What Helps A Gassy Dog?

Max's Human

MAX
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feel stupid asking but does ANYONE out there know how to #1 HELP the dog AND #2 KEEP ME FROM GAGGING?
I have Dakota a 14 or 15 year old lab that suddenly has bouts of NOT SO SILENT and NOT FRESH SMELLING ISSUES WITH GAS. I have not changed his diet and the only pill he takes are for his ancient joints since the breed is known for issues when they get old. He literally chases me out of the room since I gag at the drop of a hat.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Probiotics and digestive enzymes (like Prozyme) may help. His old digestive system probably needs some help.

For especially gassy days, you can give him simethicone (Gas-X). Just get the liquid version sold for babies---make sure it doesn't have any sweeteners; xylitol is toxic to dogs---and give him an appropriate dose based on his size.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My dog is almost 16 and occasionally gets gas too and man it can sure clear a room. Hers are silent (most of the time) and she seems to enjoy dropping a bomb on us every now and then. :cringe:

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I’ve used Fortiflora canine probiotics on gassy pregnant foster dogs. Maybe it could help your dog with his issues as well.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Gas can also happen when a dog eats too fast or even swallows air. Does he gobble down his food?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have an occasional gas bag and probiotics DO help, as do any kind of enzyme.
Is your dog free fed (food always available) or do you do scheduled feedings?