Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

What Helps A Gassy Dog?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Animals' started by Max's Human, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Max's Human

Max's Human Thread Starter MAX Alpha Cat

Nov 25, 2017
    California
    I feel stupid asking but does ANYONE out there know how to #1 HELP the dog AND #2 KEEP ME FROM GAGGING?
    I have Dakota a 14 or 15 year old lab that suddenly has bouts of NOT SO SILENT and NOT FRESH SMELLING ISSUES WITH GAS. I have not changed his diet and the only pill he takes are for his ancient joints since the breed is known for issues when they get old. He literally chases me out of the room since I gag at the drop of a hat.

2. Willowy

Willowy TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    Probiotics and digestive enzymes (like Prozyme) may help. His old digestive system probably needs some help.

For especially gassy days, you can give him simethicone (Gas-X). Just get the liquid version sold for babies---make sure it doesn't have any sweeteners; xylitol is toxic to dogs---and give him an appropriate dose based on his size.

3. Max's Human

Max's Human Thread Starter MAX Alpha Cat

Nov 25, 2017
    California
    Thank you soooooo much!

4. Kat0121

Kat0121 Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 23, 2014
    Sunny Florida
    My dog is almost 16 and occasionally gets gas too and man it can sure clear a room. Hers are silent (most of the time) and she seems to enjoy dropping a bomb on us every now and then. :cringe:

5. lacy2000

lacy2000 Windy City Fosters Alpha Cat

Aug 28, 2016
    Chicago Suburbs
    I’ve used Fortiflora canine probiotics on gassy pregnant foster dogs. Maybe it could help your dog with his issues as well.

6. neely

neely May the purr be with you Staff Member Forum Helper

Dec 22, 2005
    Gas can also happen when a dog eats too fast or even swallows air. Does he gobble down his food?

7. 1 bruce 1

1 bruce 1 TCS Member Top Cat

Apr 8, 2016
    We have an occasional gas bag and probiotics DO help, as do any kind of enzyme.
    Is your dog free fed (food always available) or do you do scheduled feedings?