What drives us cat people crazy...

keylimecats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
1) When people consider cat colours such as tortoiseshell, any kind of tabby, patches, etc as 'breeds'. A breed is a type of cat, and a colour is... a colour. If you look up "tortoiseshell cat" you'll find all sorts of cats of different shapes and sizes, but all of them will have the same coat - brindled red and black (or blue and cream, maybe some will have white occasionally), whereas pure-bred cats have certain characteristics, body shapes, etc.

2) "I only like cats because they get rid of pests." Okay, to be honest, my dad is a lot like this and it annoys me to no end. Cats are not killing machines! Yes, they DO kill some pests, and I don't want to sound like an overly-offended cat owner, but some cats don't even hunt at all??

3) "I hate cats because they kill poor creatures!" The opposite of #2. This just sounds really stupid to my ears! Hunting is in their INSTINCT, and honestly, if you hate a carnivore because it kills other animals weaker than itself, than you basically hate all predators/carnivores because they HAVE to eat meat to survive (at least in the wild. Plus, their stomaches are designed to eat meat.)

4) "Cat hair is disgusting!" I suppose I understand why it would be upsetting to find a large clump of ginger fur on all your beautiful black clothes, but cats are actually very clean animals, and their fur is wonderful and I love to study cat genetics, so maybe that's just me.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KeylimeCats  

3) "I hate cats because they kill poor creatures!" The opposite of #2. This just sounds really stupid to my ears! Hunting is in their INSTINCT, and honestly, if you hate a carnivore because it kills other animals weaker than itself, than you basically hate all predators/carnivores because they HAVE to eat meat to survive (at least in the wild. Plus, their stomaches are designed to eat meat.)
These same people who make statements like this are usually dog lovers.  They don't even realize that dogs kill ALL those "poor creatures" too plus they kill cats!  It's amazing that there are people who do not want to see the inconsistencies in their own logic and reasoning.  

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Many of my pet peeves have already been mentioned but one that really gets to me is:  "Cat's are sneaky."   Sez who?  Every cat is a unique being with his or her own personality traits and many are complete snuggle bunnies.  Others are shy and hide but this is not being sneaky.  You know who is sneaky?  Some human beings.  I don't know if cats even have it in them to be sneaky.  
You must know my mom. If I heard it once, I heard it 1,000 times that cats are "sneaky". Um- no. They are not sneaky. they are graceful and they are curious. Just because they don't go thundering through the house like a herd of rampaging elephants does not make them sneaky. Even as a very young kid, every time she said that, I thought to myself, "WHAT?" "What planet are you from? How the
 are we related?" That is the reason that I could never have a cat. 

Then DH came along and was highly allergic to cats. 
  I think the Cat Goddess was watching all of this and She sent me the ones I was supposed to have when I was supposed to have them. As always, She was right. 

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1. The ABSOLUTE WORST thing I've heard regarding cats, is: "I declawed my cat, to keep it from scratching my brand new leather couch"

My sincere apologies to members that have declawed their cats - I am not trying to badmouth on anyone.

But, no, declawing is equivalent to amputation. It deprives an animal of a crucial part of its digits and it CAN deform the animal and create a multitude of behavioral problems.

It is unnecessary, expensive and can be controlled with trimming the cat's claws.

The saddest thing about this, is that most people who declawed their cats, thought that it:
  • is a standard procedure (well, unethically, it has become one), like neutering or spaying
  • doesn't harm the cat in any way
  • is OK
Thus, many people fell for it, being sold by their vets, and didn't know they were conciously abusing their pets. 

2. "Cats are not loving and caring, like dogs are"

First of all: If that's what you're going for, then you can hire a nurse, a baby-sitter, or just stick with your mommy. 

Any kind of pet should be considered as a life companion. Sure, they fill in the "holes" that most of the time humans in our lives leave us with. But this shouldn't be the criteria based on which anyone would choose to adopt/acquire a pet. Or choose between a cat or a dog.

