What Does Coughing vs Wheezing Sound Like?

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was talking to a tech about my cat. We were trying to determine if what I'm hearing and seeing is coughing or wheezing. They want me to get a video and send it to them. Easier said than done.

While I'm waiting, does anyone know where I can find examples of coughing vs wheezing? I did check on Youtube, but just because the video says the cat is wheezing, it doesn't mean it's true. I was hoping there's an expert here who can find some examples for me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Great website, thanks!

But I'm still confused, I may have received incorrect information in the past, I don't know.

Isn't there a difference in what a coughing cat looks like or does vs one that is having an asthma attack? I'd like to be able to tell the difference. Or is it basically the same thing?

I once had a cat that had chylothorax and he coughed, but that was 18 years ago and I don't really remember it. I'm getting really confused now. Is there a feline asthma group somewhere?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Coughing during an asthma attack and non-asthma related coughing (from allergies, etc) pretty much looks the same in cats.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As you google videos of coughing and/or wheezing cats, if you find one that is like what your cat is doing, that should be sufficient to send to your Vet to show them what is happening. You don't really have to trust the video if it says Asthmatic Cat or not, just what is happening in the video.

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am definitely not an expert but I can tell you that my kitty, at around 8 months, started making very odd donkey-like noises that matched exactly what you see on YouTube for asthma kitties. It didn't sound like coughing to me (never having heard a cat cough before), since there was noise both as air was coming in and out.

I eventually did manage to get a video to show my vet, which I think helped them to take it seriously. Given her age, the vet thought asthma was unlikely but still ran an x-ray, which came back normal. My kitty did/does have herpes, so it probably was just that, and eventually subsided.