What houseplants will cats avoid?

BlueRaccoon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I love house plants, but very few do my cats ignore. They either eat them, or they chew on them, killing the leaves. Do you know of any houseplants that my cats will just leave alone? Thank you!

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have around 25 houseplants right now and the only ones my cats bother are the spider plants. And even those they are mostly leaving alone because I sprayed them with bitter apple spray. It says it’s to stop dogs from chewing but it works for cats too. Otherwise, I can tell you they have never chewed on my geraniums, Christmas cactuses, ficus, ivy’s, peperomias, ZZ plants. The biggest culprits seem to be plants with long pointy leaves like spider plants and dracaenea. The least likely culprits are big plants with big, firm or thicker leaves.

But try the bitter apple spray. I’m amazed I can have so many plants and the cats don’t bother them.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine with eat and play with anything including my Christmas cactus.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Real plants? Nope. Cats will sample whatever they want regardless of what the plant is. Maybe provide your cats with a pot of cat grass or catnip and hope they leave your other plants alone. Keep your plants out of reach as much as possible (hang from the ceiling, place on tall bookshelves, in a room the cats don't have access too, etc). Many plants are toxic if ingested.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try a Ponytail Palm:
(Beaucarnea recurvata. AKA: Bottle Palm. Elephant's Foot.)

We have one. It is very hardy, likes bright sun, doesn't need a lot of water and it's just plain hard to kill.

The leaves are long, thin and leathery. Casper likes to chew on the leaves and he doesn't hurt them one bit. In fact, we say that Casper flosses his teeth on it.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have yet to find a houseplant my cats won't molest. The half-life of a potted plant around here is about two hours. They chop them right down right to the dirt!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hanging baskets are the best way, easiest, if the cats can't reach them. Be sure to include jumping distances when you set your plants out. I still use plants they can eat, things happen. For example the rod holding three of the plant baskets crashed down in the living room. Guess who was the last one to arrive after everyone else was nose deep in plants and dirt?

You will also want to be sure you are vacuuming up the dried/dead leaves that fall behind furniture. Some cats like to use dried leaves to tickle out a hairball or two.