Second of all: Cats ARE loving and they DO care. In their own way, which is more discrete than the way dogs show it. In my opinion, felines include the whole nature inside of them. It's just more apparent on them, in comparison to other species. They're not looking to "belong in a pack" like dogs do (and their wild ancestors, as well). I believe they perceive us as "equals".. In their eyes we seem like "large sized cats". So, yeah, they will treat us like they treat another cat. They will attempt to bite us, when they want to play or when they think we pose a threat to them. They will come purring against us when they want to cuddle. They will press their paw on us when they see we are sad.. They will knead on us when they want to calm and take a nap.

We as humans, are not in touch with our instincts. So, we have failed to trust our "energy". The best criteria to choose a cat over a dog, or a parrot over a ferret etc, is to just let THEM choose YOU. They are way better "matchmakers" than we will ever be! 

To me, no one is a dog person or a cat person. To me, you either respect all life forms or not (I am not crazy about the term "animal lover"). If you respect life, you'll just pair your life either with a cat, or a dog, or both, or a parrot or whatever..

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

You must know my mom. If I heard it once, I heard it 1,000 times that cats are "sneaky". Um- no. They are not sneaky. they are graceful and they are curious. Just because they don't go thundering through the house like a herd of rampaging elephants does not make them sneaky. Even as a very young kid, every time she said that, I thought to myself, "WHAT?" "What planet are you from? How the
 are we related?" That is the reason that I could never have a cat. 

Then DH came along and was highly allergic to cats. 
  I think the Cat Goddess was watching all of this and She sent me the ones I was supposed to have when I was supposed to have them. As always, She was right. 
Link is the most ungraceful and loud cat ever. He's failed at jumping on laps or chairs by either missing his target and ending up on the floor or only getting three out of four paws on target. He also is really good at the tail thumping when he is annoyed; partnered with his glare and you have no doubt you're in trouble. When he grooms himself it sounds like a while pride of cats has settled down in your room and you hear every single lick (at least there is never any doubt of which cat is on your bed, at night I don't even fell Rocket jump on my bed or clean herself but Link is a sudden heavy weight and loud licking).  And, oddly enough, he does sound like a herd of elephants when he runs back and forth in the house. You can track where Link is in the house very easily by the thumps, running, and chirping when he finds himself suddenly alone and wants to know where everyone went.  

Last edited:

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
I swear all of these I have been asked and responded with these very responses!

Your cat is looking at me like "I am going to kill you"  Yeah, he probably does want to.  Seriously.   Just stay away from the Wurp.  He and I have an arrangement that we share our lives together, and you weren't invited.  Hubby is the only person he has taken in, and Shortstack the only other cat.  He is a homicidal maniac.  I love him and he loves me.

How do you stand all the cat hair?   Ummm...how do you stand your hair?  I have really, really good vacuums and lots of lint rollers, thankyouverymuch

Why don't you let them outside?  Why don't you let your kids outside alone, to spend the night, possibly get run over, and kill to feed themselves?

I wouldn't have a cat in the house.   Good for you.  Really, good for you to be able to be that decisive.  It's my house, if you don't like it, there's the door.

I thought you were a dog person.   No, I'm an animal person.  It all depends on who comes into my life and bonds with me.  Come back next week, I might have a pterodactyl.

And, I want to second the thing about people in pet stores.   No, I don't want to meet your doggie.  I'm happy you are giving him/her an outing, I would do it too, but I would keep my distance respectfully from other shoppers.  I've had dogs.  I love them too.  Actually, I trust the dog more than you, and like your dog already much more than I like you, so when he is growling--but you say he won't bite--I trust what the dog is telling me much more than what you are.

Oh yeah---MY GOD!  What do you feed that cat?-- People that don't like cats.

