What Does The Jeep Have To Do With Cat Food??

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m glad you asked!

The wife and I took the Wrangler down to Sand Hollow for a two day trip.

A7CFAC41-60D1-431D-BFB8-19DC2DABD862.jpeg

16511EC1-A45E-4308-BC69-0299E1CC6CF0.jpeg

It’s the first time we’ve left Belle on her own overnight. We topped off her water fountain and left a couple of paper plates with dry food for her. I was worried about her going hungry, so I left out a little extra. My wife tells me I left out a LOT extra. I don’t a half bag of cat food is excessive for two days and Belle didn’t either. I’m sure you’ll agree.

Nonetheless, I worried Belle wasn’t getting enough to eat and was wasting away to nothing while we played in the sand dunes. My wife was convinced we’d come home to a fat furry football.

Belle was safe and sound when we returned. She didn’t waste away. She didn’t turn into a fat furry football. She DID let us know what she thought of us going off and leaving her alone for TWO WHOLE DAYS, but was otherwise her normal, healthy self.

D15DA271-006F-42E3-B3A5-286C818E4419.jpeg

All was good in the world.

Until I cleaned her litter box.

Blessed Mother of All Kittens, the stench was awful! Her urine never had such a strong smell. She’s always gotten wet or raw and this was her first time eating dry kibble. After only two days on dry kibble, her box STANK! Lesson learned.

PHEW!!

Last edited:

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she didn't get enough water, due to being on dry food only <3

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It wouldn’t surprise me. Dry kibble will block water absolution in a cat’s intestines.

Next time I’ll try leaving out two days worth of wet food, but she’ll probably have it all eaten before we make it out the door!

tiggerwillow

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It wouldn’t surprise me. Dry kibble will block water absolution in a cat’s intestines.

Next time I’ll try leaving out two days worth of wet food, but she’ll probably have it all eaten before we make it out the door!
Next time, is it possible to have someone call in twice a day to check on her and feed her?

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks like you visited Mars. In two days, that’s no mean feat. Was wondering if -wherever you went- got cell reception enough to check a cat cam, which might being peace of of mind.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She DID let us know what she thought of us going off and leaving her alone for TWO WHOLE DAYS,
Of course she did lol!

Next time I’ll try leaving out two days worth of wet food,
A timed feeder with an ice pack would get you partway into a two day trip, along with a timed feeder with kibble. Or, with the great suggestions above hire someone to check in on her, freshen water, clean the litterboxes, and put down fresh food :)

Speaking of, it could be that the stink was more due to time of "existence" in the box as opposed to her actual digestive system. If you don't hire anyone next time or even so, I'd suggest providing her with multiple boxes so she has access to a somewhat cleaner box, even towards the end of the trip (there are even disposable litterboxes)

Last edited:

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Heh! Occasionally, I’m a bad Dad and neglect her litter box for a day or two. It’s NEVER smelled this bad! Her poop didn’t look or smell normal. The dry kibble is definitely the culprit, here.

We always have two litterboxes for Belle, both upstairs. We had a third downstairs in the basement, but she never used it. Never even stepped inside it. (I always smooth out the litter so I can see her paw prints when she uses it.)

Belle is a good cat. The only time she went on the floor is when I took too long cleaning her boxes.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The only time she went on the floor is when I took too long cleaning her boxes.
I need to clarify this- I didn't mean I let her box get so foul she refused to use it. I meant that I took so long washing out and drying her boxes that day, she didn't have a box to go in. Now I clean them one at a time.