What else can I use in Tidy Cats Breeze system?

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I started in March introducing my cat Lydia to the Breeze. I have done all of the suggestions for switching her. She pees in it no problem, but she's extremely reluctant to poop in it and 90% of the time poops right next to it. If she would pee in the Breeze and poop in her old clumping clay litter, I would accept that, but if her old box is available she will only pee and poop in there and ignore the Breeze.

So, I want to find a different litter to use in the Breeze to try and help her out. Litter attracts don't work. I need something that will hopefully be softer on her paws, but still rely on the pad underneath to absorb most of the urine. Any ideas?

I can't go back to the pee scooping lifestyle :lol: Even cleaning poop off the floor once a day is easier!

Bobsk8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had the same exact problem with PIne Pellets. Switched to a good clumping litter, in my case Arm and Hammer Clump and Seal, and litter box problems instantly went away. . Your cat is telling you it doesn't like the Breeze litter.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure how big the slots are. . .maybe pea gravel? I've heard of people using in-shell sunflower or safflower seeds (the benefit being that you can dump them in the backyard when they're smelly and feed the birds too!). Anything of the right size and non-absorbent would be fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Your cat is telling you it doesn't like the Breeze litter.
I know she is. That's why I'm looking for an alternative that will make both of us happy.

I'm not sure how big the slots are. . .maybe pea gravel? I've heard of people using in-shell sunflower or safflower seeds (the benefit being that you can dump them in the backyard when they're smelly and feed the birds too!). Anything of the right size and non-absorbent would be fine.
Pea gravel is an interesting idea! I did see someone had used safflower seeds in a similar system...Smart Cat? But also seen someone use plastic mesh to make the holes smaller in the Breeze to allow it to use the seeds. I might try that; only drawback is I have a parrot and he LOVES sunflower and safflower seeds so hopefully he doesn't get any ideas haha

You have to change the sand and Lydia will do his needs quite.
Yes, that's the entire reason for my post. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So I finally gave in and switched her out of the Breeze completely. I tried safflower seeds but she still refused to poop in the box and I was over it. Switched her to Dr. Elsey's Senior Crystal litter, which requires a similar level of care, and she took to it immediately.

Hannah531

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We use the breeze system and for a time had the same issue (though my cats reluctance happened after an illness, not while initially transitioning) and I used pinto beans (dried). No smell, soft and round on feet and they don't absorb urine unless it sits in it (not possible with the breeze box).

Dried beans was like the only cat related thing I remembered from training dogs at the shelter in my youth.