Last edited:

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Your cat is looking at me like "I am going to kill you"  Yeah, he probably does want to.  Seriously.   Just stay away from the Wurp.  He and I have an arrangement that we share our lives together, and you weren't invited.  Hubby is the only person he has taken in, and Shortstack the only other cat.  He is a homicidal maniac.  I love him and he loves me.

How do you stand all the cat hair?   Ummm...how do you stand your hair?  I have really, really good vacuums and lots of lint rollers, thankyouverymuch

Why don't you let them outside?  Why don't you let your kids outside alone, to spend the night, possibly get run over, and kill to feed themselves?

I wouldn't have a cat in the house.  Good for you.  Really, good for you to be able to be that decisive.  It's my house, if you don't like it, there's the door.

I thought you were a dog person.   No, I'm an animal person.  It all depends on who comes into my life and bonds with me.  Come back next week, I might have a pterodactyl.

And, I want to second the thing about people in pet stores.   No, I don't want to meet your doggie.  I'm happy you are giving him/her an outing, I would do it too, but I would keep my distance respectfully from other shoppers.  I've had dogs.  I love them too.  Actually, I trust the dog more than you, and like your dog already much more than I like you, so when he is growling--but you say he won't bite--I trust what the dog is telling me much more than what you are.

"I wouldn't have a cat in the house" is one of the ones I hate the most too. I agree- good for you. I wouldn't have a bunch of kids in my house. Give me cats over kids any day. That one also reminds me of this print that I just love

grizzlysapien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I wouldn't have a cat in the house.   Good for you.  Really, good for you to be able to be that decisive.  It's my house, if you don't like it, there's the door.

** MIC DROP ** 

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@Kat0121  Love the "House Rules."

I hate when people judge me for how much money I spend on my cats. I have the money, I earned the money, I don't have kids/husband, and my cats are my favorite people. I get just as much excitement out of buying them new toys, cat furniture, and treats as they do. 

Along with this, if I want to make my cats' food, I will. I'm not ridiculous for wanting to feed my cats well and for wanting to know what goes in their food. Most commercial pet food companies suck. It's fine that your cat lives on Meow Mix (totally silently judging you) but I'm not going to feed my cat that just to save a little money and time. 

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I hate when people judge me for how much money I spend on my cats. I have the money, I earned the money, I don't have kids/husband, and my cats are my favorite people. I get just as much excitement out of buying them new toys, cat furniture, and treats as they do. 

Along with this, if I want to make my cats' food, I will. I'm not ridiculous for wanting to feed my cats well and for wanting to know what goes in their food. Most commercial pet food companies suck. It's fine that your cat lives on Meow Mix (totally silently judging you) but I'm not going to feed my cat that just to save a little money and time. 
A few years ago I went to this so-called financial expert - who was a dog lover/cat hater - to help me through some rough times while I was keeping my mom and home and working full-time.  He actually balked when he saw my budget for my kitties.  He said he knew someone (yeah, right) who only paid only $20 a MONTH for food for their pets - not just one pet but a number of pets (I can't remember how many.)  I think there were horses too.

Needless to say, I cancelled any further appointments with such a dimwit.  His comment made me seriously doubt he had any good financial advice.  Since then I've gotten back on my feet.  Below is a link to why I was able to figure it out on my own.  

http://time.com/2798972/studies-show-cat-people-are-smarter-than-dog-people/

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I hate when people judge me for how much money I spend on my cats. I have the money, I earned the money, I don't have kids/husband, and my cats are my favorite people. 
So there with you. Link recently broke his leg and two weeks before he had an abscess. Within a month that means he had two surgeries plus antibiotics and pain meds for both. Link even stayed in the hospital for 4 days prior to surgery for his leg because I would be at work and I didn't want him caged up home alone; he apparently loved watching the techs walk around and made lots of friends with said techs. AND Rocket got stress sick on top of it..... yeah....... close to $3,000 in a 30 day period. It hurts but I didn't hesitate because that's what was needed. It will be a light Christmas and money will be tight until sometime next year but I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I don't have kids, I don't have a partner/spouse, just me and my cats. They are my kids and I will do whatever is best for them. Those people who say they are "just cats" and I shouldn't spend that much need to mind their own business before I start questioning the money they spend on clothing, cars or entertainment systems. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

