What do your cat's do with plastic grocery bags?

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Larry is afraid of them. If I crumple one up, he pricks up his ears at the noise and runs the other way. I think he may have had a bad encounter with a plastic bag during his first year of life, when he was feral.

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Emily loved them. Every time I saw her lick one I told her, "Emily, you're disgusting." LOL! She also liked to lie on them in a bedroom.

But the funniest thing she did with plastic bags was get in them. She tipped a trash can over to get in it and dig out a rubber band. The rubber bands final destination? Her food bowl LOL.

Wilbur ignored them for a long time, but eventually started licking the bag in the trash can.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I don't keep plastic bags out where the cats can get them. Ms. Pepe has a thing for plastic; she chews and licks and I don't think they're safe for her. I keep them in the kitchen closet. We use them for litter scooping, for recyclables, and for my kitchen trash can (which is under the sink, where the cats can't get to it).

Now paper bags? They're all over them. As soon as I get a paper bag (admittedly, they're a little hard to come by these days), I empty it out and throw it on the floor. And within seconds, there's one cat inside the bag with several others trying to get in.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I never leave any bags lying ever since Sophie put her head through the handle of one when curiosity got the better of her.

The noise of the bag scared her and she ran all over the house in sheer terror with the bag still around her neck. When l finally managed to get hold of her she was panting and her little heart was racing

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I never leave any bags lying ever since Sophie put her head through the handle of one when curiosity got the better of her.

The noise of the bag scared her and she ran all over the house in sheer terror with the bag still around her neck. When l finally managed to get hold of her she was panting and her little heart was racing
That happened here, too, with BooBoo. It was one of those paper bags with handles.....like a very large gift bag. BooBoo got curious and somehow he got his head through the handle. He took off with the bag and we had to chase him through the house. It was quite the experience and he was competely terrified. And I'm so glad I was home when it happened. To this day, when we have any kind of bags with handles, we take the handles off. (And plastic bags always go into the closet right away)

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine mostly ignore them although Da Lip will sometimes bury  the food dish with them if he can filch some. The outside cats treat plastic bags with the reverence food carrying things deserve - shred the bottom and let the tins fall out the bottom.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I need help! I keep my plastic bags in one gigantic plastic bag, Yoda just loves them and Bucky will play with them occasionally. Well I had the pantry door open Sunday morning and they got into them, Bucky got one of the handles around his neck and managed to get his left paw in there too, Yoda thought he was playing and chased him around. I know that Bucky was in a panic but Yoda thought he was playing. Bucky now growls at Yoda and the growling and hissing go back and forth, I hate seeing these two brothers"16" months go at it like this. I have tried separating them by putting food, litter and water in another room to give them a time out. This does not seem to be helping, does anyone know how long it will take to get these to brothers to get along again?

It is breaking my heart to see this, not to mention I can not sleep listening to the meowing going on back and forth through the door.
Sorry no one has answered you. Many times members post their own reply to the original post without reading the other replies. How are they doing now? I wish I had the answer for you.Please re-post your question in the behavior forum. You should get some good answers there.

I don't allow my cats to play with plastic bags; however, they LOVE tissue paper (the kind you wrap presents in).

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Abby licks them.

My RB kitty Chynna used to like to flatten them and lay on them.

Katie sometimes lays on them.

Spencer ignores them, unless something is rustling inside one, and then he's all interested! He loves the noise!

emilymaywilcha

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Patricia ran from paper bags hwen she heard the noise they made, but Emily got in them a few times. That was before all grocery stores switched to 100% plastic bags.

She also got her head stuck in a handle of a Bath and Body Works bag and was too scared to let me get it off for her while running all over  the house. So if you shop at BABW, cut the handles off!

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Katie loves them.  Unfortunately, there have been a couple of times when she's gotten her head stuck in the holes that form the handles.  Then she panics and races around the house trying to get it off, which just scares her even more.  I pretty much have to stand in one place until she runs by so I can grab her and get the bag off of her. 
    Needless to say, we don't let Katie play with plastic bags anymore.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Plastic bags are out of bounds here. A friend's Husky (pup) suffocated after putting her head in a bag of potato chips while home alone, and I've been especially careful about pets and plastic bags ever since.

Last edited:

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Kramer hates the sound of them, so he avoids them.

Boots LOVED them when he was a kitten, and used to jump around inside them, presumably because he liked the crinkly noise they made. He doesn't do that anymore.