What else besides FortiFlora?

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually use Vitakraft lickable treats to mix with Feeby's PM meds - she likes it better than many of the other lickable treats! But, none of them seem to work as 'toppers' or enhancers when mixed with food. Dry food, or treats, crushed up into food also bomb - other than Party Mix treats, and even then, those only work for an extra bite or two. :disappointed: She loves baby food meat, but not so much when it is mixed with her regular food. She has never been keen on 'mixing' different foods together of any kind. She is weird!

Delectable Bisque stands a chance of getting her to eat maybe half of what it is mixed with!
Do you think it could help if you split one Fortiflora onto different meals in a day? Or would she get bored of Fortiflora that way too?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do you think it could help if you split one Fortiflora onto different meals in a day? Or would she get bored of Fortiflora that way too?
I am sprinkling just a bit on food after she starts to slow down eating it, and I have not yet used more than 1/2 packet at any one time. I won't put it on food without seeing she is beginning to tire of that meal - same as with any topper I am currently using. I do believe it will be like all other toppers, in that if she gets it too routinely she will start to lose interest in it as well.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How about ruling out a possibility of her being nauseous? It’s no risk but maybe it will help? Nauseous cats often eat treats but are fussy about the meals.
Good article! Thanks! She does occasionally display the first and third 'signs', so I guess that makes it a possibility.

But, I will say that the sitting by her food dish is a 'later in the day' thing and quite awhile after she has eaten a fair amount of her breakfast. So, now I am trying to decide why then and not earlier before breakfast??

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was also wondering about Tomlyns Nutri-stat or Nutri-cal gel supplement?
Coming back to this thread and subject (hopefully I'm not stepping into the realm of resurrecting a thread that is considered old), but I'm rethinking/mentally debating my suggestion, for your purposes with Feeby, of the Tomlyn products --first due to the ingredients and second, the product's intended use which I got to thinking is more for a sick kitty in an emergency where it has stopped eating and needs nutritional support.

However, maybe I'm overthinking this since on their website they state key benefits of the Nutri-gel are;
  • Promotes weight gain or maintenance (my emphasis) and
  • Provides nutrition for picky eaters (my emphasis)
I currently have a question in to the company whether they feel this product can be used over the long term, but even so I'm not so sure that it should be.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Coming back to this thread and subject (hopefully I'm not stepping into the realm of resurrecting a thread that is considered old), but I'm rethinking/mentally debating my suggestion, for your purposes with Feeby, of the Tomlyn products --first due to the ingredients and second, the product's intended use which I got to thinking is more for a sick kitty in an emergency where it has stopped eating and needs nutritional support.
However, maybe I'm overthinking this since on their website they state key benefits of the Nutri-gel are;
  • Promotes weight gain or maintenance (my emphasis) and
  • Provides nutrition for picky eaters (my emphasis)
I currently have a question in to the company whether they feel this product can be used over the long term, but even so I'm not so sure that it should be.
Thanks for the follow-up. I did buy the Tomyln nutritional paste but tried it once with Feeby and she really had no interest in it. So, now it sits in a cupboard along with many other things I have bought for Feeby that she wouldn't take!

Since that time, Feeby has been on Mirataz and was eating enough to maintain her weight without any sort of nutritional gel/paste. We have run into some other issues recently that are going on with her, but that is a whole other story.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats do not like tomlyn either but love advita. Have you heard of Elura? Something new to help with weight only by perscription not all vets know about it yet

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
There are so many things I wish I new about or existed when I had my cat Josie. I will keep this in mind. Looks great!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Update, I never did hear back from Tomlyn so I'll have to call them apparently to get an answer regarding if they think their nutrical can be used long term/daily.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Feeby's eating has been waning, regardless of what I feed her. Been through all kinds of pates (that is all she will eat). Tried adding all kinds of broths/bisques and they only go so far. Also, have tried Party Mix treats (with bacon, because she loves bacon), but that only elicits an extra bite or two. She is eating baby food meats as a supplement to her own canned food for the extra calories, but I don't want that to become her main food. She seems hungry, and will sit by her food dish for me to offer her something else that she might want to eat. Adding all of these things are never enough. So, I've gone down the path of trying FortiFlora and, of course, she likes it. But, it would take a whole lot more than one packet to get her through a day. I am not willing to do that.

She has no digestive tract issues, so I am not looking for a probiotic to treat a problem she does not have. She is ~17yo, hyperthyroidic, and is in the early stages of CKD. Her H-T is controlled, via meds, at what 3 vets have said are reasonable levels. She is not dehydrated (yet), so I don't think that is part of the equation at this point, although two of the vets suggested sub-Q fluids, even though she does not fit the criteria based on felinecrf.com. The specialty vet that just saw her says she in remarkable shape overall for a cat of her age, and they don't feel she is at the stage of needing sub-Q fluids. I have also consulted with the forums related to H-T and CKD, and that has not reaped much in terms of ideas related to her particular situation.

I have read about flavor boosters like Raw Paws (beef liver flavor, not cheese - she hates cheese). Is anyone using this, or something similar?

Thanks.
My vet suggested visbiome probiotic. I just called and waiting get to hear back from him about getting some. She is hiding behind the couch! Her problem is different. Loose stools,now won't go. She just came out of hiding

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Tomlyn's rep told me that their product (Nutrical in this case) has been proven safe to use regularly, there's no time limit on usage, and their only concern is if an animal begins to gain too much weight.