Resolved What Happened To The Tool Bar

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I first logged in, everything was there. I read a post, then all of a sudden the only thing was Menu and New Posts. Everything else is gone.

D

Deleted member 115554

Responsive (mobile) view kicking in for less than 1200px width. Desktops generally have 1920px width.
The change is geared more towards tablet/mobile users.

You can click/tap on Menu to get the toolbar.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I take it you're using a smartphone or tablet? Only Menu and New Posts are shown on the "mobile website". What happened was the software recognized what device you were using and adjusted itself accordingly. The full toolbar is shown in the desktop version.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take it you're using a smartphone or tablet? Only Menu and New Posts are shown on the "mobile website". What happened was the software recognized what device you were using and adjusted itself accordingly. The full toolbar is shown in the desktop version.
No, actually. My personal belief is that phones are for talking and not to be playing games on or accessing the internet. That is what computers are for. I know I can access the tool bar via the menu, but man, the other way was much easier.

D

Deleted member 115554

No, actually. My personal belief is that phones are for talking and not to be playing games on or accessing the internet. That is what computers are for. I know I can access the tool bar via the menu, but man, the other way was much easier.
Are you using a smaller laptop by any chance?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could it be that it is because I have a Wireless USB adapter on my computer so I don't have to run a cord through my house. Does the site figure - oh, it's wireless and therefore not a computer?

Edit: No. It's an Acer tower.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Same thing just happened to me, suddenly I show Menu and New Posts only whereas when I logged in it showed the entire spectrum. This is NOT a phone or tablet, this is the same dang laptop it was yesterday. Nothing in my set up changed, so the software has suddenly changed its mind. I DO use a wireless connection, however, so MAYBE it's assuming that this is something other than a PC/Laptop, but it had it correct yesterday, so SOMETHING has changed in how it recognizes me. Thanks for your fix, jcat jcat ! But tell the software that this is the same laptop and same set up I was using when I logged in earlier and it gave me the entire menu, with pull-down features, and I want it back!

Last edited:

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
P.S. - It is not a small format, I have a Toshiba laptop with a 14" wide screen. And I'm using a Firefox browser.

Last edited:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's what I'm seeing. And I don't like it one bit. I want the tool bar back.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Windows 8.1
My son has windows 10 on his super computer and I really don't like it.

D

Deleted member 115554

The ones who are having problems, what are you monitor resolution?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Kind of puzzled me too. I surf 100% from both iPad and iPhone.

First, my iPad shows page with tool bar since the Migration and iPhone shows only Menu and New Posts.

Yesterday, iPad shows same layout as iPhone without the tool bar. So I thought it was a change for all mobile devices. I did a logged out and cleared history and logged in this morning to see if it changes back to the page with the tool bar but it did not. So I thought now it's set to mobile mode as mentioned in Post #2.

As I don't log out of Catsite, I came back in 4 hours later and the page shows the one with the tool bar. I'm ok with or without tool bar but just want to say that I get the change at random. Maybe there's a bug still snooping around? :headscratch: :dunno:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I decided since the kittens were finally asleep, I should be too. I did my usual routine before shutdown and cleared all browsing history, cleared cache and cookies- then shut down. When I came back on - everything was there.
So if you fixed it while I was sleeping....Thank you.

D

Deleted member 115554

It actually works based on the width of your screen resolution.

Ideally, I'd want to start hitting mobile view from 1200px and hitting full mobile view (like removing awards display) from 800px.

However, I have now set it to 1000px.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I get the full page with tool bar and awards displayed when viewing at landscape mode on me iPad.
And when I turn it over to portrait mode, it goes to just Menu, New Post and no awards displayed. Cool! :clap:
But don't know why it was on Menu and New Posts on me iPad earlier today. It's back to normal now.

There's no change on me iPhone whether viewing in portrait or landscape mode which is just showing Menu, New Posts and no awards displayed only.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The ones who are having problems, what are you monitor resolution?
I have no idea how to find out what my monitor resolutions are. However, it seems you have fixed the problem because I now have the full bar across the top that shows Home, Forums, Articles, Reviews, Gallery, Members, Search and then some space, then my avatar, TCS name, an envelope icon with 334 written over it, and a light bulb icon with 13 written over it.

SJSupport

I am that tech you're looking for
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like your resolution is probably 1024x768 if this change to 1000px changed it for you. That resolution is generally only seen on mobile devices and tablets now; most laptops have a higher rez display. Glad it fixed it for you!