What do you think?

Zure

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 cats. We lived in apartments for a bit and things happened and we all moved in with a relative. They are now at a big house with a wooded backyard. For me, the living situation was a bit difficult. I didn't have a room and sleeping/living in the living room became a bit too much for me. I ended up moving with another relative who has 2 cats. I've been away from my cats for months and it sucks. I think they are being cared for but am weary because they go outside. Where they are, the backyard has lots of trees and seems pretty secluded. I didn't want them going outside but not being there, it happened.

I just want to be with my cats but this situation is somewhat complex to me. I would be asking the relatives I live with to bring in 2 more cats to have a total of 4 in our house and I'm concerned of the feelings my relative might have that currently has my cats. soon after we first moved into her house, one of my cats got out and got sick because he ate what appeared to be a quarter. We went to the vet and he was saved and put on antibiotics for 30 days. He was saved because she noticed he was acting strange, and because she nursed him back to health with the antibiotics for 30 days.

I am not thrilled that they go outside which is the reason I am considering all this. They've been going outside for months so I am a bit at ease with it, but I'm still concerned. I can't stop them from going outside over there, but if they are going to be outside anywhere, I think that is an ideal place for them to do that. If I were to bring them here, I am not sure how things would go with the other cats here, and I don't know that one of them wouldn't get out here. He is tricky and has a way of getting out. Over here would not be a good area for him to get out. There's not really a backyard, just lots of streets and houses.

I plan to be on my feet soon but this pandemic has put my plans on hold. This post is therapy more than anything else because I lean towards thinking I shouldn't do anything right now and just get them when I get back on my feet which hopefully will be in a few months. I just miss them and want them to be safe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Zure

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Input is welcome.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. So sorry for what you are going through. It sounds like your cats are doing OK with their current circumstances. If you can keep in constant touch with the current caretaker(s), so that they can give you some peace of mind about their well-being, that would help. If I understand the arrangement, one of your little ones was saved from a bad situation based on the keen observation from his current caretaker. That, by itself, should give you some consolation.

If you can't visit with them, can you use something like Skype to talk with the care givers, and maybe even see your cats and speak to them? Just sometimes, seeing them can help.

Zure

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the reply. I think I’m going to see if the family I’m with now will take them in.
There would be 4 cats in our home, 3 boys and a girl. I would be introducing a boy and a girl to the 2 cats that are here. Do you think there’d be a problem with the cats getting along? They are all spayed/neutered.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Whether or not they all will get along is not something any of us - nor you, probably - can forecast. But, you have a greater chance of success if you implement an introduction plan and stick with it. The plan will work as long as you do not move to a new step until the slowest adapting cat has successfully accomplished the previous step. Although not always the case, younger cats seem to adapt easier than older ones, so take that into consideration.

Below is a link to a TCS article on how to introduce cats, along with a few other helpful articles.
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Introducing Cats To Cats
How To Move With Your Cat To A New Home In A Safe Way
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home

Zure

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the info!