed up the confidence factor with the baby). No need to worry about the young cat, she is pretty good with both of us.

3.) Later in the day, she came back into my yard, and based on where she was at she ate her throw up. Do cats get 'morning' sickness??

4.) I don't even know what else to ask. I just have a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach that she is pregnant...

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not to be flippant, but she's outdoors and female, I think the odds are pretty high that she's pregnant. I'd try to push on the trapping, now that the kitten is knows where to go to get food. I'd also try to trap the kitten at the same time. Putting the traps on either side of the yard. :grouphug:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not to be flippant, but she's outdoors and female, I think the odds are pretty high that she's pregnant. I'd try to push on the trapping, now that the kitten is knows where to go to get food. I'd also try to trap the kitten at the same time. Putting the traps on either side of the yard. :grouphug:
Understood, but the baby kitten is never seen anywhere other than by her supposed mom. If the young cat is wandering around, there is never a sighting of the baby.

I've told my neighbor that I am willing to buy a BIG cat crate, make it 'homey' and see if we can get both of them in it, BINGO. My neighbor is just 'worried' that without supposed mama cat, that the baby will go nuts. But, if the mama cat is in fact pregnant, she will eventually turn on the baby anyway. I just didn't know if that happened before she actually has babies - and what to look for to see if she is pregnant.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're the goods!!!

Moving away from the current kitten will depend on mom, some do it early, in which case they wouldn't be together now, some right before the new kittens are born, and some want that kitten right by their side as the new kittens are born. She'd want her first kitten to help her raise the new ones. Remember female cats form prides rather than run alone if given the chances. think barn cats.

:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, you think there is a possibility that she would NOT turn on the baby kitten if she is in fact pregnant? Oh my, I suck at this...

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she might very well keep the baby with her. I've read a lot of stories about cats keeping their daughters with them, then both giving birth within days of each other. They help each other with the actual birth, cleaning the kittens, making sure they are fed. There have been a few threads about this on this site. The concern being that the kittens need their first milk from their actual mom and after that it doesn't matter.

I'm sure you remember those threads, the shock, stress of the possibility blanked your mind to the good.

Think about it as a survival thing. In prides, lions barn cats, while some of the females hunt, the rest care for and protect the kittens. The kittens will nurse from any mother with milk. Think of all the stories of cats accepting orphans into their new litters. If they weren't keyed to accept and care for the rest of the pride's litters would they so readily do this? People are always amazed because people, apparently, aren't keyed for this.

Given all that it is still best to trap both of them at once. I think your big cage is the way to go.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Uh, not tonight. Young cat showed up, and then a few minutes later, the baby appeared. Neighbor was afraid I would spook the baby by going to over there. :argh:So, tomorrow, another day...:sigh:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is there a reason you cannot get a trap? It is truly the easiest way to catch feral cats for spay/neuter. Most spay/neuter clinics require feral cats to be in a trap as it is easy to sedate the cat while the cat is in the trap.

These cats really need to be spayed/neutered soon or you and your neighbor are going to have many more cats.

Is there a low cost spay/neuter clinic in your area or a rescue group that might assist you?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is there a reason you cannot get a trap? It is truly the easiest way to catch feral cats for spay/neuter. Most spay/neuter clinics require feral cats to be in a trap as it is easy to sedate the cat while the cat is in the trap.

These cats really need to be spayed/neutered soon or you and your neighbor are going to have many more cats.

Is there a low cost spay/neuter clinic in your area or a rescue group that might assist you?
I am not worried about any of the above, we can work it out. In fact the young cat could be taken very easily at this point - even if she is pregnant. The thing that is tying us up is the baby kitten, who is still not acclimated to humans. We are afraid of what would happen to it, if the 'mama' cat is taken away, and the baby cannot be trapped with her. Sure, we can take the mama away, but I am worried about the baby left behind. It is still relying on the mama, so if the mama goes away, what does the baby do?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All the above information is good. I would start feeding Mom and baby in the carrier. At some point you should be able to shut them in together. A trap may need to be used but you will need to get them both. If you get them used to eating in either then you should be able to get both. Both need to be spayed neutered. Mom can also look bloated and throw up from worms which are common but she is also probably pregnant or soon will be. I’m really glad you’re working towards getting them. Good luck! I hope it goes quickly and well for all concerned. I think it’s great that you are doing this! :rock: