what food!

cat mom 2020

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
is luvsome cat food or meow mix better? i’m aware neither is the best, no judgement please.

Ravensong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know about luvsome, but I do know that Meow Mix is pretty awful nutritionally. Carbs are high, protein levels fairly low, and the first ingredients on the ones I've seen are grains. That's dry. I couldn't find any reliable nutrition info on luvsome, but just did a quick google search.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Are you looking at canned or dry food - or both?
Unless there are members on this site that buy LuvSome cat food, it will be hard to compare it to Meow Mix. LuvSome is a brand owned and sold by the Kroger (and its affiliates), and I have yet to find any specific information on its ingredients anywhere on line. The Meow Mix foods can be searched on line for their ingredients, but in order to compare them one would have to have the LuvSome ingredients listing as well.

If you have a list of the ingredients you might consider posting them on here and then any member can look at them and compare them to Meow Mix to help you make an assessment.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
C cat mom 2020
Take a photo of the ingredients on the Luvsome box when in Kroger and post please. I would think Kroger would make fairly decent food.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
C cat mom 2020
Thanks to the link K Kokomo posted, I would say definitely get the Luvsome.
Chicken is the first ingredient on the Luvsome and corn the first ingredient listed on the Meow Mix 🤨

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
C cat mom 2020 - I guess you are looking at dry food, right?

I think it is still pretty crummy to not provide a complete list of the actual ingredients. It would seem Kroger/LuvSome would prefer to let people make assumptions just because they denote 'real chicken' as the first ingredient. We do know that it must contain some sort of grain, as the package also contains the following statement - High-Quality Protein and Grains to Help Build Strong Lean Muscles. So, they really aren't being very 'up-front' about what is actually in the food.

The original Meow Mix dry has the following ingredients listed (first several ones anyway):
Ground Yellow Corn, Corn Gluten Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Soybean Meal, Beef Tallow (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Animal Digest, Calcium Carbonate, Turkey By-Product Meal, Salmon Meal, Ocean Fish Meal,...

Last edited:

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No judging. I was at the vets yesterdaywhere she suggested I switch my Rx dry for Rx wet. I looked at her and just said... I can't. I can't afford that.
However, people ask me why my cats without health issues (I have an unofficial rescue-12 perm residents) way food that costs $28 for a 12lb bag.
The reason is simple. The more expensive food is cheaper in the long run, than the medical bills that can follow on food that's not good enough. Mine isn't the most expensive, but it's the best I can afford. 6 are on vet food.
I wish you the best

Youcantseemegrrr

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Luvsome isn't high up there, in the other post I listed what I fees mine. I left this one out maybe 1 other, but I feed my tiger this every once in a while. When I got her they were feeding her this then I transitioned off.

At my moms her neighbor left behind her cats so know we feed then. This is one of them and I againstmy judgment threw it back in the mix sometimes. There is way better out there.