What do you think this little thing is?

jamaal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is my new kitten...he may just be a domestic long hair but he really looks like...something?!   He has tons of very long hair coming out of his ears which you can't see so much in the pictures, and his face is much more triangular, than in these pics.  His nose, from the side, is very straight, not turned up or curved like other cats.  I know he's just a kitten and it'll be easier to tell when he's bigger, but what do ya think??

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
His expression reminds me of some photos someone posted of the current look that is being bred for in the Maine Coons, which is very different from the Maine Coons I grew up with.  If I can find that old link, I'll copy the picture and send it to you.  In the meantime, you might try doing a Google search and checking out Maine Coons from breeders etc.  I know nothing about show standards but just remember that photo.  He's a gorgeous kitten in any case!

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

OK, I found the old discussion and the person I was talking with is MOSIMOM, and she has an entire album of her Maine Coon kitten Mosi posted with her signature, so I am sending you a link to the album rather than just one picture.  Also, she included a picture of Mosi's sire in the discussion, so I'm going to try to paste that picture in here too, because that's the one I think looks the most like your kitten.  This is just ONE photo from her album showing an entire litter of Maine Coons.  Yours looks like a black version of these.   Here is the link to her album: 

http://www.thecatsite.com/g/a/168285/mosi-maine-coon/

This is Mosi's sire, and he is from the European line where they are breeding for a very feral look.  He looks like he could be your kitten's sire too!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I myself think, sooner a Norwegian forest cat than Maine coon...  although no typical in there either.

A sweet nice cat..

I myself beilieve, its better to see them as nice domestic, beautiful in their own right, than

have them admitted as a look alikes of pet quality...  It seems somewhat to diminish them.

Although we had here examples of admitted moggies, what to somewhat look alike??, whom we decided must be the real thing, and even - of good qualtiy, as soon as the identification was done.    :)

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They all began as naturally occurring cats before humans started naming breeds, creating standards, and then making breeding choices based on those standards.  As Shakespeare said, "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet....."  (I think it was Shakespeare....)

Last edited:

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
He is very beautiful :heart4:

I agree with StefanZ I think the pedigree breed he most resembles would be more a Norwegian Forest cat than a Maine Coon.

Norwegian Forest cats have a more triangle face like your boy and the their noses are straight not curved just like your boys :D

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's another link to the breeder's web site, this one showing a black kitten too!  I did a Google search to find pictures of the Norwegian Forest Cats and they look more like the Maine Coons I remember from years ago than these new European Maine Coons do.  The breeds are still similar in appearance.

http://www.vasilismainecooncats.com/available-kittens#!__available-kittens/samara-&-alexi

I myself think, sooner a Norwegian forest cat than Maine coon...  although no typical in there either.

A sweet nice cat..

I myself beilieve, its better to see them as nice domestic, beautiful in their own right, than

have them admitted as a look alikes of pet quality...  It seems somewhat to diminish them.

Although we had here examples of admitted moggies, what to somewhat look alike??, whom we decided must be the real thing, and even - of good qualtiy, as soon as the identification was done.    :)
I agree with StefanZ that it is best to see them as nice domestic cats, beautiful in their own right, but I DISAGREE that calling them look-alikes diminishes them in any way --"pet quality" is only deemed less valuable to those who breed cats to show and win.  To the rest of us, they are ALL equally wonderful representatives of their breed.

Last edited: