What have I gotten into?

Christyl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat that just showed up at my house about a month ago. She was very sweet and liked to be held. She is now aggressive and biting. She has stopped eating and is screaming all of the time. I am pretty sure that she is pregnant, but we can't touch her. She likes to rub up against us but I am not sure what to do, especially since she likes to bite feet. I have never had a pregnant cat before.
We are keeping her fed and watered, but the biting is really worrying me. I have called the vet but they are only seeing emergencies only.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HI!
bless your heart, hang in there!! Don't try to touch her, maybe try and keep shoes on if you allow shoes in the house, and see if you can provide some nesting spots. I'm glad you called the vet - at least this way, if something were to go wrong during the birth you have their number and they're familiar with you to a degree.

These may help;

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth? – Cat Articles

Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth – Cat Articles

Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens! – Cat Articles

Weighing Newborn Kittens (and How This Could Save Their Lives) – Cat Articles

How Old Do Kittens Have To Be To Leave Their Mother? – Cat Articles

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Definitely looks pregnant. Are you seeing kitten movement in her sides?

Most pregnant cats are overly affectionate. The biting is odd - is she trying to tell you something? Does she have plenty of food and a private place to birth her kittens? Perhaps she is already feeling protective of her unborn kittens. It’s a hormonally driven instinct. She will not want her babies handled right away, and will want a quiet, private place to be with them.

Hang in there and keep us posted! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Christyl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your posts.
She has plenty of food (soft kitten food and hard food) and fresh water and she has several places where she can nest. I have boxes placed around the house with blankets. She really just paces and meows. One minute she is rubbing against our legs and the next she is attack kitty. I am clueless what she wants. So far she has bitten fingers and feet. Everyone has been told not to touch her and the kids (17 and 13) are afraid of her. Right now she is standing and meowing.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, poor baby - hang in there with her!!

Would she respond to cat music? Spotify and youtube are sources you could look into.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How long has she been meowing like this? Could she be in labor? How long since she has eaten? Does she want you to sit next to her in a nest perhaps?

Christyl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Occasionally she will eat a little dry food. She is ignoring the kitten food. I tried to lay near her so she hissed and spit at me. She could be in labor, but I am certainly not going to bother her. She has been meowing constantly since yesterday. Been aggressive the last two weeks.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try some cat music, it might not bring about a visible change but it won't hurt either :)

See if the vet says anything, if they can look at a video of your super cranky mama.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Definitely speak to the vet about her behavior.

Do you see kitten movement? If not, then there is something wrong; something else going on.

Christyl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay, she moves around so much it is hard for me to see. I am pretty sure that I am seeing rippling. I called the vet back and they said that they didn't want to do any diagnostics with her not at the clinic. I have an appointment for April 27. Sigh.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How far along is she? If she's not too far along and is just one of those who looks like a blimp but still a month or so away then I would say get her spayed to be honest.. I know it sounds cruel but it is very unlikely the aggression will stop after giving birth. The rescue I am with have had a lot of nursing moms and kittens come into care because the female cat was extremely aggressive and it lasted until the kittens were moved at 8 weeks old :(

Christyl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am not sure how far she is. She just showed up about four weeks ago. She became aggressive about two weeks ago.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Has she lost the fur around her nipples?

Is there another vet you could call who might be able to see her sooner?

Christyl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think that she might still be in labor, but I don't dare touch her.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I guess just wait for things to progress to the end, not like she's giving you a choice :), and hopefully everything goes well.

It doesn't sound like she'll be very amenable to you touching the kittens, to weigh them (although hopefully over time she'll become more accepting of you). As long as they're latching and nursing, and then piling and sleeping rather than crawling around and crying, things should be ok...

Last edited:

Christyl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are six kittens. They are latching or sleeping. Momma came out long enough to eat, bite my foot and then she went back with them. My poor feet, I should have listened earlier and wore shoes. I do not think that she is going to let me touch them at all.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This explains her behavior! She’s been trying to tell you that she was about to have babies.

Where did she have them that you can’t get to?

Her hormones will calm down in a couple of days and hopefully she will stop biting you.