What do you think?

Hoslund0821

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I got my kitty for free from a gentleman who had bought him and his brother together then decided he only wanted one cat. The lady he bought them from said they were half Himalayan and half Persian.

It doesn’t really matter to me because I love him so much and he’s the best kitty ever, but was just curious what y’all think?

He’s got a small head, short little legs, the most adorable fluffy tail, and his face is much flatter than other cats I’ve had.
Here’s Mr Bojangles:

3915BC27-CB96-4789-B9A2-32C8AB892C36.jpeg
B98361C4-4887-4480-9548-DA407E7842FE.jpeg
A20D79E5-B264-4CCA-87F7-1B35B1C697CD.jpeg

F390DF67-03DF-4C9B-A113-F8C55364DFE9.jpeg

8221BA4A-4ACA-4CAE-97BA-ADB8BCA043A5.jpeg

60D5A0B7-27FE-432C-B385-452B4F51A154.jpeg

Last edited:

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd say a ginger with white mackerel domestic short hair :) If his face is flatter he might have some persian or himalayan in him but wouldnt be that mix no, he's too short hair.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hoslund0821

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd say a ginger with white mackerel domestic short hair :) If his face is flatter he might have some persian or himalayan in him but wouldnt be that mix no, he's too short hair.
He seems to be getting fluffier as time goes on, which is interesting! I jokingly call him "fluffy butt" because his tail and butt are so fluffy that sometimes a little of his poo will stick to his fur down there. :lol:

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He really is cute!

I would also describe him as a red tabby and white domestic shorthair. He appears to have one of those in-between tabby patterns which can be described as mackerel, spotted, or "broken mackerel."

Persians are longhaired, and Himalayans are also longhaired, because they are colorpointed Persians. Since long hair is recessive, it is not possible for two longhaired cats to produce a shorthaired cat. So, your cat cannot be the offspring of a Persian and a Himalayan. Maybe they meant "half Persian / Himalayan" with one parent being identified as a Persian and/or Himalayan, and the other half being unidentified shorthaired domestic cat?

I think from his head type, it's believable that he could have some Persian ancestry. It looks like he has rounded level-set eyes, a definite dip in his profile, and a relatively short muzzle. He could have a relatively close ancestor that is a "doll-faced" Persian (moderate head type), or a more distant "flat-faced" Persian ancestor. These facial features could also be explained by ancestry from a different short-faced breed, like the British Shorthair.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hoslund0821

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He really is cute!

I would also describe him as a red tabby and white domestic shorthair. He appears to have one of those in-between tabby patterns which can be described as mackerel, spotted, or "broken mackerel."

Persians are longhaired, and Himalayans are also longhaired, because they are colorpointed Persians. Since long hair is recessive, it is not possible for two longhaired cats to produce a shorthaired cat. So, your cat cannot be the offspring of a Persian and a Himalayan. Maybe they meant "half Persian / Himalayan" with one parent being identified as a Persian and/or Himalayan, and the other half being unidentified shorthaired domestic cat?

I think from his head type, it's believable that he could have some Persian ancestry. It looks like he has rounded level-set eyes, a definite dip in his profile, and a relatively short muzzle. He could have a relatively close ancestor that is a "doll-faced" Persian (moderate head type), or a more distant "flat-faced" Persian ancestor. These facial features could also be explained by ancestry from a different short-faced breed, like the British Shorthair.
A8087069-D71D-409D-937C-8712CE7E1B70.jpeg

this is a poorly taken photo lol but this shows his fur all messy after I rubbed his belly. Is this not medium or more length fur? All of the shorthair cats I’ve had have never had thick fluffy fur like this, their fur definitely wouldn’t be long enough to hold a shape like this! Cats sure are interesting creatures lol

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Genetically, cats are either shorthaired or longhaired; there is no "medium hair" gene. However, within each of those categories, cats can have more or less hair, and can vary in coat texture, density, and to some extent length of the hairs.

For example, British Shorthairs and Oriental Shorthairs are both shorthaired breeds, but the British has much more hair than the Oriental.

Your cat is definitely a shorthaired cat, we can tell this from looking at his tail shape. Since short hair is dominant, we know that he has at least one shorthaired parent.