What does powdered KMR smell like/how to tell if it’s gone off?

samranola

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My foster kittens ran out of their regular brand of kitten milk this afternoon, and I bought them a new can of KMR. Upon opening, the smell seemed very different from their previous formula. Not sour, but strange—definitely not like anything resembling milk. It is still in date, and was completely unopened before I bought it. Is there a chance that it’s gone off even if it’s a new can? If not, is this what KMR is supposed to smell like?

My hungry fosters and I would appreciate any insight. Thank you!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
From which brand to which brand did you switch?

If in doubt do not use.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samranola

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I switched from AG Science Milk Replacer Powder to PetAg KMR Powder.

Apparel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have the same in my fridge and I wouldn't say it has a strong smell. Can you describe the smell?

moretoebeansplease

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have the same in my fridge and I wouldn't say it has a strong smell. Can you describe the smell?
I am curious too. I’ve never noticed it smelling like anything much. If I remember in the morning I’ll check but if you could describe the smell for us it would maybe help.

I hate throwing new things out, but I do agree that you shouldn’t feed it to the wee ones if you think it might be spoiled.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
so, what to use NOW? If you dont have a pet shop nearby, so try with goats milk. Many food shops have this.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
PetAg is wonderful. It’s what I use. It has a sweet smell to me, but you must have solved this by now — what did you do?

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To the best of my recollection, it smells about the same as evaporated milk. If it goes bad, it smells just like any other spoiled milk.