What does your cat's name mean?

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both kitties came with their names. The ladies at their rescues named them. The names are cute, so we kept them...

Summer - The season that is is traditionally the hottest and the most humid. It is between spring and autumn....if that wasn't OBVIOUS!

Chevy - It is of French origin, and its meaning is "horseman; knight". A short form of Chevalier. Actor-comedian Chevy Chase.....Chevy is quite the comedian, so it fits!

tachyon

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Meeshu - my father named him. Not sure what it means, it might be Ukrainian or Russian

Cheeky - my mother named him. He was given this name because when he was a kitten or teenager, he used to hoarde or collect small items such as coins, keys etc!?
Maybe he thought he was a squirrel?
We were thinking about naming him "naughty" (also a name for a previous cat - don't know why we called him naughty?), but I wasn't too keen on reusing a previous pets name.

Bris - short for "Bristle". This name was given by a previous owner, who said that as a kittten, Bris had a bristle brush type tail. So her name became obvious.

rushrulz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mine are named what they actually are, although in Japanese.

Mi-ke Neko: Tortoiseshell Cat
Tora Neko: Tabby Cat

I think "mi-ke" literally means "three color" or "three fur" or something? It's used to describe the ideal coloring in Japanese bobtails, anyway--calico. Tora means "tiger," as I understand it, among other things. So I guess "tiger cat" = "tabby." Of course, my mother can't resist calling him "Tora Tora Tora." But I call him "To-fur" (like Topher Grace) more than anything (not that he knows his name or any of its variations).

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmm, Sassy came to me with her name, but boy, when she was a kitten, she sure WAS sassy! <3

Stratus...Well, the other three kittens of his litter has "s" names (Sebastian aka Spitz, Sapphire, and Sassy [RIP]), and he was grey and white, somewhat like a cloud. =P

Kiara was named after the princess lion in the Lion King 2.

Sophie...well, Mom says that Sophie "told" us her name. Same with Abby.

Newbie, short for "new beginnings".

Belona was named after a Star Trek Voyager character...

Amante, my male cockatiel...."Amante" means "lover" in spanish. =3 Which he is, just not to me. He loves Kylene!

And I had Sierra, another tiel (RIP, my beloved baby...), who was grey with white pearling, and she reminded me of mountains.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sebastian: A man of Sebastia. Sebaste itself is from a Greek word meaning 'august' or 'venerable', an equivalent of the Latin Augustus. He is an august kinda guy.

Daphne: Laurel. In Greek mythology, Daphne was a nymph who, when chased by an amorous Apollo, was changed into a laurel bush. Well, Sebastian used to chase Daphne all the time
She's not a bush yet, though

sparkie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pandora - all gift, every gift - Pandora was actually named for the character of Greek mythology. She's always getting into boxes and knocking stuff over - but at the end of it, there's hope in her eyes that she wont get swatted
She really is our little gift, a stray that someone kindly brought to the shelter.

Thor - thunder - My big boy Thor is just that. Big and fuzzy. His fur is black and charcoal colored so he's like a walking thunderstorm. He's so "big boned" that when he jumped off of something you seriously hear a loud THUD.

oava

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well we named our boys after sinfelds tv comedy...newman and cosmo...and the names fit them well.

phfurballs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I always liked naming my cats something that helped describe them. So I had Jake the Snake, [ slithered out of sight lightning fast and no I never had heard of the wrestler by that name 'till much later] Lippy,[ big smart mouth] Wart, [ reminded me of the character by that name in T H Whites' The Once & Future King], Speaker, who never shut up [ also a character in a book] and Springer, who, as a kitten, could leap from the floor to a door top and snag anything left up there ? Sadly, only Springer is still with me, but the others remain in spirit. Heaven knows what I'll name the next one !

mynameis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Coco-Coco was the nickname of fashion designer Coco Chanel (born as Gabrielle Chanel). In France, Coco is a common name for parrots, in reference to the sounds they make.

I named my cat Coco because she looked like a cup of hot coco, but I guess she's also a fashion cat!

junebugbear07

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
lol so most of my cats names are not human!

Oliver (aka man cake)--- "elf Army" <----lol
PoohBear--- I guess its because she kind of looks like a little bear

JuneBug----her reall name was Mazie Jr. after her mom lol but i changed it to Junebug (like Junior but no ior) it fit her better.
Chunky Monkey--- she is big and i think looks like a monkey! But she is not graceful like monkeys she will jump onto something and most times falls!
Mazie---I named her after another cat that was at my babysitters house as a kid and liked the name.

devanagara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mony is short for Amonaya. It comes from the Dave Matthews Band song "Eh Hee", and is an African word. I don't really know what it means.

Penny means weaver or duck. Oddly, I think both names fit. She weaves around the house with curiosity, and her meows sound like a duck's quack. She doesn't really meow, it's more like "mep! mep!"

Siouxsie (or more commonly, Suzie) means lily. She is dainty like a flower and very sweet.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of these are so funny!
Maia was named after the goddess Maia, the goddess of spring and the month of May was named after her in Roman mythology. May 7th is when I adopted her...................

indys mamma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I used www.behindthename.com

INDY
Usage: Popular Culture
Pronounced: IN-dee (English)
Diminutive of INDIANA. This is the nickname of the hero of the 'Indiana Jones' movies, starring Harrison Ford.

Indy was named after Indiana Jones for being handsome, smart, but getting into weird situations needing skill to get out, also when he was tiny and still feral lashed his tail like a whip, and 2 days into his stay with use was running away from the giant dog tennisball

MISHA

Usage: Russian
Other Scripts: Миша (Russian)
Russian diminutive of MIKHAIL
Coming from Michael and means 'who is like God' or in some middle eastern European countries 'Bear'

When I got Misha he looked like a teddy bear, still does....
also he was named after a Lynx my character has as a battle companion in the game Guild Wars

poppy0109

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poppy: I called my grandpa Poppy. He passed away in 2002 at 90 yrs. old. Apparently it's a girls name though.

Monti: Pet form of Montgomery - Gomeric's hill; hill of the power of man. Actually I named him after Mark Tremonti, the guitar player from Alter Bridge and formerly of Creed.

mikehong

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oscar got his name because he was a bit of a grouch when we first got him... He chilled out a bit, but he's still a little grouchy.

Obie was because we couldn't think of a name that fit his personality and agree on anything else. We thought it was cute so we stuck with it.

Girlie was the other cat we had trouble naming. We kept changing it but nothing seemed right... She was an attention hog so I wanted to name her Meme, as in, "Me me me me me me! Pay attention to me!!!"

"Girlie" was a nickname that we kept calling her so it became her official name.

badgeygirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Let's see...

Boots: A foot covering.
He does have kitty socks....

Frodo: Wise by experience. He'll still have to grow into that. Can't seem to get him to wise up about not getting on the counte

Sam: God heard.....that's too funny because I'm a Druid!

Taffy: Beloved....I like that one for her, she is our beloved little girl

Sugar: There was no meaning, but we all know that sugar is sweet!