1) When people consider cat colours such as tortoiseshell, any kind of tabby, patches, etc as 'breeds'. A breed is a type of cat, and a colour is... a colour. If you look up "tortoiseshell cat" you'll find all sorts of cats of different shapes and sizes, but all of them will have the same coat - brindled red and black (or blue and cream, maybe some will have white occasionally), whereas pure-bred cats have certain characteristics, body shapes, etc.

2) "I only like cats because they get rid of pests." Okay, to be honest, my dad is a lot like this and it annoys me to no end. Cats are not killing machines! Yes, they DO kill some pests, and I don't want to sound like an overly-offended cat owner, but some cats don't even hunt at all??

4) "Cat hair is disgusting!" I suppose I understand why it would be upsetting to find a large clump of ginger fur on all your beautiful black clothes, but cats are actually very clean animals, and their fur is wonderful and I love to study cat genetics, so maybe that's just me.
LOVE CAT GENETICS!! Yep, I totally agree with colors aren't breeds. I've heard that before and it drives me CRAZY.   : )

These same people who make statements like this are usually dog lovers.  They don't even realize that dogs kill ALL those "poor creatures" too plus they kill cats!  It's amazing that there are people who do not want to see the inconsistencies in their own logic and reasoning.  
Our dogs hunt voles, shrews, rabbits, and moles by digging for them. If they were allowed they would probably be hunting as much as our cats do. The thing is, they tend to do it because it is a fun thing to do as a pack, not because they are hungry.

1. The ABSOLUTE WORST thing I've heard regarding cats, is: "I declawed my cat, to keep it from scratching my brand new leather couch"

My sincere apologies to members that have declawed their cats - I am not trying to badmouth on anyone.

But, no, declawing is equivalent to amputation. It deprives an animal of a crucial part of its digits and it CAN deform the animal and create a multitude of behavioral problems.

It is unnecessary, expensive and can be controlled with trimming the cat's claws.

The saddest thing about this, is that most people who declawed their cats, thought that it:
  • is a standard procedure (well, unethically, it has become one), like neutering or spaying
  • doesn't harm the cat in any way
  • is OK
Thus, many people fell for it, being sold by their vets, and didn't know they were conciously abusing their pets. 

2. "Cats are not loving and caring, like dogs are"

First of all: If that's what you're going for, then you can hire a nurse, a baby-sitter, or just stick with your mommy. 

Any kind of pet should be considered as a life companion. Sure, they fill in the "holes" that most of the time humans in our lives leave us with. But this shouldn't be the criteria based on which anyone would choose to adopt/acquire a pet. Or choose between a cat or a dog.

Second of all: Cats ARE loving and they DO care. In their own way, which is more discrete than the way dogs show it. In my opinion, felines include the whole nature inside of them. It's just more apparent on them, in comparison to other species. They're not looking to "belong in a pack" like dogs do (and their wild ancestors, as well). I believe they perceive us as "equals".. In their eyes we seem like "large sized cats". So, yeah, they will treat us like they treat another cat. They will attempt to bite us, when they want to play or when they think we pose a threat to them. They will come purring against us when they want to cuddle. They will press their paw on us when they see we are sad.. They will knead on us when they want to calm and take a nap.

We as humans, are not in touch with our instincts. So, we have failed to trust our "energy". The best criteria to choose a cat over a dog, or a parrot over a ferret etc, is to just let THEM choose YOU. They are way better "matchmakers" than we will ever be! 

