What does it mean when a cat swipes at you?

Yania

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So Oreo my 10 week old kitten has been starting to swipe at us when we try to pick her up. I think it has to do with the fact that we used to pick her up when she was on somewhere she wasn’t supposed to be or when she was in the way of something but she used to just squirm to get away, she never swiped at us. Now she meows highly and then swipes. Yesterday she tried it with me when I tried to simply move her out of the way since my mom had to bring laundry upstairs when I had only given her love, affection, and treats all day. Could it be that she was just annoyed or something? Is this normal or is it something that I can help her not do anymore?

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How long have you had Oreo? 10 weeks is still very young. For the short term I would try only associating hands with good things. To get her to move out of your way or off somewhere dangerous use a toy. Carry some in your pocket, have a small container at the top and bottom of the stairs, and distract her away to a space that’s safe. I would use something that crinkles to get her attention and then toss it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yania

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How long have you had Oreo? 10 weeks is still very young. For the short term I would try only associating hands with good things. To get her to move out of your way or off somewhere dangerous use a toy. Carry some in your pocket, have a small container at the top and bottom of the stairs, and distract her away to a space that’s safe. I would use something that crinkles to get her attention and then toss it.
Thank you, I will definitely try this next time and I’ve had her since March 6th of this year.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yania

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I will definitely try this next time and I’ve had her since March 6th of this year.
+ She was already around 4-6 weeks when we first got her and she’s about 9-10 weeks now.
Oreo now:
image.jpg

Oreo the first week we got her:
B1433B09-B031-45D4-A0FC-BD2625F08AB9.jpeg

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She's just annoyed, and since she left her mother at a very young age (they really should stay with mama until at least 10 weeks, and 12 is better), you're going to have to teach her things that mama would have...such as not swiping. When she swipes, hiss at her. She was born knowing what a hiss means. The idea of using toys is excellent when you have time to do that. In cases where you don't, pick her up and hiss if she swipes at you.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She might be experiencing pain or discomfort when you pick her up. How do you pick her up? Some people pick up cats by lifting them under the forelegs, like the cat was a baby. I don't think cats find that method comfortable