What does your cat sound like?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What does your cat sound like?  I always chuckle when  I hear Spencer meow. Such a wimpy sound from such a big boy!  And Abby is little yet she sounds like a lion!

Spencer

A big boy at about 19 pounds

His meow:         Mew   

Katie

Her meow:    Meeep

Abby

Her meow:       MEEEOOOOOOWWWWWW !!!!!!!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It does seem to be the tiny girl cats that have the biggest voices, doesn't it?

My two loudest are Susy Siren, given the nickname "Siren" for obvious reasons and Heidi, who yells constantly, even between purrs while you're petting her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Abby seems to have separation anxiety.  She will leave the room I'm in to go out and get her pair of rolled up socks which she's had since she was 4 months old. She doesn't play with them, or snuggle with them, but she carts them around from room to room screaming her head off.  I have to keep calling her so she can find me. Once she sees me she drops the socks and all is fine.

If she is sleeping and wakes up, the first thing she does is start meowing loudly!  Even if I'm only 5 feet away at the computer and she's on the couch.   Once she hears my voice or sees me, all is well with the world again.

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I totally clicked this expecting adorable sound bytes!

Kismet's voice matches her size, unless she's howling for attention. I describe it as "cat stuck in a box far away" meow, almost as if she's throwing her voice.

She can get louder, and usually when she's calling for me, she doubles up her meows, so she ends up with a "meeeow-yoooowww", which is adorable. Unfortunately I couldn't catch it on camera. She also has lots of little murrs and meeps, like if you approach her for pets, she'll learn forward with a purry little "hrrmmmm". I had to bump the sound way up on these clips to even hear her meow (but the plane going overhead our building in the last clip is just about as loud as normal). Kismet is a conversationalist.

Then there's Mo. He has a super high pitched baby voice, but he's LOUD and he uses it exclusively to beg and whine. He is so obnoxious in the morning - the first two meows are Mo when he's on the opposite end of the apartment, and then he gets closer and whiny. You may have to turn volume up to hear the whines. We have a lot of background noise being near both the highway and the airport. He's twice as loud between 1 and 4am, I'm sure to compete with all those cars revving by and all those plans overhead.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I love Mo's curly tail. My girl Mia always holds her tail curled over her back like that too.

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend thinks it has something to do with the abscess he had right at the base of his tail when he was younger. He's always been a happy cat and very emotive with his tail, but since that abscess (when he almost lost control of his tail), once it healed his tail only curled to the right! Kismet likes to whip hers around, but it isn't always over her back.

tuxedoontheloos

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Tucker has a tiny, polite mewmew that he doesn't use very often. For whatever reason he prefers to make noise by banging things against other things until I go pay attention to whatever it is he wants. Lately, it's been clothes hangers against the wall.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Ow! Ow!"

When he's hungry, but otherwise ges pretty quiet, even his purrs are.

He sounds like a 6 month old kitten, most of the time.

cassthecatlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sooty meows like a bengal, even though he isn't.

He tends to meow very loudly at the window/door, as well. 

Awwwww, what funny meows!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My big Burt has a tiny, polite meow, mostly he's very quiet and unobtrusive. Then there's Casper, with the beautiful blue Siamese eyes that sounds like a frog being squeezed, loud, obnoxious and quite demanding! They couldn't be more opposites!

maiaelizabeth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maia sounds like a newborn and she's 2 and Foley oh my gosh it can annoy you really fast he sounds like a normal cat but won't shut up! He's a very good alarm :)

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our male Bengal Makena makes all sorts of noises I have never heard a cat make before. He has a regular cat meow that sounds a bit like a crow, he makes a chirp noise sometimes when he is happy and he has bark that sounds like a small dog when he is angry at something. He also has two very distinct growls: one is very high pitched and whiny and is used to show annoyance, the other is very low, loud, guttural and is a warning of imminent aggression  (I can't believe a 17 pound cat makes this growl - sounds like a 100 pound wildcat.) He also does an occasional whistle noise - I have only heard it when he is hunting in tall grass - I think its to let me know where he is. He "chuffs" when is excited and he makes a very soft meow, almost a coo, when he is cuddled up with my wife and being petted.

Our female Bengal Lilia only meows - but it sounds like she is actually saying "meow." A friend recently said she sounds like she read a book on cats and thought that's how she was supposed to sound

pan bula

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Her voice sounds like a little (3-4years old) girl's :) 

It's really nice, and reminds a real human's (so does her stare o_O)

bluebird gal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our oldest boy's communications are that of a Siamese and and Oriental combined.  He is a very vocal, bossy cat.  LOL  He mainly has a loud Mrrroow, mrrroow when he's bored and wants you to get a toy and play.  He has a very sharp MMrrrraack!  Mmrraack! when he is ready to eat.

Our youngest has what we've always referred to as a musical meow.  He rarely even meows unless he's really hungry and your not getting it ready fast enough.  The rest of the time he communicates in beautiful little whirs.  If he wants his belly rubbed, he will communicate it by going belly up, and giving you a soft, but intense little m.e.o.w that sounds like a question.

Last edited:

sunrise sammie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Benji makes all kinds different sounds to the point where he sounds like he's actually talking in full sentences.

Kimchi on the other hand is barely audible 90% of the times unless she really wants my attention. Her meows sounds like chrips or squeaks. Her vet calls her squeaks because of they way she meows

tangerinemango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
With my two 12 week old males it's more of a very cute mew then a meow.

peterbald love

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kiki when hungry: ow, aw, raw, wow.

Kiki when affectionate: purr, mmm.

Kiki when playful: aw, ow, raw, meow, weowwwwawaw, wow.

Kiki's Mommy