What Dry Food Do You Feed Your Cats?

Kittykat1998

Cat mom of 2 male tuxedo kitties.
Young Cat
Purraise
just wondering what other people are feeding so I can have a variety to look into!
I’ve fed many different “premium” foods and “affordable” foods. So I just wanna see what you guys are feeding!

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed dry as a treat, but we feed Dr. Elsey's CleanProtein Chicken. Yes, it is expensive, but if you look at the calories/cup, it is almost twice that of other foods, so they naturally eat less, so the bag lasts longer. Therefore, it winds up costing about the same as other brands because it lasts so long.

It has less than 5% carbs, is over 50% animal protein, and has no starchy fillers. I think it's currently the best dry on the market.

If you email the company, they will send you 100% free samples of their dry and canned food, if you want. :)

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Another vote for Dr. Elsey’s. My cats are on a primarily wet food diet but they do get 1 tablespoon each as a snack to get them through the night.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They seem to like Purina One the best at the moment, but I'm going to try a few other brands.

soleiil

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
On days that I work 12hr shifts, my cats get Dr. Elsey's as a snack so they don't get too hungry before I get home.

Uncled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The only dry food my two get is Orijen in a treat ball that they bat around, it is more of a snack than anything they only eat canned food for meals.

linkworshiper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my cats is allergic to chicken, so I have to choose foods that doesn't have any chicken byproduct. Since I got the allergic cat, I've been feeding Wellness (salmon flavor). It's a bit pricier, but it has done wonders for the allergic cat's fur. Just today I found a brand of Whole Hearted dry food that doesn't have any chicken in it, so I bought a small bag to see how it goes over. It's about $10 cheaper per bag, so that could be good. I have a wide variety of treats that include Whole Hearted wet broth treats and the crunchy ones. I also have the Wellness crunchy treats and a variety of those freeze-dried beef ones. I don't think I'll buy the latter again, though. My cats don't like it enough to justify the cost.

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Dry is only half of her diet. I use American Journey now but once I'm out I'll likely switch to Essence.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I feed raw, too, but another vote for Dr. Elsey’s Clean Protein Chicken dry. Iris is thin and won’t eat a lot at one meal so she gets about a tablespoon of Dr. Elsey’s mid morning and some rehydrated Stella & Chewy’s freeze dried raw mid afternoon in addition to her morning and evening meals. The other two don’t get any dry food.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another vote for Dr. Elsey's. Lilith is naturally very small and an unnaturally picky eater. I have to leave dry food out for her because she cannot afford to lose any weight and if she refuses a wet food she will eat the dry. Fortunately, she's great about drinking water. Sophie's a picky eater too but not as bad as her sister. DE has the best quality dry IMO.

5starcathotel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For me, is Halo Chicken and Chicken Liver, Indoor cat, recipe. But even as much as I respect Halo as a brand, their dry food is only as a supplement.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats hate Indoor dry food now. I wish I had known that before I bought so much. :( I guess because it's lower in calories or fat, they don't like the taste?
Who knows with cats.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats hate Indoor dry food now. I wish I had known that before I bought so much. :( I guess because it's lower in calories or fat, they don't like the taste?
Who knows with cats.
That's how they are. If I buy a couple of cans of something for the girls to try they will eat it. As soon as I get a case of it, they no longer want it. I have to put it aside and re-introduce it later. They like to keep us on our toes and remind us who really runs things.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was feeding Dr Elseys Clean Protein which is a great one. But I recently switched to Tiki Cat Born Carnivore.