What does Pride By Instinct from Nature's Variety look like?

mysterylover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that likes Nutro minced chicken in the gravy and does not like pate.  He does like Weruva with the shredded consistency and the fact that it has a gravy.  My other three cats like Nature's Variety Chicken, Beef, Duck, and the Limited Ingredient Turkey.  This other cat will not eat any of them.  I remembered that Nature's Variety also has the Pride line at Petco (not at Petsmart where I usually buy the Nutro and Nature's Variety since it is usually cheaper there), but photos of the Pride line are limited online.  It looks like it might be sort of processed minced or chunks in gravy like the Nutro minced chicken.  I am trying to decide if it is worth trying on this picky eater or not (and worth a trip to a different store, since we already to to the specialty store for the Weruva).

Thanks for any input you have! 

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's minced. My cats like the NVI but I think they like the PBI better. I hope so. I have 3 cases of it in the pantry.
Mine like the duck, chicken, lamb and rabbit. I opened this can to get this picture but it's not going to waste. Henry is inhaling it as I type. It's a good quality food and worth a try IMO. They have minced and flaked varieties

Last edited:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
The Ritzy's rabbit looks similar to above, but less gravy.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the other posters. Pride Rabbit is what my guy eats, however he like pate!! I have to moosh it up with a fork before I give it to him.

He will rarely eat the NV Instinct food; but eats the Pride exclusively.

I am giving him the rabbit.

I think it would be great for your kitty.

jolie0216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats are pate-haters also - and they LOVE the Rockstar Rabbit flavor of Pride......I've tried the other flavors, but the rabbit is definitely their favorite one.  It's worth a try if your cats hate pate and like the chunky types of food like mine do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mysterylover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much!  The close-up photo helps.  It seems like the minced pieces are a little less uniform/processed than the ones in Nutro Minced Chicken.  I will probably try the chicken first, since he seems to love most of the varieties with chicken in them.  He flat out refused the Nutro sliced turkey.  He will eat Weruva Quick and Quirky and Fowl Bowl, but they both have chicken in them as well as the turkey.  Oh, how I hate to ask my DH to go to Petco when he already goes to two stores to get the variety that is best for four cats, but I feel like it is good to have options.

It is good to know that some other cats who have turned down pate like the Pride line as well. I adopted this cat in October of last year from my mom, and it took me a while to get him to eat any wet food.  I had to do it by putting the wet food in with the dry and no longer free feeding like Mom had done.  I did the system of getting the blob of wet food closer to the dry and then dipping a few kibbles in the gravy.  He was literally spitting out the kibbles on the floor when I was using the pate that my other cats always ate.  I was starting to give up hope when I decided to try a can of Nutro minced chicken and shrimp, which I got as a special for my cats (let them have fish or shrimp maybe twice a month or so).  He actually ate the dipped kibbles and seemed to accidentally eat some of the wet the next time.  My cats were acting hungry before meal time after that, and my mom's cat would not eat any treats I had.  I decided to open a can of the minced chicken and shrimp and split it four ways (figured my mom's cat would reject it and my cats would get an extra bit each).  He eats in a separate room, which was started as a way to make him feel safe eating and not threatened.  When I went to get the bowl that I was sure would be untouched, he had licked it clean.  I finally made the connection of the gravy part.  The next meal was an entire can of Nutro minced chicken and shrimp, his first wet meal and last dry food meal ever!  I find it ironic that the cat who wanted only dry Science Diet now wants wet foods that are with broth/gravy only.  I am guessing it is the extra carb content in them, but for now, I will live with that and be happy he is eating wet food. He was scratching his head raw on the dry, so I think he was allergic to grain or something in it. It has resolved now.

I do worry about if some day he has to eat a certain canned food for health reasons and his favorites are not on the list.  If it does not appeal to him, he literally immediately follows me back out of the room, leaving the full bowl of food behind him as if to say, "Where's the good stuff? Come back here!" LOL!

Thank you for your great replies!