What Does Your Cat's Meow Sound Like?

mikameek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mika normally has very soft, almost inaudible small meeks (Why we call her Mika Meeks- hence my screen name) and they sound very fragile and dainty. Then she gets into her screams, which aren't really screams. They louder than her normal mews and meeks but sound a lot like she's been smoking 6 packs of heavy smokes a day for her whole life. :lol:

mebae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My new kitten meows like she has been wronged and as a result is dying. I don't have a video, but I've referred to it as a banshee wail before, although exaggerating. More of a lower pitch screech.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had our allergy kid at the vet a few weeks ago.
When her allergies flare up, it involves skin, coat, respiration and voice as she goes from a tiny "meep" to the meow of a 75 year old that's smoked 3 packs of menthol for 40 years.
She let out this very odd "meehhhhh" and the vet paused, and commented "that sounded digital."
I died laughing. I still am kind of dying laughing while thinking about it xD

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My new kitten meows like she has been wronged and as a result is dying. I don't have a video, but I've referred to it as a banshee wail before, although exaggerating. More of a lower pitch screech.
We have a guy here that from day one (bottle aged) would go "Meh MEHHHHHHHHHHHAAA!!!" then flop on his side.
If he's in the room and we walk across it, we get this "meh MEHHHHHA!!!" noise and he walks 3-4 steps, falls on his side while continuing the weird little noises he makes.
He sounds like a weird dying bird, and acts like a fainting goat. He just...falls over. It's hilarious.

Frank123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has a sweet long, drawn out meow that sounds like meeeewww when she's pleading or begging for something. Such as feed me, let me go out in the back porch, or help, I've got my claw caught on the window screen again.
Then there's the short EOW that she uses to answer me when I ask her if she's hungry or wants to eat.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 15 year old Wendy makes exactly 1 noise, whether she's happy, sad, upset, whatever. This tiny 5 lb old let just lets out a huge

MMMEHH!

Meanwhile Delilah prefers to be as quiet as possible. If she knows you're looking at her, she won't even bother making a sound and just moves her mouth as if she's meowing.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my.
*This is NOT my cat btw, but holy crap. Imagine waking up to that sound at 2:30 in the morning, haha!!!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 15 year old Wendy makes exactly 1 noise, whether she's happy, sad, upset, whatever. This tiny 5 lb old let just lets out a huge

MMMEHH!

Meanwhile Delilah prefers to be as quiet as possible. If she knows you're looking at her, she won't even bother making a sound and just moves her mouth as if she's meowing.
We got a little girl here that will make an indignant "MEEP" motion with her mouth whenever we shoo her off, but no sound comes out except the sound of her lips separating. So we get this annoyed "SMACK" sound, with a cat opeining her mouth in disgust while she does a 180 and walks off, disgusted with our opinion.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have found over the years that those with Siamese in them seem to be very loud, very talkative. They have a peculiar, deep, more rasping cry than the others. Then I have Yammy (named after the Yam he is colored like), who has a cry like I have never heard in ANY of my 50 plus years of living with cats. He sounds like a Yamaha rapping up. Starts out soft, neyt, neyt, neyt, Then builds up to a very loud NEYT, NEYT, NEYT! It's hard to write in words what a yamaha motorcycle sounds like, but he sounds just like one! I always laugh when I hear him, and there will never be any mistaking his cry from the others!

kmsmith

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mine meows completely silently when he knows we can see him doing the action!! Not even a squeak.

Kitty_Galore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
M cat has a crazy chirping like meow but she doesn't like it if I talk about it to other people..

Hopefully, she doesn't see me typing this msnsabahabhahjscnclldv ...

- I dont have a crazy chirping meow but more of a godly profound meow which takes you to heaven upon hearing it. Ignore the human
- Kitty Galore herself

Arirang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Extremely annoying and worse than having a dog. If she wasn't so dang cute and occasionally nice...

Ladysnuggable

Mother of Cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lets see.
Artemis sounds like a small child constantly saying mom.
Diana is a good medium tone for a female and goes MEOW-woo.
Luna has a raspy meow and goes meow wow wow wow.
Jaspur sounds like a tiny little kitten.
Boots rarely meows when he decides to he sounds like an old man grumbling
Princess fluffykins doesn't meow she makes a series of weird noises without closing her mouth like MEhhhhhhh or Aehhhh.
Monroe goes Meh. Meh very very low and raspy.

Out of the rescues.
Church had a baby meow in a high pitch toned.
Bear bear had the same type of meow as diana but super high pitched
Momma Love would go Mer-Mowwww like HELLOOOO.
the others never really meowed c:

catloverlady

My cat is a princess
Adult Cat
Purraise
Princess has a high pitched meow and sometimes she holds it for a bit when she really wants something lol!

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
When i played that video Bosco and Artemis came over to check it out, lol. Artemis is almost always making noises. He makes a purring type noise when he is investigating something, then he has a loud big meow and will walk around the house meowing and gets REALLY loud when he wants food. This pic is of him mid-meow.

Luna only meows right when I'm getting her food and its a softer gentler meow. Sometimes they will both start meowing at the same time and it sounds like they are harmonizing.
20180116_164050.jpg
20171109_163045_004.jpg

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fudge has a very deep and loud meow. We suspect that he and his brother have some Siamese heritage and Fudge is very vocal and his meow sounds similar to some Siamese meows I've heard online.
Toffee, we suspect, was the runt of the litter and could never meow properly until just recently. He has a much lighter and more high-pitched sounding meow. They're nearly a year now but Toffee's meow still sounds like a little kitten's.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Janani.R.S

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mingo has lots of different voices that clearly express his feelings. The one I love the most is when I unexpectedly call him. He comes running with this happy "mew, ew, ew, ew, ew." It's adorable.

Lily rarely speaks, and then it's just a deep "Mao."
Awww! So cute!

Janani.R.S

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When i played that video Bosco and Artemis came over to check it out, lol. Artemis is almost always making noises. He makes a purring type noise when he is investigating something, then he has a loud big meow and will walk around the house meowing and gets REALLY loud when he wants food. This pic is of him mid-meow.

Luna only meows right when I'm getting her food and its a softer gentler meow. Sometimes they will both start meowing at the same time and it sounds like they are harmonizing.
View attachment 239554 View attachment 239555
The picture you sent with the picture of the cute white cat meowing is the large face I wake up to. LOL!

Janani.R.S

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Princess has a high pitched meow and sometimes she holds it for a bit when she really wants something lol!
Bailey is the exact opposite! His meows are very short!