What do your cats eat?

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you be a bit more explicit about the "obvious reasons" for avoiding Trader Joe's Tuna for Cats, please? The "obvious reasons" for avoiding tuna canned for humans to eat are lack of Taurine and Vitamin E depletion, but neither of these objections apply to the Trader Joe Tuna for Cats product, which has supplements to correct both of these nutritional problems. I am trying to evaluate whether this food would be an appropriate component of my diabetic cat's diet, and I would appreciate very much knowing if there are other reasons for avoiding it. She likes it with a considerable amount of water mixed into it, and the vitamin supplements (there are others as well) suggest that whoever designed the product was at least trying to make it a healthy food. There is some rice flour in it, but that is the last ingredient listed, so I am guessing that the carbohydrate content is suitably low. I have written to the company asking for a detailed nutritional analysis.

Thank you.

P.S.: This was meant as a response to Ritz's posting on 4/17/12. I thought that the website would put this posting directly under that one and indented, since that was the posting in which I clicked the Reply button, but this forum doesn't seem to work that way.
Tuna contains mercury whether it's packed for humans or cats. In my opinion, if there are restrictions on how much tuna PEOPLE can eat safely, I don't feel comfortable feeding it to a little cat.

Like other fish, it also contains higher levels of magnesium than other meats. Too much magnesium has been linked to UTI's in cats.

If you are looking for healthy foods for your diabetic cat you could google Dr. Lisa Pierson's 2012 food chart. She lists the protein, fat and carbs of lots of popular cat foods. The high protein/low carb foods would be the healthiest for any cat, especially one with diabetes.

amonicat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was feeding my cat crappy meow mix when I didn't know any better then he developed a rash and the vet said grains or fish meal were the culprits so we switched to natural balance which he just vomited up then I tried natures variety instinct which is grain and fish meal free and he loves it no vomiting and less itching. He occasionally gets soulistic canned food which is grain free for either a treat or I use the gravy to give meds. Every blue moon he gets a tiny sliver of cheese for a treat.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
for wets

I rotate between >Chicken soup ,Truimph ,

I feed this when I can get it >Soulistic ,nature variety ,wellness core

I'm still feeding and not going to buy again because i saw food dyes and corn in it >Friskies

what I used to feed >innova ,Kroger ,true value ,twin pet,pro plan

for drys

I rotate between >diamond naturals ,chicken soup

I feed this when I can get it >before grain ,nature variety ,solid gold indigo moon ,canyon creek

I'm still feeding and not going to buy again because of corn >diamond maintence

what I used to feed >kroger ,friskies ,main dish ,rival ,duralife ,iams ,hills,kits n koobodle ,dad,s , <that was before i found out how bad it was

sorry about the long list

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
for wets
I'm still feeding and not going to buy again because i saw food dyes and corn in it >Friskies
Which flavor/style was this? The only pate flavor I know of with food dye is salmon. . .I haven't looked too closely at the non-pates because I don't use them. And I can't think of any with corn, except some of the Indoor kinds have corn oil. There are differences between flavors and types, you have to read every label, which is kind of a pain. But many flavors of the pate type are decent choices.

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Which flavor/style was this? The only pate flavor I know of with food dye is salmon. . .I haven't looked too closely at the non-pates because I don't use them. And I can't think of any with corn, except some of the Indoor kinds have corn oil. There are differences between flavors and types, you have to read every label, which is kind of a pain. But many flavors of the pate type are decent choices.
I can't remember because I was opening 4 different flavors I think it was the turkey and cheese one but i'm not sure thou i'll look at the flavors tomorrow again and post what has it and does not I prefer not buying it again.because some of my cats can have it so i rather buy what all can have.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, best to stick to the regular pate flavors (besides salmon). Shreds and "with cheese" and "filets" etc. are usually lower quality. That goes for most brands, BTW.