To me, no one is a dog person or a cat person. To me, you either respect all life forms or not (I am not crazy about the term "animal lover"). If you respect life, you'll just pair your life either with a cat, or a dog, or both, or a parrot or whatever..
Its true, cats are more subtle about their ways of showing love because they are not pack members. Dogs MUST put their emotions out there or the rest of the pack may become confused and get angry with them. Cats, on the other hand, rarely meet up in the wild, and when they do, they show enough of their thoughts to communicate.

I love number one! Sometimes I'm pretty sure my cats are contemplating murder, so I often suggest that strangers don't pet my Nym. But I love my baby-kitty all the same.  

"I wouldn't have a cat in the house" is one of the ones I hate the most too. I agree- good for you. I wouldn't have a bunch of kids in my house. Give me cats over kids any day. That one also reminds me of this print that I just love

Love it! 

That's awesome that you make you're own food!

And yes, buying cats toys and treats has to be one of the greatest things.   : )

A few years ago I went to this so-called financial expert - who was a dog lover/cat hater - to help me through some rough times while I was keeping my mom and home and working full-time.  He actually balked when he saw my budget for my kitties.  He said he knew someone (yeah, right) who only paid only $20 a MONTH for food for their pets - not just one pet but a number of pets (I can't remember how many.)  I think there were horses too.

Needless to say, I cancelled any further appointments with such a dimwit.  His comment made me seriously doubt he had any good financial advice.  Since then I've gotten back on my feet.  Below is a link to why I was able to figure it out on my own.  

http://time.com/2798972/studies-show-cat-people-are-smarter-than-dog-people/
What we do with our money is up to us. Totally agree. If you don't spend enough money on your pets, or at least enough time finding ways to save money, you probably aren't that excited about your pets. So why have them? Right?

Good for you figuring things out.    : )

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The absolute worst to me is "it's only a cat!" I grieve 4 years later. She was NOT 'only a cat' she was my everything........... the next is "I hate cats", when I'm talking about mine. I always reply.."You know, I don't particularity  care for dogs, but I would NEVER 'HATE' ANY ANIMAL, there is something mentally wrong with someone who could hate a whole species."  I even had a co-worker send me a picture on my phone of a cat laying dead on the road, needless to say I told them they were 'sick' and needed help, and for sure never felt the same about them. People who dislike cats are not someone I want in my life, it's too short to waste time on them.  

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I can top that one. When I told an acquaintance my beloved cat Zimmie had died he said "you only feel sad because you don't have children". Non sequitur much?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think I can top that one. When I told an acquaintance my beloved cat Zimmie had died he said "you only feel sad because you don't have children". Non sequitur much?
I hate people like that. Could you imagine what people would say if the opposite had happened and you told them. "you only feel sad because you don't have a cat". They'd lock you up. People need to think before they say things like that. 

When my DH passed away, the first thing my father said to me was, "This could  have happened 10 years ago so you should be grateful for the time you had." 

That was supposed to make me feel better. Oddly, it did not- at all. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

The absolute worst to me is "it's only a cat!" I grieve 4 years later. She was NOT 'only a cat' she was my everything........... the next is "I hate cats", when I'm talking about mine. I always reply.."You know, I don't particularity  care for dogs, but I would NEVER 'HATE' ANY ANIMAL, there is something mentally wrong with someone who could hate a whole species."  I even had a co-worker send me a picture on my phone of a cat laying dead on the road, needless to say I told them they were 'sick' and needed help, and for sure never felt the same about them. People who dislike cats are not someone I want in my life, it's too short to waste time on them.  
Aw. That's sad. I always move cats off the road if I see them. I know how sad it was for me to find my cat, and to find it on the side of the road is SOO much better then in the middle of it.
Wow. That's pretty cold. Some people act that way because they are afraid to open their hearts up to a shorter lived species. I tell them "its the time you have with them, not the times you don't".

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not even telling this guy that my husband is divorcing me. No doubt he would say some asinine thing that would annoy me.