What Gauge Needle Do You Suggest For Sub Q Fluids For A Cat

catsmeow9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I moved across town and had to find a new vet. This vets office had great reviews and had Saturday hrs so i thought i would give them a try. We did blood work on my 15 yr old cat and he came back with kidney disease. We gave him fluids and i brought him back the next week to get his fluids done again. The vet tech snapped at me and said he is suppose to come twice a week, i am glad he is not dead. Wow! I asked for a prescription for the fluids and said i would give them myself and a nurse friend would show me how. She was confused and never heard of getting a prescription for it. So she had to go talk to the vet. I was able to get 1 bag from them and i asked for some needles and that was like pulling teeth. I got a few. They gave me 18G 1" needles. My friend told me she thought those were to big and suggested 20g. I have switched vet offices and the vet was awesome showing me how to do it. I was able to bring the supplies i had and she gave me a new line for free too. She also wrote me a script for the fluids and they have the 20g needles. I noticed it take longer for the fluids with the 20g. What are your thoughts on gauge sizes as i don't want to hurt him. He yelps with either gauge any way.

zygote

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When we starting giving fluids, we used the 18G Monojet needles from the vet. They worked fine, but I heard good things about Terumo 19G thin wall and 21G ultra thin wall needles from the CKD facebook group and gave them a try. They really are better. The actual metal part is thinner, which hurts the cat less and also makes the opening larger so the same gauge needle will have a faster flow. We usually use the 19G ones, but the 21G are good too. With the 21G, it barely feels like I'm poking her and 100 mL of fluids still only take a few minutes. You can get them pretty cheaply from Thriving Pets if you're in the US. Not sure about how to get them elsewhere, but hopefully you could find a source.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I get my needles and lines from Thriving Pets. I use the Teruma 21 gauge needles. They take a bit, but seem to be the best ones. The Terumo 20 gauge used to be the 'go to' ones, but they got discontinued from Terumo. You do not need a prescription for
Thriving Pets.

The lactated ringers bags, I purchase from a small independent pharmacy. I do have to buy a case of 12 at a time. It depends, sometimes you need a prescription for them.

I heard that Costco or Walmart have the best prices. In my area, they seem to not know anything about this... so I just get them from my small local pharmacy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catsmeow9

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I get my needles and lines from Thriving Pets. I use the Teruma 21 gauge needles. They take a bit, but seem to be the best ones. The Terumo 20 gauge used to be the 'go to' ones, but they got discontinued from Terumo. You do not need a prescription for
Thriving Pets.

The lactated ringers bags, I purchase from a small independent pharmacy. I do have to buy a case of 12 at a time. It depends, sometimes you need a prescription for them.

I heard that Costco or Walmart have the best prices. In my area, they seem to not know anything about this... so I just get them from my small local pharmacy.
Walmart stopped selling the lactated ringer bags at least in the hendersonville TN area. I am getting mine at Rite aid at $8.00 a bag. I did have to order 12, but Rite aid lets be purchase 4 at a time from them and hold the others for me. Is that a good price or is it high? I will check out Thriving Pets for the lines and needles. Thank you.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
It is about the same price that I pay.

I have heard, that Costco does have it a lot cheaper.
There is also supposed to be a 'card' which you can get off the internet for pet meds..

I am not certain how that works. I really like my independent small compounding pharmacy, so I just get it there.

I think this is a regional 'thing'.. I had called my local Rite-Aid and my local Walgreens.
They had never heard of ordering the solutions in a case..

The Vets were charging $12-15 a bag, so I know it is cheaper than the Vets..