What Happens If No One Adopts Your Foster Cat?

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh.. this is just a random question on my mind today. I adopted my two cats a few months ago and keep going back online and looking at the TNR group I adopted them from and a bunch of the cats I met there still haven't been adopted.

So... what do you guys who foster do? Will they just live with you forever if you can't find them a home? Or do they usually find one? I'm just curious.

I felt sad seeing that most of them (now just over that cute kitten phase) weren't adopted yet :(

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I like to think of it as they are waiting for the purrfect family. Someone will come through those doors and fall in love at the right time. You really can't personally save them all but I bet the shelter would love a volunteer to go in and keep those cats company while they wait.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello fellow tnr group adopter! I sometimes feel the same way - I look on the group's petfinder page and am sad to still see some names there. There's a little black cat Lelia played with in her foster home that's still there. Sometimes I wonder if Lelia would be if she hadn't caught my eye via picture - she's a pretty calico, but hid in the back of the cage at the adoption events she did attend so didn't have that personality at first. I will probably adopt another cat from them eventually (an adult whose story hit me in the feels) if no one gets to her first, but I'm not really in a place to get another cat right now (the bf and I have to move in together and make sure our cats can integrate longterm first) and I don't have a room to foster. I just attend fundraisers and give small monetary donations when I can.

But I feel you and also wonder about the foster parents of the not-adopteds.

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I volunteer at a no-kill shelter. Some kitties spend a long time waiting for their homes, while others are lucky and find homes quickly. Actually, almost all find homes eventually. And the ones that don't? Usually a volunteer or the foster parent steps up and gives the kitty a loving home. The vet we use joked that everyone in our group has a pair of former stray/feral black cats. Ha, ha! I have two pairs.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i like what Kieka Kieka said, to think of it as they are waiting for the purrfect family! and i believe that was what happened with our Dude (aka, Jaspurr).

he was in a foster home for a while, was about 2 years old then. it just worked out that Snick :rbheart: and i fostered (the only time i've ever fostered) our boy for i think it was close to a year, because another cat in his previous foster home chased him to the point where our boy needed to stay in a room away from the other cat. the foster did spend time with him in the room, but he loves people and was unhappy not to be able to be out in the rest of the home with everyone.

Snick and i fostering our Dude was the best thing i could have done for both Snick and myself. he gave Snick someone to be interested in, something to distract her from her medical issues. Snick and Dude got along very well, after they were carefully integrated. he loved her very much, and he understood on some level that Snick didn't always feel very well. having Dude in her life gave Snick more happiness in her life, and i believe was part of what helped her to live longer. when my little Snick crossed the Rainbow Bridge, Dude and i grieved our loss together.

so, Dude waited for his purrfect family, and is now a very much loved member of our family.

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Foster cats typically stay with their foster families for as long as it takes to find them a forever home. If for whatever reason they can't stay with that family, they will return to the rescue organization's facility and/or be placed with a different family.

I know it's hard to see cats not adopted yet, but remember that from the cat's perspective, they are safe, warm, and cared for. They have no way of knowing that they don't have a forever family yet. Cats live in the moment rather than worrying about the future, so try to focus on the fact that they are in a good place and someday they will find a home. :)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
from the cat's perspective, they are safe, warm, and cared for. They have no way of knowing that they don't have a forever family yet. Cats live in the moment rather than worrying about the future, so try to focus on the fact that they are in a good place and someday they will find a home.
:yeah::redheartpump::touched:

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey, so I was checking facebook today and there were pictures from an adoption event today and I saw the update that Lelia's little foster friend had been adopted there today! Literally a day after I posted about her still being in the foster home at 9ish months old.

Just wanted to share since it made me happy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't do this to yourself. As much as we would like too,you can't save them all.
yeahh... you'
Maybe try and think of a way to have your local media outlets do a quick story on them and/or also a few mentions of spay/neuter responsibilities, particularly since shelters are heading into kitten season. Hang in there :)!

Good idea!

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Foster cats typically stay with their foster families for as long as it takes to find them a forever home. If for whatever reason they can't stay with that family, they will return to the rescue organization's facility and/or be placed with a different family.

I know it's hard to see cats not adopted yet, but remember that from the cat's perspective, they are safe, warm, and cared for. They have no way of knowing that they don't have a forever family yet. Cats live in the moment rather than worrying about the future, so try to focus on the fact that they are in a good place and someday they will find a home. :)
Good point :) they don't know they're being fostered

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your responses! I didn't know I'd get so many stories and reactions :)

I'm still new to the forum, and forums in general, so I think I'm completely responding to you in all the wrong ways. I'm hitting all the wrong buttons, i know it!

I want to say you all had very nice points to make, like they don't know they're not in a furever home, and foster parents do the cat dance :D hahaha Also, very nice suggestions about how I can help.

Fostering is something I'm thinking I might be able to do in the future... , after I'm settle etc. but that doesn't mean I can't volunteer now :) Thanks for your replies :)

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey, so I was checking facebook today and there were pictures from an adoption event today and I saw the update that Lelia's little foster friend had been adopted there today! Literally a day after I posted about her still being in the foster home at 9ish months old.

Just wanted to share since it made me happy.
yay!!! that's so exciting :D

keeneland

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So... what do you guys who foster do? Will they just live with you forever if you can't find them a home? Or do they usually find one? I'm just curious.
This is what happened at our house LOL and it happens with a lot of foster's! We got to keep a couple of spoiled babies!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I fail at fostering and TNR. My senior, Tangent (and his late brother Cosine), were supposed to be fostered for 2 weeks through my local Humane Society to make sure they were over URI's. That was over 13 years ago; I adopted them both.

Last year I trapped 2 feral cats who were supposed to be released back outside to their colonies after spay. They are both in my house now. :p

I'm now at my personal "cat limit" of three. The rest? Well, at some point last year, the county shelter managed to get the local radio news to broadcast every half-hour that if people didn't adopt 100 cats between Friday and Sunday, they would have to euthanize some cats for the first time in seven years. They "sold out" of cats by noon on Saturday, even with asking all fosters to bring their cats back for adoption. Over 200 people showed up to adopt cats. Local media is a powerful tool if you can get them interested in covering the story.

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I fail at fostering and TNR. My senior, Tangent (and his late brother Cosine), were supposed to be fostered for 2 weeks through my local Humane Society to make sure they were over URI's. That was over 13 years ago; I adopted them both.

Last year I trapped 2 feral cats who were supposed to be released back outside to their colonies after spay. They are both in my house now. :p

I'm now at my personal "cat limit" of three. The rest? Well, at some point last year, the county shelter managed to get the local radio news to broadcast every half-hour that if people didn't adopt 100 cats between Friday and Sunday, they would have to euthanize some cats for the first time in seven years. They "sold out" of cats by noon on Saturday, even with asking all fosters to bring their cats back for adoption. Over 200 people showed up to adopt cats. Local media is a powerful tool if you can get them interested in covering the story.
What an awesome story!

Johnriii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
wow, I'm at work and I shouldn't be messing around in the forums, but I love talking about cats, especially my fur babies. I adopted mine thru a no kill shelter from a local Petsmart, and there were five from the same litter, all girls, believe it or not. after I got Chloe and Zoe (I renamed them after two days)...I went back to the Petsmart to get more toys and supplies. sad to say, after two weeks, their sisters were still there, and I felt so bad for them. I went home and told my wife, and she sternly told me "no, you can't adopt any more"...she's right of course, two balls of energy is more than enough for us to handle, we're still "catifying" the duplex as we speak. like someone said, we can't save them all, and Cats do live in the moment, and just about all of the shelters here are no kill shelters.