What does this look like on my cats head?

Freddieandchip

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat is an 8 month old neutered male, indoor only. His personality is very playful and affectionate. He eats great. About 6 weeks ago I took him to the vet because I noticed that he had little bald patches on his head (in the same spot) and his lip was swelling up. It was determined to o be allergies. The vet said that it most likely happened because of a carpet cleaner I used. My other cats had a reaction as well but not as severe. He went to his follow up appointment about 2 weeks ago and he was completely fine. His bald spots grew back and his lip was back to normal. I haven’t used the carpet cleaner at all since then and I’ve been very careful making sure that I’m not using things that will irritate them. I also got him a fish oil supplement and replaced his plastic water fountain with a stainless steel one, as recommended by my vet. Today I got home from work and noticed this. I’m so confused about what could have happened. He is acting completely normal still and other than this he looks normal too. This was not there at all this morning. I have no idea how this happened. He doesn’t seem to be bothered by it but I’m worried. Has anybody seen something like this before? I’m going to call the vet tomorrow morning when they open but I have terrible anxiety when it comes to my cats health so if anybody has any ideas of what this could be that would be great.
65C71DB9-1C8B-466C-8158-55A0606F4375.jpeg

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like a scratch to me. Have you clipped his back claws recently? I would start with doing that if you haven't

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Freddieandchip

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It looks like a scratch to me. Have you clipped his back claws recently? I would start with doing that if you haven't
I haven’t clipped them, I definitely will though. I was wondering if maybe one of my other cats scratched him but there’s so much hair missing so I wasn’t sure

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I was wondering if maybe one of my other cats scratched him but there’s so much hair missing so I wasn’t sure.
I agree, it most likely wouldn't have that much hair missing if it was just a scratch but it's hard to tell. Has one of your cats ever scratched him before? Can you send the pic to your vet? That way they can take a look and hopefully offer some advice.
I understand having anxiety when it comes to your cat's health and well being. 🤗 I think most of us feel the same way. Please keep us updated on his progress. :alright:

Freddieandchip

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree, it most likely wouldn't have that much hair missing if it was just a scratch but it's hard to tell. Has one of your cats ever scratched him before? Can you send the pic to your vet? That way they can take a look and hopefully offer some advice.
I understand having anxiety when it comes to your cat's health and well being. 🤗 I think most of us feel the same way. Please keep us updated on his progress. :alright:
He’s never been scratched like this before, one of my older cats doesnt really like him but he isn’t aggressive towards him. I think I’m going to ask my vet if I can send a picture tomorrow, they usually want to see the pet in person but it takes so long to get an appointment. Thank you! :)

Freddieandchip

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to post an update, it already looked so much better by this morning! It was pink and irritated yesterday and today the color is normal. I called
01EFD8E2-E226-4470-81E5-45551D5925A2.jpeg
the vet and they said to just monitor him for now and call if there are any changes. He was itching a lot suggested giving him a monthly flea preventative instead of his previous one which was just given as needed. He doesn’t go outside at all so I’m not sure if he even has fleas but I’m going to try it. He’s very happy today

Freddieandchip

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Another update, he saw the vet and they think it’s flea allergies. I haven’t seen any fleas but they said even if there was only one the flea saliva can cause this. He has to take steroids and an antibiotic for now then he just needs to be on atopica to prevent this from happening again. I feel so bad for him, his ear seemed better but then he scratched so much the bald spot got so much bigger and it got all red.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the update.:thanks: I'm glad you were able to see the vet and he's being treated now. Fingers crossed the bald spot will heal and he'll start feeling better. :crossfingers:

Freddieandchip

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I’m happy to know what’s causing the allergy so it can be treated properly :)